Brewer Fanatic

Worst night in Brewers' history?

SeriesFinale

I think it depends on whether the team gets it together and somehow still makes the playoffs despite the odds, but I'd have to think that getting lifelessly swept in a 4 game series to lose your wild card lead while the biggest jerk on the team's biggest rival throws a no-hitter in our own park has to be up there.

What else is up there?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Losing the WS was tough, but there was still a sense of accomplishment that season. And we had the whole "We woulda won with Rollie" thing to fall back on. This is just brutal. The only thing that would make it worse would be for one of the players call home before the flight and have Mark DeRosa answer the phone.

I think the Zambrano no-hitter added some hilarity to it. We've looked awful all month and were just swept right out of the lead in the Wild Card, and on the same night our biggest rival and one of the most hated pitchers by Brewers fans throws a no hitter in our ballpark and is celebrating surrounded by 20,000 Cubs fans.

That toxic combination of despair and fate does not meet often.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

If you had been asked this morning what the worst possible thing that could happen today was, I'm not sure you would have even guessed Zambrano tossing a no-no on our field. All week I've thought I'd seen it get as bad as it could get, but I seriously can't imagine something more than this. Simply amazing.

The other incredible thing, is this makes 3 Sundays in a row that Milwaukee has had something to do with a no-hitter. 3 weeks ago was Sabathia's near no-no, last Sunday was the near perfect game in Milwaukee, and this Sunday, the Cubs do it on our field.

While a no-hitter obviously has emotional/sentimental value, the Cubs did us a favor in two regards: One, they beat the Astros, as we need the Astros/Phillies/Mets to lose as much as they can since it's clear we're not catching the Cubs, and two, they brought revenue to Miller Park. I personally don't have a problem with the no-hitter tonight, it's the losing that blows. If the Brewers would have split their series with the Phillies this weekend everyone would be thanking the Cubs right now.

The Brewers need to take care of their own crap right now, and hopefully that starts on Tuesday when CC takes the mound in Wrigley, and hopefully having CC and Sheets toss the first two games of that series will mean something.

The insidious evil of the whole thing is any of us can really believe that any of this is good for the Brewers in any way whatsoever. At this point the only way out of the abyss is to climb out, not by hoping that Satan throws others farther down in the pit than we already are.

If the Brewers would have split their series with the Phillies this weekend everyone would be thanking the Cubs right now.
I mean, I'm thanking them right now, and I definitely would have if he'd gotten a one-hitter, but the first no-hitter in Miller park history will forever be in the books with "Carlos Zambrano-Chicago Cubs" next to it. That's a foul-tasting pill.

I was 7 years old when they lost the Series, and I cried, but this is a different kind of bitter. That Brew Crew took it to the limit, at the least.

I'm just glad football was on so i had a reason to not watch the Brewers because i had zero confidence either Bush/Suppan were going to get us a win.

Watching them the last couple weeks have been torture and i wasn't going to subject myself to 5-6 more hours of it today after a Packers victory. If somehow the Brewers actually shocked the world and won either of the DH games, reading about it would have been good enough.

The amazing thing is that lately, it feels like to me that we almost have no chance to win a game. When a team is folding like the Brewers are, it feels like we are Akron going in to play the Wisconsin Badgers in Camp Randell pretty much every game unless CC is on the mound.

I love the Brewers, but feel for Brewers fans that don't like football. At least us football fans have the Packers/Badgers to be excited about and to take our minds somewhat off this meltdown. Man, it had to be ugly and painful watching those two beat downs in a ro.

Well, maybe this belongs in the silver lining thread, but no, I don't think this is the worse day in Brewer's history. The season is not over, so it's really no different than the last series of the 82' series when the Brewers needed to just win 1 out of 4 against the Orioles to clinch it and they lost the first 3 games. They were not close games and I think many people thought the sky was falling that point as well. If the Brewers get eliminated from the playoffs at some point in the next two weeks, then the day they get eliminated may be the worse day in Brewer's history.

The Cubs playing rained out games at Miller Park does not bother me at all (it might if I wanted Houston to win those games...but I don't) and Zambrano throwing a no hitter there does not effect me any more than if he were to throw a no hitter in Houston, Chicago, San Diego, or where ever. At least it wasn't against the Brewers.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I think the Zambrano no-hitter added some hilarity to it. We've looked awful all month and were just swept right out of the lead in the Wild Card, and on the same night our biggest rival and one of the most hated pitchers by Brewers fans throws a no hitter in our ballpark and is celebrating surrounded by 20,000 Cubs fans.

That toxic combination of despair and fate does not meet often.

Funny you should mention "toxic." I was thinking of bringing a little can of Lysol, or maybe some wipes, to use on our loge seats the next time we sit there. I just hate thinking of CHC fans celebrating in our seats, even if it was at the in-game expense of a team other than Milwaukee.

I think this day could arguably be rock bottom for the 2008 season, and one of the worst in franchise history. Certainly one of the worst in the Miller Park era.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

This season has become an absolute embarrassment. The fact that Ned Yost and whoever the hell the hitting coach is cant get this team to rebound during the most important part of the season to me tells me they don't deserve to be major league coaches. I was never high on Yost to begin with, but this seals the deal for me. The players are constantly swinging at bad pitches, they are all trying to do too much, and they are all failing miserably. For this to be going on 2 weeks now with no solution is a joke. This team has been doing this all year, swinging at bad pitches and relying on the homerun ball to score...and now its biting them and the coaching staff seems utterly powerless to do anything about it. This collapse, with the impending loss of Sheets and Sabathia and the fact we have no good pitching prospects coming up in the next two to three years, minus Jeffress, makes me think this team wont seriously compete for at least 3-4 years again unless a major overhaul is conducted. Trade Fielder....dump Weeks, get someone who can actually put the ball in play on a consistant bases and doesnt swing at every pitch at his eyes.

The no-hitter thing doesn't really bother me at all. We're not catching the Cubs anyway, so I really don't care what they do, and it's not like any Brewer pitchers will be throwing no-nos at MP anytime soon anyway. Tonight sucks because the Brewers suck, plain and simple.

Well since I was 1 year old in 1982 when we lost game 7 of the series. This has to rank high on my list of worst nights in Brewers history that I can remember. Losing 4 in a row to Philly and starting Sept. off 3-11 and seeing or wild card lead down to zero would have already made it an awful pathetic night. But then we get salt in our eyes and see the biggest jerk pile of crap on our biggest rival throw a no-hitter in our own ballpark. It hurts pretty bad right now.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I'm just glad football was on so i had a reason to not watch the Brewers because i had zero confidence either Bush/Suppan were going to get us a win.
I had the radio on and the TV on mute, and I was wondering whether I should give up being a sports fan when the Lions and Phillies took the lead within seconds of each other. It was too perfect.

Add the swept doubleheader to the first no hitter thrown at Miller Park by Carlos Zambrano of the Cubs, and then you start to develop some perspective. Not even mentioning the fact that the Brewers are now 0-11 in their most recent games against the Cubs, Phils, and Mets.

I wouldn't call it the "worst night", but this day definitely ranks up there in the "most disappointing" category.

Archived