Brewer Fanatic

Yost Fired, Sveum named Acting Manager; Yount bench coach, Iorg 3B coach

JenksFan5
  • Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watching Fox 6 news, and Yount is confirmed to serve as the bench coach
As the World Turns. Jeez.

If the Brewers somehow make the playoffs now, with Yost getting canned as the team is still technically in the Wild Card lead with two weeks to go and then being led onwards to victory against the odds by The Easter Sunday Hero and The Greatest Brewer of All-Time, this could officially be the craziest Brewers story ever, right up there with the '87 win streak and the win against the Orioles in '82.

It's way up there already.

My take: I have generally been a supporter of Ned and I think he did a great job for the most part. However, I think it is time to bring in a more hard-nosed guy that will challenge his players a bit more. I like the Sveum move for now because I think it would be a big mistake to bring in someone from the outside and expect to win right away not knowing a lot about the players yet, and I would guess that Simmons didn't want it anyway since he and Ned are such good friends from what I've read. Really though, I don't think this was as much a move to replace Yost, but rather just a move to hopefully kick the players in the rear and get them going again.

I doubt Sveum will be back as manager next year unless we win the pennant, but who knows. I don't know any more than what's posted here, but bringing Yount in as bench coach would make sense, he and Sveum are tight and Yount knows a lot about these players. With all that said, I hope that an experienced and proven manager is brought in next year. I'm gonna throw out a name here and probably get heat for it, but how about Joe Torre? He has Milwaukee ties and is a highly successful manager and commands respect. He has said he still has friends in Milwaukee, and maybe he's not in love with the LA lifestyle. Or maybe he is. I also would be happy with Valentine or Brenly.

I have ESPN 1070 in Milwaukee on in the background and they had guests with some interesting comments .

raig Coshun predicted that if the Brewers didn't make the playoffs Mark A will shake up the organization and Melvin could well be looking for job. Said the Jack Z is in the firmist position w/in the organization. Made it clear he did not necessarily say Jack Z will get the top job if Melvin goes- just that his body of work is unquestioned. Also said players have a tremendous, tremendous amount of respect for Sveum

Buster Onley from ESPN also said Melvin could be in trouble but said it would be foolish to get rid of Melvin. He said a scout told him a few weeks ago if any team would stumble down the home stretch it would be the Brewers. He has a mutual friend of a Brewers player and this player predicted that Sveum would be manager by end of the season.

Yount is not a coach. There was a little bit in the MJS saying that Yount was in NY for some sort of autograph show and stopped by Philly for a game or two on his way home.

I am thrilled that Ned Yost is gone. His incompetence and stupidity cost us the post-season last year, and I will NEVER forgive him for that. I wanted him thrown out the door last season and I was shocked he still had a job heading into this season.

I am thrilled that I will no longer have to here Ned's stupid press conferences in which he continues to insult our intelligence. I also hated watching C.C. Sabathia have ridiculous pitch counts for absolutely no reason . . . and why did Brian Shouse face three straight righties yesterday?

Good riddance.

Yount is not a coach. There was a little bit in the MJS saying that Yount was in NY for some sort of autograph show and stopped by Philly for a game or two on his way home.
I can see Mark A and Robin over beers in his suite last night: "Yeah, so we're canning Ned tomorrow. Wanna come along for this roller-coaster ride for a coupla weeks?"

I am waiting to see the explination from management on this one, but if it runs along the lines of "we needed to shake things up" it will be strike 2 for this ownership. I am not upset Yost is gone, but to fire a manager at any point during a season is pretty much quittig in my eyes. I guess the Brewers just quit for this season. This is a good PR move, but that's all it is at this point.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Yount serving as bench coach. I think the permanent manager may well end up being Bob Brenly. Just a hunch that Yount's being brought in as a Brenly confidant and surrogate. Brenly having won with Arizona and watched Piniella close up for 2 years would be a very interesting choice.

A lot of uproar is the timing of this move. But if you analyze it, it becomes clear. Attanasio lives in LA but he's a NY guy. Getting swept by both Mets and Phillies could not have set well with him. I think he came to the conclusion he didn't want Yost back next year, but he had to pre-empt the possibility that Ned would squeak them in and force his hand to either keep him against his better judgement or fire the first manager to take this team to the playoffs in 26 years. So pull the plug now and get it done.

I am waiting to see the explination from management on this one, but if it runs along the lines of "we needed to shake things up" it will be strike 2 for this ownership. I am not upset Yost is gone, but to fire a manager at any point during a season is pretty much quittig in my eyes. I guess the Brewers just quit for this season. This is a good PR move, but that's all it is at this point.

I dunno, sticking with a manager who is clearly incompetent seems more like quitting than making a move does.

I'm elated that Ned is dead. He was a classless individual who had the audacity to call the fans idiots despite his total lack of success as a manager. He was absent of any type of leadership ability.

It's comments like this that sadly are one of the main reasons I'm glad Ned's gone. I'm not saying Ned was a great manager, but to call him classless and saying hey lacked ANY type of leadership is way off base. The players in Nashville (ie those that have come up the past few years, rehabs, or being sent down due to stinking) do not share your opinion about leadership, but I guess throwing comments around like that makes more drama. Ned made some bad moves in the pen and various other moves, but Ned is not a bad guy and very much wanted to win in Milwaukee. I would hope that he at least gets a tiny bit of respect for that and so far the feedback here has surprised me. It's been pretty mature and there haven't been all that many bashing Ned comments.

Archived