Brewer Fanatic

Longing for LaPorta

Hate those Rodents

The guy is going to be a regular all-star and for my money will be a better 1B man (if they play him there) than Prince Fielder. I guess it's cool to say CC pitched in a brewer uniform and he surely has been dominant, but if we don't make the playoffs we lose BIG TIME on this trade.

Any chance we can get trade backs?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right, I mean it's easy to say this now at this point of the season, but when we rattled off 8 in a row in August and were in control of our destiny, nobody could be found complaining about the trade. I think most agree the trade was a good one, and to some extent was neccessary. This is our year, and if it playoffs don't become a reality this year, it should be considered a huge dissapointment. We may not have another chance like this in a while; we had to make that trade.

This was one of the best trades in Brewers history from a Brewers prospective whether we make the playoffs or not. The Linebrink trade was another. You don't get players for nothing unless your dealing with Washington. What both the Linebrink deal last year and especially the Sabathia trades showed is we have an owner that isn't afraid to do whatever it takes to win. It also shows Milwaukee has a winning attitude. Trades don't always work out and that's what we have to remember. Think back ten years when we all wondered what we'd get in return for dealing off our best players. Those days are hopefully over for the most part. Small market or not we have shown enough to become a much more attractive market to free agents. We also have the minor league depth and a great drafting history for the most part recently and can do trades like these.

I loved the trade when it happened, and I still do. The season isn't over. The Brewers are still tied for the lead for the wild card. Making the playoffs isn't the only good thing that can come from this trade. Does the team draw nearly as many fans over the second half of the season without CC? Doubt it. LaPorta will probably be good in the majors, but its not a given. It is undeniable that Sabathia was/is great for the Brewers and that goes beyond the games he's won for the team.

Right, I mean it's easy to say this now at this point of the season, but when we rattled off 8 in a row in August and were in control of our destiny, nobody could be found complaining about the trade.
Accepting the CC trade and being of the opinion that the trade wasn't in the best interests of the franchise are not mutually exclusive, as I'm in that boat. I've long stated I wanted no part of a name like Sabathia or Halladay... I wanted a younger starter like a Volquez that could help this year and beyond if an in season move was going to made. I have no problem with CC, he's pitched awesome, just that he doesn't help us in the future, and I'm not into all our nothing playoff runs, I'd rather build a competitive team and the rest will take care of itself in time.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

How can it be a good thing to give up a great talent and other good prospects when the end result is not making the playoffs.

(not saying we don't still make it)

Because I don't believe in judging these things the way you are. If we trade Mota for Johan Santana we got a great deal. If Santana blows out his elbow with his first pitch and retires and Mota posts a few 4.50 ERA seasons in the bullpen we still got a great deal, even if in retrospect it didn't work out.

I can see calling it a risky move to trade LaPorta since there was a chance we would miss the playoffs and regret it, but I just don't see it as a bad move. Especially since I think LaPorta is overrated a bit by Brewer fans.

How can it be a good thing to give up a great talent and other good prospects when the end result is not making the playoffs.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Honestly, if the CC trade hadn't been made, what would the record have been? How much more work would the bullpen have thrust upon them? You had to try and make your move when you're best positioned. I know I like the Brewers' chances with CC more than I would without them.

Since everyone is ignoring the stats...

Since being traded to Cleveland LaPorta's line is .299/.350/.649 (While still playing AA)

I am not saying LaPorta isn't going to be good, but he is still a long ways away from being an All-Star. Last I heard, he still can't hit a breaking pitch. Ask Nelson Cruz how far that gets you...

Twobrewers I don't get what your saying exactly. Yes, Laporta's 60 ABs after the trade were less than impressive(at first, but I think you can agree that a 60 at bat sample size right after a trade is pretty meaningless in the scope of his career. He was OPSing almost 1000 in 300 AB prior to the trade. What is more reasonable? (1.) The AA Eastern League is that much tougher than the AA Southern League and he couldn't handle the pitchers there or (2.) He had a rough 17 games?

By the way, Nelson Cruz is currently putting up a .328 BA/.430 OBP/ .627 SLG line for the Major League Texas Rangers. He has put up those numbers in roughly 60 at bats.

The Linebrink trade was another.

A great trade in Brewers' history? I don't think so IMO. We gave up a little bit more (depending on your view of Inman and who the PTBNL is) in the CC deal than for Linebrink. Linebrink didn't have half the impact in my mind. The CC trade was the right move to make. He just can't pitch everyday. If we somehow get to the playoffs, having CC in the rotation could be a very nice thing in October.

(not saying we don't still make it)

This is called "results oriented thinking."

One can make good decisions, but still end up with bad results. Novice poker players often make this mistake. You might see a player fold a crappy hand that would have ended up winning, only to hear them say, "Man, I made a bad decision to fold there." No, you made a good decision. The outcome just wasn't what you wanted.

I think we can all say we have enjoyed seeing CC in a Brewers uniform these last few months. To me, the deal was worth it no matter what happens these next 12 games.

Also, wherever he lands next season and from here on out, I am a CC Sabathia fan (except if he lands with the Cubs or when he pitches against the Crew!)

Does no one here think we could still overtake the Cubs? We have six games left versus our main rival, split with some games against the Pirates and Reds.

Well Baseball Prospectus puts the Cubs odds of winning the division at 99.21603%. We would have to sweep them and probably win 5 of 6 against the Reds and Pirates while they have to choke against us, the Cardinals and the Mets. I'm not even thinking about the division. We had our chance when the Cubs came to town at the end of July and we blew it. The wildcard is pretty much our only chance.

Archived