Brewer Fanatic

What are you watching lately?

Bikeage77

Movies, TV series, recommendations, whatever.

The other night I saw Black Snake Moan. The previews made it look much better than it actually was.

Just about wrapping up Oz. I never caught the final season, so the gf and I have been watching all of em 2 discs left.

Up next I'd LOVE to get into the Wire, but it might be Six Feet Under first. Someone gimme an argument for me to plead with the gf why the Wire is better. I've heard many say that once it's all said and done, the Wire is better than Sopranos. After those two, where should I go? Deadwood? Rome? Dexter? Carnivale?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't been watching any movies lately, actually I haven't been to a movie theater in years. Watched Wedding Crashers for a good laugh last night. As for shows, I'm getting into The Office. I never watched it until a few days ago, and man I was missing out. That show is so funny. I got into Heroes last year and looking forward to that resuming. I haven't seen any of the shows you mentioned so can't help you out there but I'm also looking for more options to watch other than sports all the time.

Movies, TV series, recommendations, whatever.

The other night I saw Black Snake Moan. The previews made it look much better than it actually was.

Just about wrapping up Oz. I never caught the final season, so the gf and I have been watching all of em 2 discs left.

Up next I'd LOVE to get into the Wire, but it might be Six Feet Under first. Someone gimme an argument for me to plead with the gf why the Wire is better. I've heard many say that once it's all said and done, the Wire is better than Sopranos. After those two, where should I go? Deadwood? Rome? Dexter? Carnivale?

The Wire and Six Feet Under are both really great shows. I'd go with The Wire, even though SFU is probably easier to get into. The Wire is just perfect- it has the dialogue, characters, acting, storyline. And it is better than The Sopranos (but I might be biased because I'm an Italian-American from Jersey).

I haven't been watching any movies lately, actually I haven't been to a movie theater in years. Watched Wedding Crashers for a good laugh last night. As for shows, I'm getting into The Office. I never watched it until a few days ago, and man I was missing out. That show is so funny. I got into Heroes last year and looking forward to that resuming. I haven't seen any of the shows you mentioned so can't help you out there but I'm also looking for more options to watch other than sports all the time.
If you like the American Office, you should check out the British one. It's great. I just finished Ricky Gervais' other show Extras. The Christmas special made me tear up! Not fair. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Recently I watched some movies:

Grey Gardens - great

Incident at Loch Ness- eh

Ravenous - surprisingly good

Fabulous Stains - awesome

I watch

Psych

Eureka

Burn Notice

The Office(but I like the British version better)

My Name is Earl(should have been off the air after the first year)

Battlestar Gallactica(wish I had started in on that show this fall instead of last fall)

Bleach

Into the Unknown with Josh Bernstein

I just got done watching the Extras special and was wondering if it was better for a TV show to only be on for a couple years and go away before it becomes stale or go on indefinitely. Maybe I just like the stuff Ricky Gervais does but, I do like how he always moves on after a couple years.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

For those who are fans of the British version of The Office, can you even understand what in the world they're saying? I tried to watch it several times and had to turn subtitles on, which ruins humor and comedic timing. I'm typically very good at adjusting to accents: my GF didn't learn English until she was 18, a lot of my coworkers are Asian or Nordic, I worked in Chinese restaurants, and have a lot of foreign born friends, so accents are nothing new. Still, I cannot decipher the English on that show as well as I can with Chinese and Japanese people who've been speaking English for 5 years.

New Always Sunny in Philadelphia DVD season 3. For anyone that's never seen it and likes stupid comedy you HAVE to watch it. I watch the same episodes over and over and it never gets funny.
i just got addicted to that show on Hulu and watched them all straight through. funny show.

just went to see the Coen brothers movie Burn After Reading. it had its good moments, but I was left thinking "what was the point of that?"

i'll second the comment about Everybody Loves Earl show. it was good the first season, but now it's just a string of "look who's guest-starring!" shows.

The usual, sports and Seinfeld reruns. Nothing else.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

For those who are fans of the British version of The Office, can you even understand what in the world they're saying? I tried to watch it several times and had to turn subtitles on, which ruins humor and comedic timing.
I agree MSC. I have never figured out how people can understand what's being said either. I've given it a couple of chances, but can't understand a thing.

my wife and I have been watching seasons 1-2 of The Office and season 1 of Heroes. For me, it was review, but for my wife, she was introduced to the glory of those two shows. Trying to get her caught up (as close as we can) before the new ones start. I'll be recording them on the tivo and they'll sit there until she is caught up completely.

I figure there will be a seperate fall TV lineup thread so I'll post my other shows when we get that thread up and running.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I've been hitting Netflix pretty heavily. I just got done watching Season 4 of The Office. I loved the British version too. Gervais's character was twice as offensive as Carell's. It was so awesomely cringe worthy. In the past few months I've also watched Arrested Development, Freaks & Geeks (fantastic), and Undeclared.

As far as movies go I finally got around to watching The Godfather & The Godfather II which somehow I'd never seen before. Other movies I watched recently are No Country For Old Men, Smart People, The Bank Job, and Nim's Island (awful). Right now I've got the movie Then She Found Me and the first two discs of Lost season one. I've never watched Lost before so that's what's at the top of my queue right now.

Anybody watch Gossip Girl (probably not, since you're not 14 year old girls)? I've got that in queue too (no I'm not proud of that fact).

On "live TV" I'm a big fan of Anthony Bourdain's show, whose season I believe just ended. And sadly I'm a huge MTV junkie too I'm watching the RW/RR Challenge "The Island" which just started. And I also watch The Hills, True Life, and Made. I've got some episodes of Exiled DVR'd too. I am drawing the line at Paris Hilton's My New BFF, which I won't be watching. And really looking forward to the season premiere of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on FX. I'm thinking about watching The Amazing Race this season also. Looks like South Park is starting up again in a few weeks which is always good news. And Sarah Silverman's show comes on in October.

I don't have HBO or Showtime anymore but I might order them again so I can watch Entourage & Californication.

So that's about it.

Can't wait for the new season of The Office to start. Saw the first episode of the newest season of Entourage. I wish that show was an hour, it just seemed to get goin and it was over. Gotta wait for tonights to show up on the internet.

About to watch Cocaine Cowboys.

Also friggin happy I don't have cable currently and didn't go outta my way to watch the Milwaukee Debacles play the Phillies over the weekend. On the same token, I'm glad I can't drink on school nights anymore, or this post would be very, very ridiculous due to the prior sentence.

The previous season of Entourage via Netflix. Finally got out No Country for Old Men, which I'd been sitting on for nearly a month.

Brewers / Packers / Badgers.

Most of the Adult Swim shows that I care about are in reruns now, but I'll catch any new shows on the TiVo.

Looking forward to most of the NBC comedies returning, starting with SNL over the weekend.

Finished Oz last night. Starting the Wire soon. Took some prying, but I'm excited. However, I had to promise to watch more movies because we've been watching a lot of tv lately.

Also just got Pride of the Yankees from Walmart for 5 bucks (never saw it, and being a baseball movie buff, figured it was worth the gamble). They had Bull Durham there too, but I already have it. Raging Bull and Rudy were also on sale. Both classics.

Anyone ever seen Bingo Long's Travelling All Stars?

Archived