Brewer Fanatic

Yost Fired, Sveum named Acting Manager; Yount bench coach, Iorg 3B coach

JenksFan5
  • Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's comments like this that sadly are one of the main reasons I'm glad Ned's gone. I'm not saying Ned was a great manager, but to call him classless and saying hey lacked ANY type of leadership is way off base.
Care to offer any evidence of your opinion? Brewerfans, MLB scouts, and MLB executives thought the Brewers were being hurt by Neds lack of leadership. Calling Brewers fans idiots is classless and way off base. The Brewers fans here at Brewerfan.net are an extremely intelligent and educated bunch.

The players in Nashville (ie those that have come up the past few years, rehabs, or being sent down due to stinking) do not share your opinion about leadership, but I guess throwing comments around like that makes more drama.
So players who have to play for Yost don't bash him publicly, and we should be surprised by that? If they were to share that with someone, would you really be the one they would confide in?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Even though Sveum said it was total coincidence, I have doubts about Robin being in the dugout last night a TOTAL coincidence. Iorg was in the dugout last night already too.
I already saw Iorg in the dugout during games last week.

I feel really good about this. I like our chances, this might be just what can get these guys going again.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Unless Mark A just lied and completely threw Melvin under the bus, it sounds like it was ultimately Melvin's decision when he described his role as essentially to possibly 'veto' Melvin's decisions....but never 'make' the decisions.
I didn't interpret Attanasio's statements that way. His press conference reference to the decisions "we've" made sounded to me like he's been more involved.

I just hope Sveum does a strict platoon with Ray and Rickie at 2B. Also pinch hit late in games for Counsell and Kendall. Maybe give Rivera a start or two. Let Mat Gamel at least be the 2nd lefty option off the bench.

Yep I agree.

More Durham vs RHP

More Rivera against RHP

Less Hall vs RHP, don't care who gets the starts even

Less Gwynn as PH

More Villanueva in high leverage innings

Less Shouse vs RHB

Buster Onley from ESPN also said Melvin could be in trouble but said it would be foolish to get rid of Melvin. He said a scout told him a few weeks ago if any team would stumble down the home stretch it would be the Brewers. He has a mutual friend of a Brewers player and this player predicted that Sveum would be manager by end of the season.
Did he give any reasons why the scout thought if any team would stumble it would be the Brewers? Was it because of Yost, or just that the don't think highly of the players talent level?

(edit: long quote --1992)

Less Hall vs RHP, don't care who gets the starts even
Less Gwynn as PH
More Villanueva in high leverage innings
Less Shouse vs RHB

No doubt, Hall should only play against LHP the rest of the way. If that.

Gwynn should only be used to pinch run and a last resort pinch hitter in a long extra's game.

Villa has probably been the most reliable out of the pen as of late. He needs to pitch in important innings. Dillard looked good last night to, wouldn't mind seeing him get some chances.

Shouse should NOT face a right handed hitter the rest of this season.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I do not believe Mark A. I think he absolutely initiated the firing. The reason I say this is because a reporter asked the question, "Did you broach the idea of firing Yost to Doug, or did Doug broach the idea to you." And Mark's response, "I don't remember." To me, that doesn't pass the smell test.
Yeah, to me the whole presser seemed like Doug trying to wash his hands of the move and Mark trying to dance around every question.

If we win the pennant, you're going to remember where you were on September 15 when Ned Yost was fired.

I was at the Cubs/Astros game this afternoon when I received "the call." I was ecstatic. Everybody on this board was fed up with his atrocious bullpen management, insistence on sticking with Hall v. RHP, Shouse v. LHP, obsession with Jason Kendall. We're not in a position to speculate about Yost's presence in the clubhouse, but those rumors circulating from ESPN (a player's friend commenting on Yost's job status) sounded toxic. I have no clue whether these trends will continue (Dale doesn't inspire much confidence), but I feel a change was necessary based on those rumors.

This move won't "spark" this team. It's not going to help them hit homers or help groundballs find holes, but it was time for a change. I know many here have been waiting for this for years. IMO, it should have happened on May 20 or October 1, 2007.

It's comments like this that sadly are one of the main reasons I'm glad Ned's gone. I'm not saying Ned was a great manager, but to call him classless and saying hey lacked ANY type of leadership is way off base.
Care to offer any evidence of your opinion? Brewerfans, MLB scouts, and MLB executives thought the Brewers were being hurt by Neds lack of leadership. Calling Brewers fans idiots is classless and way off base. The Brewers fans here at Brewerfan.net are an extremely intelligent and educated bunch.

The players in Nashville (ie those that have come up the past few years, rehabs, or being sent down due to stinking) do not share your opinion about leadership, but I guess throwing comments around like that makes more drama.
So players who have to play for Yost don't bash him publicly, and we should be surprised by that? If they were to share that with someone, would you really be the one they would confide in?

News flash, you can be educated and intelligent and still be an idiot (or more accurately act like an idiot) like a lot of people on this very site do. Here is my take on Ned Yost. He was hired to manage a team that a major of people wouldn't want to touch with a 40 foot pole. He can into a terrible situation in which the team lost 106 games the previous year and had not had a winning season in 11 years. Doug Melvin basically said to him, "I'm not going to get free agents for you to win with. We are going to build from within and it is your job to make this team competitive again until our draft picks progress and we can get in the position we need to be in. Have fun. I'll talk to you in a couple of years." And Yost did the best he could with almost nothing. In fact, he he made a 25-game improvement in 3 years! If it was not for a butt load of injuries in '06, whose knows what that team would have done.

Now to the bad. Yes, Yost made a ton of mistakes in '07. But as many baseball writers pointed out since then, they didn't have the horses to be a truly good team in '07. Outside of Cordero, their bullpen was a mess, the starting pitching was suspect (especially with the ear-infection prone Ben Sheets), and one of (if not) the youngest teams in baseball. They just didn't have the horses to finish the race. Think about it, 85 wins won the division. Is an 85 win team really that good of a team? IMO no its just a good team in a bad division. I think Ned has made huge improvements over the last year. Bullpen is still a mess, but that is more on DM than anyone else. This team won 80 games in 5 months, then like a light switch, just went dark. Nothing happened to the team, no one go injured (significantly), the players just fell apart. This team as it is constructed is no different then the team that went 20-7 in August. They just went into a funk. It happens about 2-3 times a season in my experience. Will they get out of this, yes. Will it be because Ned is no longer in the clubhouse, I don't think so. I just hope it is sooner rather then later and it is not too later. Ned not being there is not going to make Cameron stop striking out, make Fielder a better overall player, or make Bill Hall remember how to play baseball.

So in conclusion, you can be pissed off at Ned Yost for the mistakes he made. If they don't make the playoffs he would have been fired anyways (and rightfully so), but before you start calling him classless, an idiot, and good for nothing, remember that he took this franchise under his wings, along with DM, and made it respectable again, playoffs or not. He made Milwaukeeans care about baseball again and he made the baseball nation remember that Milwaukee is a great baseball town. Ned Yost, like it or not, is a big part of the turn around of this franchise. And for that he should be thanked.

Not sure if this was covered before (not that I saw), but Glenn Hoffman did a bit on local radio in the Lacrosse area this afternoon and he reports that 'people' close to the team told him that several players went to DM before the Philly trip regarding Ned.

I've been completely absent from the fire Yost threads largely because I think pretty much every manager has strengths and weaknesses and judging them one game at a time is problematic. In general it's been clear that Yost has difficulty managing a bullpen, but that by itself isn't enough to justify this kind of move. Nor do I think the desperation argument is one that works against this. This team was desperate and should have been after the weekend. I was purposely not listening to the games for crying out loud and I've been routing here since the bad only Dean Taylor days.

Sundays bullpen move with Shouse was so inexplicably bad that it was enough to fire him on the spot. There is no alternative to make it a good move. A lot of these moves that are bad you can come up some half hearted counter argument. There simply was none for the intentional walk and letting Shouse pitch to Burrell. It is inexcusable to make that kind of mistake. Sending a base runner can happen in the heat of the moment misjudged kind of way. This was a deliberate decision. Given all of the other things in the background as well it is perfectly justifiable to use it as the final straw and make a convincing argument that he was going to actively hurt the teams chances in a significant way. The replacement might not be better, but after last year's collapse it was the right move.

Not sure if this was covered before (not that I saw), but Glenn Hoffman did a bit on local radio in the Lacrosse area this afternoon and he reports that 'people' close to the team told him that several players went to DM before the Philly trip regarding Ned.
Wow, if that is true that is crazy.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

A few thoughts/questions

1) Did anyone see Melvin playing with his fingers early in the press conference? He looked really nervous or uncomfortable up there. Or maybe he just has a lot of energy to burn off, but if he was on a Cop show on TV, everyone would think he was guilty.

2) I did find it amusing that they somewhat insinuated that Ned was fired because he doesn't have any answers, but the Dale's answer seems to be, the players need to perform. Why didn't Ned think of that?

3) I was putting the kids to bed, so I missed the second half of the pressers, did anyone ask if they considered anyone else besides Dale to come in?

4) Ned gets fired and we seem to get 100 stories about the horrible clubhouse atmosphere last year and this year by the national news media. Where was Tom H. or any of the other local sports reports on these stories last year?

5) Someone a few pages back posted that by firing the manager we've given up on the season. The late Harvey K and Jack Mckeon would disagree with that statement.

Yost made SOOO many bad moves..

Hall vs. Rightys

No using Durham

Kendall everyday

Shouse vs. rightys

Gagne in the 8th

Sabathia's pitch count

Not pitch hitting for Kendall late in games

Using Gwynn/Counsell as the 1st guys off the bench

Those are all off the top of my head. He is just not the guy to bring us to a championship. is Sveum? maybe, Maybe not.

He should of been fired after last year. Im glad its done with.

He made Milwaukeeans care about baseball again and he made the baseball nation remember that Milwaukee is a great baseball town. Ned Yost, like it or not, is a big part of the turn around of this franchise. And for that he should be thanked.

The Brewers improved from 2003-2008 because their personnel improved, and because Mark A. purchased the franchise. If Ned were some kind of savior, there's no way he'd receive the kind of flack he hears from this site. He was at the helm during the 2004 collapse, a team that was 41-34 on July 1. Granted, the team was overachieving, but they won 26 games in the final three months. In 2007, Yost melted down in late Sept. (remember, the Cardinals series conincided with a Florida sweep of the Cubs -- the door was wide open). And, the details are pouring out about the "nature" of the clubhouse these past couple of weeks. Most on this website (heck, almost everybody) believes Yost is a bad manager; according to one at NSBB: "any day is a good day to fire a manager as bad as Yost." The credit for the renaissance goes to Mark A., Jack Z., and to an extent, Melvin.

Archived