Brewer Fanatic

Longing for LaPorta

Hate those Rodents
It's all about the window to compete, the organizations have to match up of course. In the Rays case they already have plenty of pitching with Price on the way but need a big bat, Toronto is rebuilding, and LAA made a move to aquire Teixeira (Fielder anyone?)... It is something you can do every day? Certainly not, but the Brewers could have aquired Cain this offseason if they had the talent developed enough to have the assets in place to make a deal. Would I trade Gallardo now? No, because this is our window and the Brewers don't have enough pitching the way it is... again it comes to down to organizations motivated enough to deal with one another. Another deal I often bring up is Volquez for Hamilton, because that happened in the division, Young for Garza (and change both ways) is another deal that happened this offseason... it is certainly possible to aquire good, young, starting pitching, and I think that's a much better route than signing declining FA pitchers to market value contracts.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chances are LaPorta would not have played in 2009 much anyway. Ned doesn't vary his lineups much. La Porta's only opportunity would come at the expense of Hart or Fielder and I don't either of them sitting out much '09.
Actually, if LaPorta were still around, my choice would be Braun back to third, Hall to the bench or dealt.

I'm amazed nobody is kicking around going back to Braun-Hardy-Weeks from third to second.

Amazed? Braun was a butcher at 3B last year, and has no errors this year in LF. Why would anyone want to move him again at this point?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Chances are LaPorta would not have played in 2009 much anyway. Ned doesn't vary his lineups much. La Porta's only opportunity would come at the expense of Hart or Fielder and I don't either of them sitting out much '09.
Actually, if LaPorta were still around, my choice would be Braun back to third, Hall to the bench or dealt.

I'm amazed nobody is kicking around going back to Braun-Hardy-Weeks from third to second.

Amazed? Braun was a butcher at 3B last year, and has no errors this year in LF. Why would anyone want to move him again at this point?
Because I'd rather have an awesome-hit, no-field 3B than the Hall/Counsell platoon there... finding a solid corner OF is easier than finding a 3B.

Archived