Brewer Fanatic

Yost Fired, Sveum named Acting Manager; Yount bench coach, Iorg 3B coach

JenksFan5
  • Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:c8cH8vc5WMzawM:http://www.juegoterapia

This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Yost; it will soon see the end of the Tailspin.

As much as I appreciate this post, we all know how that movie ended. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

I know... I thought of that, but wanted to use it. I take full responsibility if our Death Star is destroyed.

The media stories popping up the last week, and especially today really paint an ugly picture of Yost and how he's perceived by his players. Really makes you think that maybe Ned wasn't the "players manager" that we've been lead to believe

I've felt that the "players' manager" moniker was just misused regarding Yost. I think he's probably pretty close as a person how he was in postgame 'comments'

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Well, here it is. The dismissal of Ned Yost is something I've wanted to happen for a very long time now.

Some thoughts:
- This move is far too late. I wished it would have happened after 2006. It should have happened after 2007, and at the very latest should have happened after the Boston series this season.

- Even though the timing seems crazy, nothing bad can come from it during the remainder of this season. It seems like the only possible outcomes are positive or neutral. I don't see anyway that this can cost the team anything. The organization (still tied for the wildcard) needed to try anything that could possibly spark this team for the remaining 12 games.

- I don't like Dale Sveum. He doesn't seem much different, or much brighter, than Ned. If any bad can come from this in the longterm, it is that now Sveum may have the opportunity to get the managerial job permanently. I would be very disappointed if this happened. I want the Brewers to find a more cerebral manager, with no ties to the organization.

- Ned Yost is no longer the Brewers manager. No matter how you slice it, that is a very good thing for the organization.

The media stories popping up the last week, and especially today really paint an ugly picture of Yost and how he's perceived by his players. Really makes you think that maybe Ned wasn't the "players manager" that we've been lead to believe.
Yes, but these were all stories from someone who knows someone who knows someone close to team. In the reactions from players so far the worst to be said about him was that some guys didn't like him and he was a nervous guy.

Sometimes, it's right to panic.

I agree it's a move of desperation...but so what? Desperate times call for desperate measures. I'm more upset that they didn't make this move at the end of last season. From all I've heard, Yost was not well-liked by many of the players, created a tense clubhouse, and had troublesome relationships with his coaches. Does this make the players perform poorly as the season wears on? I don't know. I'm guessing it doesn't help.

Pedro, once again I agree with you. I to can't say for sure if all that stuff that Ned brought to the team makes them play bad, but it sure can;t make them play good and feel lose. I think from all I have heard about Sveum is he has their respect and hopefully they play lose and good under him for 12 games, hopefully more then 12 games.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'm sorry but what a idiotic move. This reeks of Attanasio sticking his nose into baseball operations and calling this shot. I know it's his right blah, blah, blah....but I sure as heck don't want a California investment banker who probably never made it past Little League calling the baseball shots. I'm not a Yost fan or hater but to pull any manager who worked to get 16 games over and tied for the Wild Card lead for fricking Dale Svuem with TWELVE games left looks desperate and stupid. Unless Svuem gets the fairy dust out and puts a spell on Prince, Rickie, etc.'s bat fans are going to be dissapointed. This clearly was not a Melvin move cause he's not that naive. Sad thing is if by chance this works, I see Attanasio calling many more baseball shots which will be bad for us in the long run.

edit: fontodelics

Yost made SOOO many bad moves..

Hall vs. Rightys

No using Durham

Kendall everyday

Shouse vs. rightys

Gagne in the 8th

Sabathia's pitch count

Not pitch hitting for Kendall late in games

Using Gwynn/Counsell as the 1st guys off the bench

Those are all off the top of my head. He is just not the guy to bring us to a championship. is Sveum? maybe, Maybe not.

He should of been fired after last year. Im glad its done with.

Don't forget the use of Gagne, the non-use of Rivera, and the dreaded "one pitch away" idea for Soup (and others)

I'll think this was a dumb move even if we win the World Series.
Really? Wow. I think Yost was gone any which way so with as bad as we have been for two weeks I don't mind this move it might work, it might not either way we were not doing anything.
I could maybe see this move if we had a legit candidate waiting in the wings. Instead we're putting a first time manager in the driver's seat for our first playoff run in a quarter century. The logic just isn't there and I'll guarantee this gem wasn't a Melvin idea.

While I definitely think this is an appropriate move considering the way last September went and the way this one is going, I am mildy sorry to see Ned go because he seemed to have a competitive attitude that meshed greatly with the turnaround of this franchise. His shortcomings were obvious but the blame can't solely go on him for these breakdowns. The team seems more aware of getting booed at home (Hart) than realizing how poorly they are playing to warrant those boos. I'm more of a silent fan at games. I clap, never boo, but can entirely understand when others do. No one put this team in this position but the players. Everything has been attempted to give this team the best chance to win.

With that said I am tired of hearing people like John Kruk say that this team is in for a one year run, that we are going to be so bad next year with Sabathia and Sheets probably exiting. Sure we may be worse, but we may be better. There will be money opened up, we will gain Gallardo back and hopefully Melvin + Attanasio will remain a tandem and attempt to put the best team out there. Please national broadcasters, don't turn us into the 1997 Florida Marlins.

Care to offer any evidence of your opinion? Brewerfans, MLB scouts, and MLB executives thought the Brewers were being hurt by Neds lack of leadership. Calling Brewers fans idiots is classless and way off base. The Brewers fans here at Brewerfan.net are an extremely intelligent and educated bunch.

I am not trying by any means to rip on bf.net nation. I just think your comments are way off base in terms of the 'emotion'. Ned is not classless and if you're going to throw him under the bus about the fans there's a growing list of Brewers players who have ripped on the fans. Ned took a job nobody wanted and maybe he's not the right guy for the job now, but to call him classless and not have any leadership skills is just off IMO. He's not a great manager or anything, but come on. Why the hell would he even WANT to be in Milwaukee with comments like that. I'm sure we'll win the world series now that Ned is gone. If you need evidence of leadership, I don't know what you want. I already pointed that out, but you chose to rip on that 'evidence'. Ned isn't a great manager, but I do feel the way the team was constructed (ie the hitting is what's hurting the team IMO) is why the Brewers are failing. I like Melvin, but the guy kept stating he wanted a high OBP guys and to be honest IMO he didn't bring in those guys. We have too many home run or bust guys and that is why the team is struggling IMO.

So players who have to play for Yost don't bash him publicly, and we should be surprised by that? If they were to share that with someone, would you really be the one they would confide in?

I would be. I know some of the good and bad in the organization and I don't post any 'private' pieces like that if I feel it shouldn't be here. There are complaints about the organization don't get me wrong, but it's not 'Ned sucks!' that normally is alive and well on this site. Ned maybe cost them some games, but by and large the players supported him. I do think he lost the team a bit lately, but I have nothing to confirm that. I honestly don't know if you've been to a Sounds game, but there just aren't Sounds/Brewers fans down here. It's pretty easy to grab their ear a bit and it's a lot easier when you're in the age group of some of the players. I don't care if you discredit what I say. I just think I've shown a few times that I may actually know a thing or two from the players, but I don't feel the need to 'prove' it. I could bring up the negative I've heard, but in this situation Ned's name was really never mentioned...and that leads me to believe he lost the team as of late. Calling Ned classless is as smart as it is to boo the Brewers at home. We'll see how the fanbase you mention factors into the next manager.

News flash, you can be educated and intelligent and still be an idiot (or more accurately act like an idiot) like a lot of people on this very site do.

I don't feel thats an accurate discription of the people of this site. The posters here are extremely kind and civil to each other, and help make this site th finest fan site on the web. Ned Yost could have learned alot from this site, and it would have helped his career immensely.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived