Brewer Fanatic

Yost Fired, Sveum named Acting Manager; Yount bench coach, Iorg 3B coach

JenksFan5
Remember, this team was projected by respected sites (Baseball prospectus) to win 83 games at the beginning of the year.
That projection was made before the arival of CC. Yet another reason why season long predictions are a sticky ordeal.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just so I am clear on policies...political comments that are critical of George Bush are allowed, but those that might be considered complimentary (as in a comparison to Bud Selig) are deleted? Got it.

All political posts have been hidden. I thought the original post about facial expressions wasn't outrageous, and hoped it wouldn't spin off, but clearly that was foolish. Please refrain from further delving into politics, everyone. Thanks.
I know this is off topic; I swear no more posts about it after this one. My post was meant to compare the leadership styles of Bush and Yost, I didn't mean it to be negative and didn't think it was. In baseball and politics, I think leaders tend to get too much blame and too much credit.

At this point I'd also like to recommend the book 'Avoiding Politics' by Nina Eliasoph, and I promise, no more remotely political posts ever. Go Brewers!

You may run like Mays...

Just so I am clear on policies...political comments that are critical of George Bush are allowed, but those that might be considered complimentary (as in a comparison to Bud Selig) are deleted? Got it.

When will we get Keith Olbermann's opinion on the Yost firing?

Well, one thing is for sure, the Brewers definitely could use a surge. It worked once.

In all fairness, I've made the same comparison internally over the past few years, but never said it due to the apolitical bend of the site. (I probably have a different rationale than most here would, but that's all I'll say in that regard.)

Ben, i would assume they PH for him...that's commonplace, as you are usually behind.

That did happen in at least one of the games (Padres game on the 7th), but IMO, if your long reliever is due up in the next inning, you double switch at the bottom of your lineup, or put in a 1-inning guy followed by your long reliever in the next inning. It wouldn't bother me, except that McClung was one of the Brewers more consistent pitchers before going into the rotation (not best, just consistent) and since coming out of the rotation has been bypassed by less-effective guys (e.g. Riske), presumably because of Seth's new role in the bullpen.

Interesting tidbit in TH's blog about the records of Brewers' management over the years:

Phil Garner 1992-'99 563-617 .477

Ned Yost 2003-'08 457-502 .477

Front loaded with 92 wins in 92 for Garner and end loaded with Yost having his best season in 08!

Why is Yount back coaching with the Brewers? Does anyone think it's an indication that he could possibly be the 2009 manager?
I think its a possibility. That or he liked his position as a bench coach, but did not agree with Ned on many levels and is much more in line with Svuem's managing style

Interesting tidbit in TH's blog about the records of Brewers' management over the years:

Phil Garner 1992-'99 563-617 .477

Ned Yost 2003-'08 457-502 .477

Front loaded with 92 wins in 92 for Garner and end loaded with Yost having his best season in 08!

Yeah, that's what I found especially interesting about it.

In the last 14 days:

Kendall: .186 1-5 (ave, Hr-RBI)

Fielder: .218 2-14 (28 days)

Weeks: .303 1-1

Hall: .167 0-1

JJ: .190, 4-6

Braun: .192, 1-2 .231 for 28 days

Cameron: .122, 1-2

Hart: .176, 0-2 .229 for 28 games

You can't fire all the players so Ned is gone!

Yes but in the few winnable games in that stretch Yost has blown them with poor managing. I would think the sequence of ABs that led to Shouse IBB Howard and then pitching to Burrell was the final straw. You cannot have faith in a manager that could make that large of a blunder.

i still think with Yost's rah-rah attitude, he was the perfect manager to step in and take over a team that had been miserable for so long. it's just been a while since that attitude, i think his greatest strength, has been what's needed for this club.

that he was always so overly-positive or seemingly ignorant of poor play to the media i actually think was good. no doubt he was far different inside the clubhouse, but there's rarely reason to call out a player in front of the media.

i don't understand, though, how Sveum's apparent lack of ability to send or stop runners to home translates to his managerial prowess.

The final straw was Shouse pitching to the right handers. Other blunders that come to mind are:

Playing Weeks over Ray especially with rt handed pitchers

Putting Gywnn into the game instead of Hart.

Letting Gywnn bat period!

Playing Mike Lamb at all.

Not using Carlos more in the pen. (He does have the best ERA of anybody out of the pen)

Using Gagne in the 8th inning.

Letting CC pitch 130 pitches when up 9-2.

Heard interview from Craig Coshon this afternoon that the players all respect Dale!!!!

The first thing I would do if I was Dale is move Manny to the pen!

Where is this info on Yount coaching right now? I was at an event with Robin where he allowed us free reign to ask questions from about 15 of us. He indicated he loved coaching during the game itself, but he really did not like the off the field stuff at all. I got the feeling he'd be torn about getting back into it ever again. I'd be surprised if he came back. I'd hate to see us get into the old Packer way of picking coaches. Going with former players is not the best. Money might be an exception, because at least the experience is there.

For Ned to be fired now suggest that something happened that we are unaware of. Oddly timed firings often are the result of insubordination or player insurrection. I think that there was some kind of meeting that took place between MA (or DM at MA's request) and Ned, or the players and management. Someone then came to the conclusion that this just couldn't work. That is my guess.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Ted just doesn't want to manage. His background has been in talent evaluation and player development. He has had health problems in the past. He may have asked to be reassigned.

I'm elated that Ned is dead. He was a classless individual who had the audacity to call the fans idiots despite his total lack of success as a manager. He was absent of any type of leadership ability. A truely bold move by Melvin.

Making the playoffs with Yost at the helm would have been bittersweet. Now it will just be sweet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Wow. I was completely surprised by this when I get out of class, but this was the first time I was able to post anything.

Like so many others who have already posted, I expected Yost to get fired, but I didn't think it would take place until after the season. I'm skeptical about what the effects will be, but what the hell else were they going to do? If he's as good as gone, why not? I also think it should have been done before the season.

My initial reaction was impressed until I saw that Sveum was named in the interim. I threw my hat in response thinking that Sveum wouldn't be a different voice, but I've come here for perspective and I've calmed down. If Dale is different from Ned, and if Yount was as well, this may turn out alright.

Now there's nothing else to do but wait.

Archived