Brewer Fanatic

What are you watching lately?

Bikeage77
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. On Thursday, I was able to laugh instead of get murderously angry when the phrase "Wild Card" was uttered.

My sister got me the British Office last spring for my birthday. On her recommendation, I watched it through with the subtitles on. I dunno, I didn't think it messed up the comedy for me at all. I thought they were great. I do think I would have been lost without the subtitles though. I've been thinking about pulling the DVDs out again...maybe I'll try them without the subtitles this time, now that I have a general idea of what's being said.

I want to throw another plug for Its always Sunny out there. I cannot remember laughing harder at a TV show then when Charlie yelled Wild Card at the end of the second episode. Just thinking about it still makes me crack up.

Also the Wire in my book is TV at its Finest. The complexity and similarities of the two sides of that town really get you thinking after every episode. My suggestion with that show is space out your episodes instead of watching 3-4 at a time, enjoy them and think about them, the creators get pretty deep.

I want to throw another plug for Its always Sunny out there. I cannot remember laughing harder at a TV show then when Charlie yelled Wild Card at the end of the second episode. Just thinking about it still makes me crack up.
I was pretty dissapointed with the first episode, but the second one was classic. I found myself trying not to laugh throughout Friday just thinking about it.

I'm curious, what famous storylines is Tim "I don't read comic books" Kring "borrowing" from this season?

Robert

SPOILER WARNING - FIRST TWO HOURS OF "HEROES"

Definite X-Men influences in the premiere. 2012 Peter Petrelli goes back in time to prevent persecution and capture of super-powered individuals. "Days of Future Past" says 'Hi.' Then he transfers the consciousness of 2008 Peter into another body (Cassandra Nova-style...although I'm sure it's been done in other books).

The "super villains break out of captivity" main-story is too much of an archetype to tie in to an individual story / comic.

Doctor, while researching the nature of the characters' super powers, experiments on himself, gains super-strength and agility....until his skin starts peeling. I've seen other people make comparisons to "The Fly" motion picture, but I'm sure Mohinder is on the verge of spouting blue fur and saying "Oh my stars and garters."

...and tyguy already mentioned "The German," a new villain with magnetic-based powers.

Also, Typhoid Mary / Nikki has a new personality...with ice powers.

On the plus side, no sign of the Taskmaster-like girl from New Orleans on opening night.

As I mentioned in the movie thread, I hadn't actually read "Watchmen" until this summer, so I didn't understand the full extent of the borrowing. I still enjoy Heroes, but more in terms of being a genre that I enjoy than a true appreciation of the narrative.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started the Wire. So far so good. Probably gonna finish season 1 by the end of the week/early next week.

Sveumrules, my friend found his copy of Bingo Long and gave it to me. What'd ya think? It was funny at times, not the best baseball movie but not the worst either. Clearly it's no Major League or Bull Durham.

• 2 years later...
I'm guessing that it got better since the pilot, as that's the only episode that I watched. It had it's "moments" but I didn't think it was all that funny overall. Glad you are enjoying it, though.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

pitchleague[/b]]I'm guessing that it got better since the pilot, as that's the only episode that I watched. It had it's "moments" but I didn't think it was all that funny overall. Glad you are enjoying it, though.
Yup, I agree with that. I will have to try it again I guess. On the other hand I would hate to get attached to another show and have it canceled ala The Good Guys. At least I still have Archer. That show is hilarious.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

As far as new shows in their first seasons, my wife and I have really gotten into "Breakout Kings" and "Happy Endings". Hope they are both back for second seasons.
Here was one list of cancelled shows I recently ran across (the bolded stuff was for my wife- shows she watched)

Better With You (ABC)

Breaking In (Fox)

Brothers & Sisters (ABC)

The Cape (NBC)

Chaos (CBS)

Chase (NBC)

The Chicago Code (Fox)

The Defenders (CBS)

Detroit 1-8-7 (ABC)

The Event (NBC)

Friday Night Lights (NBC)

The Good Guys (Fox)

Human Target (Fox)

Law & Order: Los Angeles (NBC)

Lie to Me (Fox)

Life Unexpected (CW)

Live to Dance (CBS

Mad Love (CBS)

Medium (CBS)

Mr. Sunshine (ABC)

No Ordinary Family (ABC)

Off the Map (ABC)

Outsourced (NBC)

Perfect Couples (NBC)

Running Wilde (Fox)

$#*! My Dad Says (CBS)

Smallville (CW)

Traffic Light (Fox)

V (ABC

At this point I think it is safe to say that you shouldn't get to attached to any show with Summer Glau in it.

Better said, appreciate any show with Summer Glau in it, for it is not long for this world. (It's my attachment to Firefly that got me to start watching Fillion on Castle. I can't in good conscience tell people not to watch / like it!)

Sidenote: Having finally caught-up with the current season of "Doctor Who," and finding that my TiVo recorded some PBS re-airs from last season....that show is good.

The only new show from last season that I'm carrying into next season is "Bob's Burgers." I thought 'Mad Love' on CBS had potential (in that I liked everyone on the cast more than I liked the show itself), but not enough other people felt the same way.

I actually thought Better With You was a solid show to pair with Modern Family; certainly better than "The Middle" Also the show with Courtney Cox needs to go away as well.

Outsourced should have been cancelled half way through the 1st episode. The stereotypes of Indians on that show were borderline offensive.

I too liked a lot of the cast of Mad Love, but after watching a couple episodes I didn't like the characters and stopped watching the show.

I've caught a few of the Cougar Town espisodes, my wife records them on the bedroom DVR, and I don't mind that show. It has its moments and isn't the sterotypcial couples sitcom.

Also the show with Courtney Cox needs to go away as well.

I was never a fan of Friends and think any show with the actors from it should go away. Especially Matthew Perry. He plays the same character in practically every single movie/show he is in.

I don't know if it will come back but Sherlock on PBS Masterpiece Theater was pretty good. My wife really liked that one.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Can't find any drama I'm interested in, so I'm watching 24, West Wing, and Band of Brothers. Starting from the very beginning of each one, so it will take a while. Modern Family is by far the best sitcom, and I'll watch Park/Rec and the Office. Not as huge of a Park/Rec fan as most people here. Torn becasue I love two characters (Ron and Tom), while I can't stand a few of the others.

I don't know if it will come back but Sherlock on PBS Masterpiece Theater was pretty good. My wife really liked that one.

I still haven't seen Sherlock yet, but it's a BBC production written & produced by Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss, who met while working on "Doctor Who." (Starting with Series 5 - the one currently airing on PBS - Moffat has made the transition from the best writer on 'Who' to running the show.) They are working on a second season of Sherlock, which should come out in the UK in the fall.

Cougar Town is a show that feels like something I should like (from the guy who produced "Scrubs" - plus Abed on "Community" seems to really like it!), but I've seen an episode or two....and can neither relate to or be drawn in by the cast.

Archived