Brewer Fanatic

The Office Season 5 thread

adamb100
  • Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Jack Black / Cloris Leachman thing was by far the worst, most unfunny thing the show has ever done.
I'll agree with that. That was rather disturbing.

My favorite line was Andy at the beginning when Dwight lit those fire crackers: "The fire is shooting at us!!"

I thought the Jack Black/Cloris Leachman thing was actually sort of funny, just out of place.

I liked the whole thing, though the teaser was one of the funniest things they've ever done and the whole first half was a little better. My favorite line was from the second half:

"Stanley, you crush your wife during sex and your heart sucks... boom. Roasted." My fiance and I accidentally woke up our daughter laughing at that.

This just further proves my long standing hypothesis that Jack Black is in no way funny. Said hypothesis also extends to Ben Stiller, but thats for another thread.
I didn't think it was a Jack Black thing as much as it was a conceptual problem. I kept waiting for Andy to get nabbed for a pirated film or whatever. But, no, it was just him watching an awkwardly bad movie. (I literally cringed during the bathtub scene. I didn't need to see that.)

"What I Hate About You" was pretty good. Not as good as Dwight knowing how to play Supertramp on his keyboard, but still funny.

Not as good as Dwight knowing how to play Supertramp on his keyboard, but still funny.

You mean Darnell...

Oscar falling through the ceiling was great.

Dwight harvesting organs was pretty funny as well....

I thought the whole JB thing was weird, not unfunny (the "don't hit the reverse button" was good stuff) -- but like Toby said out of place.

You mean Darnell...

Actually, you mean Darryl.

I thought the Jack Black/Jessica Alba/Cloris Leachman cameos was a nice dig at the "WE GOT ALL THE BEST STARS!" tradition of the post Super Bowl shows. Actually integrating them into the office environment would have been a bit antithetical to the show. Remember, this isn't your parents sitcom.

Anyways, great sight gags in the cold open. This episode was a classic.

I liked it, as per usual. I was actually laughing pretty hard at the Jack Black stuff. I guess they needed to do something to pad this episode out to an hour, and I'd rather see what they did then try to shoehorn them into the Office environment or something, like someone pointed out earlier here.

To be honest, I was getting nervous to the end as I thought Michael was going to have a complete and total breakdown after the roast. They really need to start advancing his character a little bit somewhere, whether it's bringing back Holly or whatever. Poor guy doesn't seem to catch any breaks.

Also, the preview of the Amy Poehler "spin off" show looks promising.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Felt like the writers went a bit overboard with Dwight; it was a stretch to see him actually start a fire to prove their non-preparedness....it was a farce to see what he did to the CPR torso. I'd like to say that I thought the episode was pretty boss, but it was too hit-or-miss to deserve such such high praise.

The only part of the 'mini-movie' sequence that actually got a chuckle out of me was Cloris Leachman hitting the wrong button on the stair-climber.

Probably the best Andy Bernard episode they've done in a long time, though. The movie critic bit was just just aloof enough to be within character and believable, without being over-the-top. Likewise, his role in the roast was very in-character, and well done.

The best line of the show, though, was Michael (paraphrasing) 'we should call YouTube and have them film this.' It's such a perfect line for the character: combining the baseline understanding of a cultural touchstone, while at the same time completely missing the point.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I thought there were a lot of laugh out loud moments in this one but agree that it tailed off in the second half. The funniest scene for me was when Merideth sat indian style in front of Michael.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Probably the best Andy Bernard episode they've done in a long time, though. The movie critic bit was just just aloof enough to be within character and believable, without being over-the-top. Likewise, his role in the roast was very in-character, and well done.

The best line of the show, though, was Michael (paraphrasing) 'we should call YouTube and have them film this.' It's such a perfect line for the character: combining the baseline understanding of a cultural touchstone, while at the same time completely missing the point.

I think Andy has been consistently funny more than anyone since he's been introduced on the show. Just a great character. And yes, Michael's line was probably the best in my eyes.

I thought overall the episode had some very funny moments (Dwight and Micheal taking "pulls" off a shooter & Dwight's formal apology sheet), but does it kind of bug anyone else how unrealistic Dwight keeping his job with DM would be? He's losing his job at best, and probably facing some sort of criminal charges at worst.

Don't get all the hate for the fake corny movie. They've had much worse scenes this season, and dozens last, that we're a lot less funny than that. You pretty much have to have guest stars when you're following the Super Bowl, and they did a good job of incorporating them into it.

Archived