Brewer Fanatic

BA's Top Prospect lists, league by league

colbyjack

BA kicked off their top prospect season today with their annual league-by-league lists, starting with the Arizona League.

The information is for subscribers only, but RHP Jake Odorizzi made the list as the league's 7th best prospect while Seth Lintz was ranked the league's 15th best prospect. Nothing new as to why they were there, as Odorizzi was praised for his easy arm and overall athleticism, 93 mph FB and slider while Lintz was hype for his 90-93 FB and true 12-to-6 CB. Odorizzi had a dead-arm period that he had to fight through while Lintz obviously struggled with control. At 21 and 18 innings respectively, they had by far the fewest innings of any other pitcher on the list.

I'm not sure what the cut-off was, but I'm guessing Cody Scarpetta at 15 innings just missed being eligible.

Former unsigned Brewers draftee Terrell Alliman was 19th on the list as a member of the Angels organization.

Friend of Brewerfan Bill Mitchell compiled the ist, and will be taking questions (again, for subscribers) at 2:00 pm CST.

Here's the remaining schedule. The Pioneer League is up Thursday:

http://www.baseballameric...rospects/2008/266854.html

I submitted one question to today's chat:

Q: Did Cody Scarpetta just miss the cut due to innings pitched? Any thoughts on some of the more high ceiling AZ Brewers such as Shawn Zarraga, Luis Guerrero, Blake Billings, Hitaniel Arias and Jose Garcia?

A: Scarpetta fell short of innings and I never did get to see him pitch, but check out those K/9 totals at both levels! Of the other Brewers you mention, the one that drew the most comments was Jose Garcia. The AZL staff at the Brewers complex like this 17-year-old. He's got a solid body and power potential, but he's still very raw. Arias is even more unrefined. Good body, some power potential, but many years away. I got some favorable comments about Guerrero and Billings, but really nothing on Zarraga.

A little surprised about the lack of comments for Zarraga. Since there is no media coverage of the AZ League, it is hard to tell what players are making names for themselves, but since Shawn was a deadline signing, for a pretty good bonus, he appeared to have a pretty good season, at least based on box scores.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Komatsu was born 10/1/87.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

17 seems pretty good for a guy that is on the short side therefore limiting his overall potential. BA usually is all about the tools.

Nothing new with Dykstra's writeup, or Komatsu's for that matter, but it was nice to see both Nieves and Peralta make the list. Nieves' velocity as we've heard/guessed before was up in the 90-91 range while Peralta was 93-97. Add two more talented players to the list of those slated to play at Appleton next year, giving most of us a chance to see them first-hand.

Sally League list is up today. Caleb Gindl is only West Virginia player in top 20, coming in at 18. Comments on him are generally favorable, comparing him in size and tools to Brian Giles. The impression is that he's a hard working, dedicated type who lacks the physical gifts of those ranked higher on the list in what looks like a pretty gifted league this year.

Sally League list is up today. Caleb Gindl is only West Virginia player in top 20, coming in at 18. Comments on him are generally favorable, comparing him in size and tools to Brian Giles. The impression is that he's a hard working, dedicated type who lacks the physical gifts of those ranked higher on the list in what looks like a pretty gifted league this year.

The fact that Gindl made the list is pretty impressive. I remember Gallardo didnt even make the list. Link

The fact that Gindl made the list is pretty impressive. I remember Gallardo didnt even make the list.

I'm not sure if that makes it more impressive, or reinforces the notion that these lists really need to be taken with a grain of salt. I re-read the chat with John Manuel, one of the columnists at BA I respect the most, and noticed I had submitted a question wondering how Gallardo (among a few others from a loaded Power squad that year) missed the cut. I know the Sally League is always deep, but outside of Braun, Hunter Pence and the NY reputation of Phil Hughes, who on that list has done better than Yo since that list was released? By that time, the excitement for Yo was building quite a bit of momentum, as it's not like his success in the FSL and Southern League the following year was that huge of a surprise.

While I'm happy and encouraged that Gindl made it, knowing that these lists are often a collaboration between the responses from the league managers, info gathered from scouts and somewhat of a popularity contest, I still thought Lucroy would make it for sure.

And that also makes me somewhat surprised by the comments written about him in the FSL list. They note he's an offensive-minded catcher that has a good arm and quick release, but needs significant improvement in all other facets of his defensive skills. That's a pretty different report from what we've been hearing ever since the team drafted Lucroy.

Jeffress and Green were both praised and criticized for the same things we're used to: The power arm yet need for polish for Jeffress and the all-out approach despite limited tools for Green (also a mention that Green is rumored to be the player the Indians prefer as the PTBNL, but it probably wouldn't be wise to go out of your way to openly credit BA for this since it is subscriber based).

I really like the FSL list of players... probably because I covet Porcello... I'd rather the Brewers start making some trades to acquire pitchers prior to them getting MLB experience, or very limited experience so they aren't so expensive. I think the commentary that the FSL seems to get the bulk of the good pitching prospects is spot on as well, at least since I've been following the minors.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Thanks Colby. Other than the blurb that said he projects as a big league backup that has since been credited to me, I've never heard anything about his D. Green seems like a Loretta type, limited skills, but he can play. I have to include Jeffress in my personal top 5, as he's kept his nose clean all year. He still may well tumble, as he's young and immature, but you can't overlook a #1 ceiling forever.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Baseball America:

SOUTHERN LEAGUE TOP 20 PROSPECTS

1. Clayton Kershaw, lhp, Jacksonville (Dodgers)

2. David Price, lhp, Montgomery (Rays)

3. Cameron Maybin, of, Carolina (Marlins)

4. Matt LaPorta, of, Huntsville (Brewers)

5. Alcides Escobar, ss, Huntsville (Brewers)

6. Chris Volstad, rhp, Carolina (Marlins)

7. Mat Gamel, 3b, Huntsville (Brewers)

8. Michael Saunders, of, West Tenn (Mariners)

9. Tommy Hanson, rhp, Mississippi (Braves)

10. Wade Davis, rhp, Montgomery (Rays)

11. Chris Coghlan, 2b, Carolina (Marlins)

12. Jeremy Hellickson, rhp, Montgomery (Rays)

13. Jordan Schafer, of, Mississippi (Braves)

14. James McDonald, rhp, Jacksonville (Dodgers)

15. Ivan DeJesus, ss, Jacksonville (Dodgers)

16. Jake McGee, lhp, Montgomery (Rays)

17. Angel Salome, c, Huntsville (Brewers)

18. Michael Brantley, cf, Huntsville (Brewers)

19. Adam Moore, c, West Tenn (Mariners)

20. Luis Valbuena, 2b, West Tenn (Mariners)

Considering Kershaw, Price, Maybin and Volstad all had significant minutes on playoff contenders that list is pretty impressive and so are the rankings of the Brewers guys. The Rays minor league pitching is just sick. 4 guys in the top 16. I feel Salome's defensive liabilities are held a little too much against him, but I guess a guy like Gamel who seems worse defensively can always play a corner OF or 1st, whereas Salome probably wont move to a corner OF spot

The Southern League is always loaded with talent, so to have five Stars and four current farmhands represented on that list is pretty high praise. Also, the top prospect lists aren't like their hot lists, in which players are ranked based on how well they're hitting, meaning just because Gamel finished the year slow doesn't mean his status as a prospect changed rapidly from July to August.

I feel Salome's defensive liabilities are held a little too much against him, but I guess a guy like Gamel who seems worse defensively can always play a corner OF or 1st, whereas Salome probably wont move to a corner OF spot.

You nailed it right there. Salome is such an interesting prospect because it would seem to be catcher or bust for him. He has such a high boom or bust potential overall that it's hard to get a sense of which way he'll go once he makes it to Milwaukee.

I'm growing more and more on Alcides Escobar, because the comments are always the same. His defense is spectacular, and he is improving offensively with the ability to steal bases. He's the one positional prospect the Brewers have had in recent years that doesn't have any questions about his ability to stick at his current position.

Which can't be said for Gamel, Salome and even Brantley. Brantley concerns me because once again the remark was made that while he has very polished offensive skills, the same can't be said for his defense, and he may be best suited for either LF or 1B, where his severe lack of power would be detrimental at those positions. I really hope this guy can turn the corner in CF (assuming he's not the much debated PTBNL), as the Brewers could really use a player like him that knows how to get on base.

FYI, Steve Garrison was rated the Texas League's 14th best prospect with Will Inman just behind him at #15. Garrison was praised for his command of a 3-pitch repertoire, including a 88 mph FB and hard slider but noted how he got shut down in August, while Inman got some love for leading the TL in Ks and finishing fourth in ERA but also led the league in walks, noting that his command has deteriorated since the Linebrink trade.

Archived