Brewer Fanatic

Huntsville Brewer Connection, Ongoing from 1999, now through 2010

Mass Haas

Rather than add to the West Virginia thread, just tossing it out there that I don't see Huntsville as a slam-dunk renewal.

Just because it's what, 70 miles to Nashville, where the Brewers are locked in for two more years in a gawd-awful situation that was extended under false stadium pretenses?

Carolina (Raleigh), Chattanooga, and Jacksonville all have beautiful new Southern League stadiums that were built this decade. Attendance is strong at each, especially in Jacksonvile.

Travel is tougher out of Raleigh and Jacksonville, which are kind of outposts in terms of SL geography.

So, in answer to a question posed on this forum a few weeks back, I think there's little doubt the Brewers will at least pursue these options. We've asked some friends in the Huntsville media to follow this story.

According to the Norwich Bulletin, the Giants are moving out of Connecticut, and the Brewers and Marlins are looking at moving in. Scroll all the way to the bottom:

http://www.norwichbulleti...on-littered-with-What-ifs

The author gives no source that I could find, and since he makes it sound like the Connecticut stadium is less than desirable, I'm a bit skeptical. Why move from one bad place to another?

Why move from one bad place to another?

I don't think Huntsville is a bad place IMO. The fan support doesn't appear to be all that great, but the facility itself is fine. The Brewers have more less made it known in recent years they'd pefer to play in warmer climates so it should be interesting to see what happens.

We're hearing that word on the street in Huntsville is that a renewal is pretty much a "go".

So look for a re-up eventually, although never say never, I guess, to a change until official.

That's good news for me, but that's a purely selfish comment. Jim, I have a question for you. How much does attendance to into the Brewers' minds for their minor league team? Nashville and Huntsville struggle in that regard. I was at some pretty sad games this year in Nashville in terms of attendance. There were 5k reported on some weekend games and I bet there were less than 2k people there. Nashville has a ton of night entertainment and since the stadium is barely in Nashville I think this hurts their attendance. I don't see a Nashville AAA team (regardless of who is the parent club) staying around unless there is a new stadium. What about moving the AA team somewhere and moving Nashville's AAA team to Huntsville? I'm just throwing that out there, but the stadium is in beyond crappy shape in Nashville. I do feel for players a bit when they get sent down from Milwaukee to Nashville. Their locker room is pretty much a trailer underneath the upper deck.

While I dont live in Huntsville, I know its a good city for a organization that doesn't want any of the distractions or housing problems that some teams shy away from on purpose. Not much do in Huntsville other then focus on baseball.

I don't think Huntsville is a bad place IMO. The fan support doesn't appear to be all that great, but the facility itself is fine. The Brewers have more less made it known in recent years they'd pefer to play in warmer climates so it should be interesting to see what happens.

Yeah, if the Brewers are moving their low-A operations to Appleton, I can't see them moving a second affiliate to a colder climate. Unless they've reconsidered that stance, of course.

Today in the Syracuse, NY paper (Post Standard) the Brewers were mentioned as a team that might bring it's AAA team here in 2010. I don't know what the Nashville situation is, but from this thread it seems the Brewers aren't happy there. In the article I read, it sounded more like the owner just shooting from the hip and mentioning the Brewers, but maybe not. Anyone ever hear Syracuse as a possibility? The Syracuse Chiefs have been with Toronto for about 30 years, but they've ended that (for now). They were trying to get the Mets, but it looks like the Mets will go to Buffalo. Anyway, long story short, for me the Brewers here would be a lot more fun than the Mets.

Here is a link to the article: http://www.syracuse.com/n...ld_sell_mets_stake_i.html

You may run like Mays...

I know Mass and David Weiser have covered this, but how many years is this now for the Brewers being affiliated with Huntsville vs. Oakland? I know many of the Huntsville fans are still hung up on the days of the A's prospect machine, but the Brewers have fielded some incredibly impressive teams there as well, with this year's adding to the intrigue. I'm happy to see the affiliation continue, although I hope the folks in Huntsville have started to forget about the A's finally.

Today in the Syracuse, NY paper (Post Standard) the Brewers were mentioned as a team that might bring it's AAA team here in 2010. I don't know what the Nashville situation is, but from this thread it seems the Brewers aren't happy there.

I'm pretty sure Mass has noted in recent weeks that the Brewers signed their last PDC with the Sounds under the impression that they would be able to get a new stadium built. Since that hasn't happened, I'm sure the Brewers will investigate any and every possibility they can when their deal is up two years from now.

The indomitable Buck Rogers:

Cue the music: Roll out the barrel, we'll have a barrel of fun...everybody sing along...

Today the Huntsville Stars have finalized a two-year extension of its Player Development Contract (PDC) with the Milwaukee Brewers. The extension ensures that the Stars will be the Brewers' Double-A affiliate through at least 2010, continuing the 10-year alliance. During that span, the Brewers have sent more than 75 future Major Leaguers through Huntsville. That list includes 2007 National League Rookie of the Year Ryan Braun, Prince Fielder, Ben Sheets, J.J. Hardy, and 14 other members of the Brewers' current active roster.

Since signing on as the Brewers' Double-A affiliate Huntsville has been no stranger to the playoffs. Since 1999, the Stars have appeared in Southern League Championship Series in 2001, 2003, 2006, and 2007. The Stars were named Southern League co-Champions in 2001 with the Jacksonville Suns.

In 2008 the Stars' posted one of the most impressive offensive seasons ever in Huntsville. Catcher Angel Salome set a new franchise record with a .360 batting average, and became only the second Stars player ever to win the Southern League batting title. Shortstop Alcides Escobar also set a single-season franchise record for the most hits in a season. Both previous records were set when the Stars were affiliated with the Oakland Athletics.

The 2008 Huntsville Stars line-up was voted the #1 talent-laden roster in Minor League Baseball by Minor League News. The bottom line is that the Milwaukee Brewers have always stocked the Huntsville roster with talent. The team will always be competitive and exciting to watch - the Brewers have proven that to us - so today's signing is a reason to celebrate. I've worked for various Minor League Baseball teams and was a part of Major League spring training for a few years as well; from the Montreal Expos to the Chicago Cubs to the Washington Nationals, I've met some interesting people. Although there have been some good memories along the way, there is no other organization that is more classy and none that treats its affiliates with more respect than the Milwaukee Brewers. From the top down, the Brewers personnel staff, coaches, rovers, scouts, etc., they've always been first class to work with and the fact that this union continues on makes us appreciate them even more.

I'm not afraid to say it. When the Brewers staff comes to town, they're openly friendly, appreciative and very easy to do business with. I've worked with a few MLB GMs and except for somebody like the NY Mets Omar Minaya, you won't find anybody in the class of Doug Melvin.

Behind the scenes you won't find anybody in any other organization who will go to the lengths to ensure your success more than Scott Martens in the Player Development Office. He never gets the attention and thanks he deserves, but I really don't think we'd function well without him. Always asking what he can help with, always going out of his way for our ownership and staff, Scott is the guy who makes things happen and I'm ashamed to say we probably never thank him enough.

You can keep the Cubs, Yankees and the Red Sox and all their fanfare and history, I'll take the Brewers every time. No prima donna attitudes, no big market $200 million payrolls, just good salt-of-the-earth people doing what they do best. And in the end that's all you need to be successful...good people.

I read all the blogs and posts online...fans blasting the Brewers as the team struggles down the stretch. Writers saying the team is falling apart. I don't buy any of it. When I was a paratrooper in the 82d Airplane Gang back at Ft Bragg we carried a Guide to Leadership written by then Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Colin Powell. I still carry it today. Lesson #12: Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier. You can achieve awesome goals by surrounding yourself with optimists. I think the Brewers are doing just that. They've built a remarkable team and it's on the verge of achieving some awesome milestones. Watch and see.

You know there'll be bandwagon jumpers in the future. The team is on the rise and the wild card race is as close as it gets, but the future will belong to the Brewers. I'm just glad we're going to be a part of it.

On that note, let's get some brats on the fire. It's time to party. Here's to a couple more years with Bernie Brewer's slide, Bob Uecker's "Get up...get up...get outta here...GONE!" and secret stadium sauce.

Rock On!

I know Mass and David Weiser have covered this, but how many years is this now for the Brewers being affiliated with Huntsville vs. Oakland?
I just looked it up and I can't believe it's been 10 years with Huntsville. That's after 18 years in El Paso. Pretty stable at AA, while the other affiliates have changed quite a bit over the years.

And still, 90% of Brewers' fans could not tell you what state H-ville is in. Or Brevard County.

90 % may not know the Brewers' AA club is in Huntsville, but most would know what state Huntsville is in. Brevard County is another matter, who knows county names?

If you knew they were in the Florida State League, it wouldn't be hard to figure out.

And still, 90% of Brewers' fans could not tell you what state H-ville is in. Or Brevard County.

Because Brewer fans are bad at geography? Or am I missing the point?

I personally believe that Wisconsin Americans are unable to do so because, some people out there in our state don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as South Milwaukee, and The Iola, everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should our education over here in the US should help the U.S., should help South Milwaukee, it should help The Iola and the Asian counties so we will be able to build up our future, for us.

Archived