Brewer Fanatic

The Office Season 5 thread

adamb100

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got a bad feeling about this season. It'll be hilarious (I think the show is peaking there), but I'm afraid the writers are setting up Jim and Pam for a rocky few weeks. They are going to be separated, Pam's going to New York, and Jim's not getting promoted to Ryan's job, because how would he ever end up back in Scranton. Something bad is going to happen (new receptionist in town, anyone?), and those of you who are tired of the constant PB&J drama are probably going to be a bit peeved, I predict engagement isn't happening until this season finale or even later.

The season premiere looks interesting, with each little segment covering one of the 8 weeks of summer. I think they would be hard pressed to not have Jim and Pam get engaged in the first episode, since they are seemingly picking up right where they left off in May. It's not like the guy is going to suddenly not want to marry her, and I don't think he'd wait 8 weeks to ask. I know the general formula for TV romances is to wait on that kind of stuff until sweeps/season finale time, but I think if they try to go that route it will be awkward and weird because they'll have to invent reasons why it hasn't happened yet (it wasn't like Pam was leaving the very next day for New York--I got the impression it would be a couple weeks before it would happen).

I'm also interested to see the Dwight/Angela/Andy thing play out. It should work better this season because Angela isn't pregnant in real life, so they can have her doing things besides strategically standing behind plants.

I think they would be hard pressed to not have Jim and Pam get engaged in the first episode, since they are seemingly picking up right where they left off in May. It's not like the guy is going to suddenly not want to marry her, and I don't think he'd wait 8 weeks to ask. I know the general formula for TV romances is to wait on that kind of stuff until sweeps/season finale time, but I think if they try to go that route it will be awkward and weird because they'll have to invent reasons why it hasn't happened yet (it wasn't like Pam was leaving the very next day for New York--I got the impression it would be a couple weeks before it would happen).

But Jim was big on waiting for the "right moment." I could see the time from the finale to Pam leaving for New York going by without a proposal.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was grrrreat! I don't know if thats because I consider myself a huge Office junkie or the fact that I've been waiting (for what seems like) forever for this season to start, but I also think it was one of the best episodes to-date.

Definitely did not see the Jim/Pam engagement coming when it did, that was a pleasant surprise.

Michael growing that goatee to bel like Ryan was amusing; speaking of Ryan, I was also surprised to see him back so soon.

I loved it when Dwight took all the junk food out of the vending machine, and replaced it with fruit---classic Dwight for sure. Also Dwight growing the goatee at the end was hilarious.

I'll be interested to see how the whole Andy/AngelaDwight love triangle continues to play out... either way, it just keeps getting better and better.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm interested to see if Toby will be on the show again. I thought I read that the actor was leaving but in reading some press clippings recently it sounds like he's back all season long.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I thought it started slow but picked up quickly. Dwight seemed different to me - there was zilch suck up, and wasn't he the one not losing weight? Almost a darker version of Dwight.

EDIT: And I was getting nervous there about Jim and Pam, and my prediction being correct - she was making new friends, hitting it off with that guy. Glad they made it official, pleasant surprise. Still curious to see how Pam's time in New York plays out. Something has to happen there.

I don't think this show works best when it's an hour-long edpisode. Too much filler time. I agree, I don't like the direction they're going with Dwight. I guess I just don't think it was very funny. I lauged out loud a few times, but there seemed to be a lot of moments that were really forced. Although this is money...

"I swallowed a tape worm, I got it from Creed...it's from Mexico"

Creed: "That's not a tape worm"

I was drinking a glass of milk while watching this episode, and when Phyllis said "I wonder what people like about me... Probably my jugs!" I about spit it everywhere. I thought it was a great episode. I thought Dwight hammering fruit into the vending machine was classic, along with him and Andy wearing the trash bags trying to lose extra weight.

"I still hadn't processed 9 / 11" - Worst excuse ever!

Ryan was a pleasant surprise. Who the heck was Ronnie?

Ryan was excellent as usual.

I thought Creed was at his best last night. I thought they gave him too much screen time last year, but he was great (line about Kelly).

Ryan and Jim's exchange was really good. Reminded me of Arrested Development quite a bit.

The proposal really suprised me. After seeing Pam meet that new guy in class I thought it was the beginning of a whole new plot for this season. Happily to say that ended quickly.

Also with Dwight getting some action every day it seems there relationship will be an interesting point in the next few episodes.

Good season premiere overall.

Happily to say that ended quickly.
i wonder how quickly that's really going to end. you marry off two main people on the show and that's historically the beginning of the end of a series. maybe this dude will give Pam second thoughts or something. plus since Jim didn't really know about that dude, the friend would have been someone not really needed in the show. the fact that they introduced him at all makes me think he's going to play some important role this season. the show worked fine with the big Jim-Pam question, and i'd think they'd want to keep some sort of question open as long as they can, whether that be a "will the wedding ever happen?" or something like that.

if i'm not mistaken, isn't Toby one of the writers on the show? so i guess he won't be a regular anymore, but at least would be available for a shot here and there. but with Pam not interested, he doesn't really have much of a role anymore. his vacation being bad was a fitting conclusion to the character.

i wonder how quickly that's really going to end. you marry off two main people on the show and that's historically the beginning of the end of a series. maybe this dude will give Pam second thoughts or something. plus since Jim didn't really know about that dude, the friend would have been someone not really needed in the show. the fact that they introduced him at all makes me think he's going to play some important role this season. the show worked fine with the big Jim-Pam question, and i'd think they'd want to keep some sort of question open as long as they can, whether that be a "will the wedding ever happen?" or something like that.

This is a true statement from a guy, but we all know girls have guy friends that flirt and such and the girl always claims they're just friends and is clueless that the guy likes her. I'm not saying that will happen here, but that's how some woman function. 'He's just a friend' in a woman's eyes and a guy can easily see that the other guy likes her more than a friend. It will be interesting to see what happens.

"She should be coming back soon. The episode should have covered most of her time there, since it was a 3 month program."

I didn't put that together, good call. I predict she comes back as normal and the new question is, "When are you going to do something with your degree?" instead of "When are you going to get your degree?" Pam's not one to rock the boat.

I'm interested to see what they do with Ryan once Pam's back. I'm sure they didn't just bring him back for 1 or 2 episodes.

I'm interested to see what they do with Ryan once Pam's back. I'm sure they didn't just bring him back for 1 or 2 episodes.

I hope they did, because he's really the only character on that show I've never liked. As soon as I saw him on the opening credits I let out a huge groan. Like Mike Felder said, it's just too outlandish and stupid for him to have come back, unless it's setting up a "Michael never got permission and is gonna get in huge trouble, be demoted to sales, and Jim takes over" set up. Then maybe Jim has a job that pays well while Pam can't get work in graphic design in Scranton and there's trouble.

Archived