Brewer Fanatic

The Office Season 5 thread

adamb100
  • Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think a lot of your complaints stem from the fact that you don't like humor that derives from the awkwardness and uncomfortable. I get the feeling that you enjoy humor that involves people getting into funny situations and saying funny things.

I think someone else mentioned they didn't like humor that comes from the awkward situations, but that wasn't me.

I also don't think it has anything to do with expectations, I just don't enjoy the show as much as I used to. I agree with logan, I do miss the Jim/Dwight conflict, but that's not the only thing missing. I can't put a finger on it, and it seems as though I'll just have to agree to disagree with those that feel the show is as strong as it ever was.

I still like the show as much as I originally did, but I can definitely say that I don't find Michael as funny anymore. I still like him, but he was funnier in the first two seasons. He was stupid then too, but he's seems to be a different kind of stupid now that isn't as funny. I can't really describe it.

I think the Bill Buttlicker scene was the best thing Office ever did.

Any time Jim tortures Dwight with his antics, it's gold. My favorite was the time Dwight recounted all the pranks Jim had pulled on him, like loading his phone with nickels, and telling him there was an abandoned infant in the women's restroom.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I own the first 4 seasons on DVD. I can watch those over and over again and not get bored. I think last season and this season are just as good as anything from the first 3 seasons. This is by far my favorite show on TV now and maybe ever. I just think the comedy is brilliant, I'm also a big fan of the original UK version that Ricky Gervais created. I have those on DVD as well.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

i can see why people think it's gone downhill some, and i agree. the characters all have extreme quirks in personality, and early on what they did surprised us, and it just isn't as surprising anymore now that we know the motivations of everyone. and Michael is the best example of that. In the beginning he was weird and funny, but i think now that we better understand how loneliness is his motivation, he's lost his surprise and I feel so much more sad for the guy than I find him funny.

that's a good question, Why has the Jim/Dwight rivalry basically died? I remember that scene when Dwight was crying about Angela in the stairway and Jim said "I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy" and it seems ever since then things have really mellowed out. Dwight was funny when he was powerful, but now he's turned pathetic, and it isn't funny anymore.

i understand it's a natural progression of most any show that it starts moving to relationships, but that means there has to be losers, and it's become hard to laugh at the losers.

Creed was classic. "Let's just pretend we're talking, until the cops leave."

Also, the guys from Vance Refrigeration selling a bag of salad to Michael. Funny.

I thought Dwight's story at the end was lame. Maybe I wasn't in the right mindset.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I thought the funniest part about last nights episode was the opening and Michael's reaction to seeing Toby again. My wife and I were cracking up at that.

To each their own. That cold open was a good example of the show going downhill, for me. What's funny about Steve Carrell screaming No six times? I thought Dwight's closing monologue woulda been better if the show would have cut him off when he said, "...this is where things get interesting" -- instead it just trailed on and had no punch line.

The show had some good lines that reminded me of classic Office, though:

Dwight- "...That's why I always whip open doors."

Dwight- "Oh I've framed animals before. I framed a raccoon for opening a Christmas present. And I framed a bear for eating out of the garbage."

Michael- "That would be mean. But sometimes the end justifies the mean."

It was a good episode overall.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

ah, yes. I forgot about the doors quote from Dwight. Michael's mean quote was pretty funny, too. I had to rewind it the first time to make sure I heard what I thought he said.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

valpocrewsader wrote:
Patrick425 wrote:
I thought the funniest part about last nights episode was the opening and Michael's reaction to seeing Toby again. My wife and I were cracking up at that.

To each their own. That cold open was a good example of the show going downhill, for me. What's funny about Steve Carrell screaming No six times?

I don't know how to explain why my wife and I both found that really funny...we just did. It's like asking someone who likes oranges.."what's so good about oranges?". Like you said, to each their own. It would be interesting to see some sort of study done about people's taste in comedy, or what certain people find to be funny. Does it have something to do with the way you were brought up? Is it some gene or chemical in the brain? For example, in the "10 funniest comedies" thread, I have a very hard time understanding anyone's sense of humor who does not include Seinfeld in their top 10 or that does not think it's funny.

Not to go way off on a tangent..and maybe it's just me, but I think you can be good friends with someone who you don't share the same taste in music with, or movies, or other interests. However, I think it's very hard to ever really develop a close relationship to someone who has a different sense of humor than you have.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I thought Dwight's closing monologue woulda been better if the show would have cut him off when he said, "...this is where things get interesting" -- instead it just trailed on and had no punch line.
The fact that it had no punchline was what made it funny. Dwight's fantasies (that he's apparently spent a great deal of time thinking about) completely defy genre expectations.

Meanwhile, Michael's purchase of the $500 salad was the worst part of the episode. No one is that clueless, not even Michael. Not to mention that if I remember correctly, he once smoked a joint that was passed to him at a Dave Matthews concert.

Then, to believe that he would have the cops called in was unreal and not funny.

Creed's look of shock/worry/"oh no" when the cops walked in was great.

Regarding the general discussion, I much prefer when Michael is just inept and awkward to the times (like planting drugs to get someone fired) that require a serious suspension of belief. When it's supposedly a realistic documentary, I just can't get into absurd behavior like that, I think it makes his character far less appealing.

Team Canada wrote:

I much prefer when Michael is just inept and awkward to the times (like planting drugs to get someone fired) that require a serious suspension of belief.

You mean the behavior that would likely get at the very least a reprimand if not outright firing?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 2 weeks later...

"Urkel-nomical"

"Michael is a genius!"

Great episode. Too bad I could only clap at the jokes. With this cold I've got laryngitis so I couldn't really laugh out loud.

- - - - - - - - -

I liked Jim one upping Pam at the very end..."I need four copies."

It was nice to see a little bit different side of the Pam character tonight, how she was really kissing up to Michael to get the new chairs. The whole subplot with Dwight tricking Angela into marrying him was pretty funny as well.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived