Brewer Fanatic

The Office Season 5 thread

adamb100
  • Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I had to rewind the "that's what she said" whisper about ten times because it was so funny.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Very surprised that everyone is praising last night's episode; I thought it was about as awful as the Office can get. The Cornell stuff was pretty great, but that was only 1/3 of the show. The other 2/3 -- the Michael/Holly/Darrell trip and the Pam/Jim/brothers lunch -- were absolutely awful. Especially the Pam/Jim/brothers scenes, I don't think there was a single joke anywhere in there -- brutal. The Michael/Holly/Darrell scenes had a moment or two, but were largely wastes of time and/or overly soap opera-ish. I expected to come here and see a lot of comments about how lame and terrible it was.
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I thought the Dwight/Andy stuff was great. I thought the Michael/Holly/Darrell trip was good. And I thought the Jim/Pam/brothers thing was awful. All in all, I thought it was a pretty good episode... but I am kind of getting sick of the Jim/Pam long distance thing. I like Jim and Pam together, but since Pam went to New York it has been kinda stupid. I did laugh though when Pam dressed up and nobody else did. I thought that was funny. I just hope they don't try the Michael/Holly long distance thing, but I'm going to miss Holly if she doesn't come back because I thought she was very good with Michael.

Very surprised that everyone is praising last night's episode; I thought it was about as awful as the Office can get.

I was about to post a very similar review. The cold open and Cornell stuff was good, but I can't get past Jim's brothers. It was just awful writing, as you alluded to, along with some horrible acting by the two actors. The Michael and Holly stuff wasn't so great either.

Side Note: When is Pam coming back? Wasn't the program only supposed to be 3 months?

Did anyone else get confused that suddenly they went from dressed up for Halloween to back in regular office attire? Was I missing something?

It was especially confusing because they started it off with Jim, Michael, and Holly walking out of the office...none of whom I remember seeing in costume from before. It took me a while before I realized they had advanced a day ahead...or rather over the weekend since Halloween would have been a Friday.

I agree on the Jim/Pam/brothers part. I think it could have been much better if they had better actors for Jim's brothers. Sometimes the awkward humor is really great on this show, but those guys couldn't pull it off like Steve Carrel sometimes can.

the pam stuff was terrible, but the cornell and most of the car trip made up for it big time. overall the best one this season - hands down.

when they are all singing life is a hwy, michael and darryl singing the blues, and "did darryl touch you"... those alone made the car ride overall pretty dang funny.

i laughed during every cornell scene...

Overall I thought it was very average. There were some funny parts (as mentioned earlier) but on the whole it was 'meh'.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Bill Buttlicker was genius.

I laughed at Pam's "that's what she said" line and when Michael said "You can't use the rape excuse again". But the rest was just OK. The mini bluetooths was a good idea but poorly executed.

I thought the "Bill Buttlicker" scene was one of the funniest things I've ever seen on a TV show.

I agree. I laughed so hard during that seen. I love how it was treated as such an actual sales call.

I thought overall it was a pretty good episode, but some parts were a bit slow. Where was Creed?

Mixed bag -- the dedicated comedy bits (including the Buttlicker call) were really good, but the plot points (the sales call, the wedding plan, and the ending) brought the show down a bit.

(Also, I liked the picture mug idea way more when I thought it was just an Andy thing.)

Where was Creed?
Same place as Kevin. Actually, that's what makes Creed and Kevin funny, they're used sparingly. This ws the worst of the year IMHO. Buttlicker was comedy gold, but nothing else was very funny for the rest of the episdoe- other than a well-placed "that's what she said" by Pam.

Archived