Brewer Fanatic

What are you watching lately?

Bikeage77

Sherlock was excellent. The only problem with it was that there were too few episodes. (And the second episode really isn't as strong as the bookends.) Plus it ends on a great cliffhanger. I really like Moffat's Doctor Who, but I think his Sherlock is better. Benedict Cumberbatch is going to be a star very soon.

I started watching Twin Peaks again for the summer. It holds up great.

Robert

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the opening Family Guy joke about "the interns wrote this" and basically "we want the money but we didn't try on this one" wasn't that funny in itself, but why should i keep bothering to make an effort and watch when they aren't trying, either? i think the last season and a half of that show has been utterly miserable. i remember when they did the episode about Stewie finally killing Lois, and they finished the episode with the whole thing being a dream. they knew it was a copout, so they made a joke about it. i was mostly annoyed. i guess meta humour doesn't work for me.

i know the Simpsons finale phoned it in, too, but at least that's expected of them.

Logan, the first few episodes of Bob's Burgers i thought were somewhat shaky, but it's been better. it started to hit its stride with "Art Crawl," so if you've seen that one and still don't like the show, then you're probably not ever going to. me, i love the lines from the rabbit-eared daughter and the boy.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I can't watch the cartoon shows anymore.

I used to be big on the Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park (as well as most of Adult Swim. Home Movies was the shizzle)

Nowadays, stuff like Futurama, Family Guy, Cleveland Show, American Dad....just doesn't appeal to me at all. The jokes and whatnot are so recycled and tired. I'll still watch the Simpsons, but more often than not, most new episodes fail to elicit anything more than the occasional chuckle.

yeah, the cartoon jokes have gotten a bit recycled. is the Cleveland Show even still on? Seth McFarlane must have a ton of pull at Fox because that show is downright miserable.

South Park i'll watch mostly out of boredom, but it's been terrible for a long time. i read an interview from one of the writers who basically said he was sick and tired of the show and hated doing it, but they're contractually obligated to keep it going to 2013. i think he called it an "anchor around his neck."

i think the only drama i watch on tv is House, but i've found i can watch the first five minutes and then the last five and not miss anything but the "she's getting sicker" part of the show.

i think the only drama i watch on tv is House, but i've found i can watch the first five minutes and then the last five and not miss anything but the "she's getting sicker" part of the show.
I love watching House, but I did a breakdown of 95% of all House episodes a while back on Facebook.

1.) Someone close enough to Boston to get to Princeton Plainview has a mysterious illness that no other doctor can figure out.

2.) The illness is usually imminently life threatening (Death within days or weeks)

3.) House and his team can't figure it out, and will often mis-diagnose 3-4 times.

4.) House will be having a conversation with someone else about something COMPLETELY unrelated to his case, the other person will make a comment that somehow is analagous to the case he's involved in, and House will have an epiphany.

5.) House prescribes the cure, which usually has the patient heading home the next day, none the worse for wear.

I watched Swamp People last night. Wow. The first thing that I see when I turn it on, almost at the end of the episode, is the guy has to tell his wife that he shot his son.....again! Then, they don't go to the hospital, but mom pulls out a piece from underneath his eye, and they try to pull the slug out of his arm! It was like watching a train wreck....you couldn't look away!

yeah, House has a hard time keeping my attention through an hour because every episode follows that exact same formula. must be easy to write for that show since you only have to look up whatever disease and work your way backward. insert harmful diagnosis here and there and have House do something crazy. and now the storylines to the assistant doctors are getting pretty out there that i'm losing interest in their lives. although i like the addition of that Intern doctor not just because she's fun to look at, but because the show needed a voice for morality and sanity. "Your leg pain is a symbol for the pain in your life, House!" ugh. it's like we've circled back to Season 2 already. House doing surgery on his own leg might have been the Jump the Shark moment for me.

one tv show i've seen a few times and absolutely love is "The Wild Within" on the Travel Channel. it's a hunting show, but the guy talks a lot about respect for the animal and the joys of being outdoors with friends. i'm not even much of a hunter, but really like the way he narrates the show and it's a pleasure to watch.

of course my absolute favourite show is The Woodwright's Shop on PBS. i have zero skill for woodworking and don't even care for it that much, but he'll spend entire episodes telling stories. he spent one episode on the philosophical importance of sharpening your tools, which was brilliant. the guy is also the Master Woodworker at Colonial Williamsburg, and it's fun to watch how me makes beautiful furniture without the $400,000 or so of tools that someone like Norm Abrams has.

House is all about the evolution of the characters and their relationships (revolving, of course, around House), with a dash of humor. I don't think its meant to be watched for the medical mysteries anymore...at least that's not why I watch it.

House is all about the evolution of the characters and their relationships (revolving, of course, around House), with a dash of humor. I don't think its meant to be watched for the medical mysteries anymore...at least that's not why I watch it.

That's never been why I watch it. However, that won't stop me from being critical of the heavily formulaic format in which the show is written.

Other stuff I'm watching right now........

River Monsters. I usually find fishing shows gawdawful boring, but this one for some reason keeps me hooked (ha!)

Known Universe. I hate that every episode they spend 15 minutes describing how the current subject matter could potentially destroy the Earth, then very casually slip in quietly (but that won't happen, it's too far away!). I mean, just cover the science. I don't need to see the doomsday scenario to appreciate the science of it.

How I Met Your Mother. If you take away Neil Patrick Harris, this show is essentially a remake of Friends. Barney makes the show worth watching occasionally.

Finished watching all 200+ episodes of the Cosby show. I'd seen them all before, but my fiance hadn't. One of my favorites ever.

I tried getting into Deadwood recently, since it's a pretty short series, but I just couldn't get into it. It has an interesting enough plot, and there's likeable characters, I think it was a little slow moving for me.

We've started watching Treme. Only two episodes in, good idea for a story line and written by the creator of the Wire so it's gotta be worthwhile.

apparently the show Traffic Light is being canceled. it wasn't my favourite, but i enjoyed it.

i liked the season finale of How I Met Your Mother, too. a great show when it pushes the character's stories forward, though it didn't do much of that last season. we know the married couple will have a kid, Barney will get married, and so it's just the Newscaster Girl and Ted, so i'm thinking there is only a season or two left in that show. but that's probably enough.

apparently the show Traffic Light is being canceled. it wasn't my favourite, but i enjoyed it.

i liked the season finale of How I Met Your Mother, too. a great show when it pushes the character's stories forward, though it didn't do much of that last season. we know the married couple will have a kid, Barney will get married, and so it's just the Newscaster Girl and Ted, so i'm thinking there is only a season or two left in that show. but that's probably enough.

There's 2 seasons left. They wrapped season 6, and said they wanted to get 8 seasons in.

Like I said before, that show is Friends + Barney, but Barney makes the whole show. And they make him just human enough once in a while to be likable, beneath the scuzzy womanizer.

Archived