Brewer Fanatic

letting go of 26 years. Zen for the fan.

Thurston Fluff

As this month has shown 26 years without a playoff appearance has a price that must be paid. If this team had made the playoffs once in a while since 82 this team would be seen for what it is not for what it is not. It is a good young team capable of making the playoffs but has enough holes in it to make it far from a sure thing. Instead of enjoying another solid season of winning baseball we all cringe suffer and cry over every loss. I am no different. I see the players struggle to score more than two runs a game and am envious of the Royals bullpen about now. I see the team struggle to get the 26 year old gorilla off it's back before it gets one year bigger. I see a young team struggling with an unfair burden. What's fair about heaping all of 26 years of failure on the best team we have seen in that time. After all the Brewers teams of the 80's and early 90's had two hall of famers on them and a supporting cast of veterans and they only managed one playoff birth in all the time they were here. Their failures now become the 08 team's burden.

It isn't fair but it is what it is and it is not going to go away until one of these teams plays in October. The reason I think we should all take a deep breath is this team is exactly what the Brewers promised us six years ago. A winning team capable of contending for a playoff spot every year. Maybe it's time we gave this team a break and just enjoy a winning team. Let the pressure ease up so they can carry the burden of past failures. Instead of booing the bad plays focus on the good ones. Instead of lamenting the crappy series look forward to how this team always seems to come out of them stronger. When all is said and done this team is good enough to contend and is. That is a far cry form the usual Septembers here. Sometimes I think we should see the fact that we are contending vs fretting if we are going to go 27 years without a playoff appearance. At least then we can enjoy one of the best teams the Brewers have fielded in two decades as opposed to hating every moment of winning baseball. After all playoff chances are supposed to be what we were waiting for.

If the brewer fail to make the playoffs I will be disappointed. The only way I will be more disappointed if I don't even enjoy the ride. So for myself I'll let go of my anger at Prince for letting himself go physically. I'll let go of the hatred I feel for Hart's decline in the second half. I'll let go of the lack of respectable relievers. I'll let go the hole at third base and the lack of lefties in the lineup. I'll let go of wondering what the hitting coach is actually doing and Ned's apprehension. For the rest of the season I'm just going to enjoy baseball for baseball's sake. Enjoy every game we win and let go of everyone we lose. The Brewers promised winning baseball and a playoff team. They have done everything they promised so far except get to the post season. Considering they did what they said in every other respect I'm willing to believe that can be accomplished as well. After all they have been pretty good on their promises so far.

My advice to the Brewers and Ned is realize you are not part of the past 26 years of questionable baseball. You are the answer. The contender. Play for today and leave the past to take responsibility for it's own poor play then the final step to the playoffs will be much easier.

Go Brewers I am there for you cheering every step of the way.

Mods

If this thread seems pointless feel free to tell me so. Just felt the need to get it off my chest.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

My advice to the Brewers and Ned is realize you are not part of the past 26 years of questionable baseball.

I agree with this, and I'd guess that the team itself probably realizes this. It's the fans, local media, and the Brewers marketing department that won't let it go.

Nice post, backupcatchers. I am grateful for the off day today. Not for the team's sake, but for mine! This has been painful. I purposely didn't pay much attention to the doubleheader because I expected them to get swept and I wasn't going to sit around and suffer through it. I'm taking your advice today and realizing it has been a great season to watch Brewer baseball. They can and should still make the playoffs, but if they don't I still have had a fun time and will miss the season when it's over.

Archived