Brewer Fanatic

Cubs / Astros to Play at Miller Park (Official: see replies 87ish to 92ish)

lcbj68c

http://blogs.jsonline.com...oming-to-miller-park.aspx

The logistics would be tough but the Brewers did this in April 2005 when Cleveland and Los Angeles moved a snowed-out series to Milwaukee on very short notice. So the Brewers know how to pull this off.
That's 2007, Tom.

Revenue. I image the Astros will get a larger percentage than the Cubs. The brewers probably will get something to cover expenses.

The Astros should technically get whatever percentage of the revenue the home team is entitled to, and the Cubs should technically get whatever percentage the visiting team is entitled to. But in reality, there probably isn't going to be much revenue to be had. For the Indians-Angels series, the main financial objective was to make sure the Brewers didn't lose money. MLB would have pitched in to ensure that.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, as a matter of fact I do work for the grounds crew. I'll see what I can do with that trusty rake of mine.
I can't imagine Gary Vandenberg is happy about this. He's probably already under pressure to have the field in tip top shape in case of a Brewer playoff appearance. The grass doesn't get much sun in September, so it's hard enough to keep up as is. Left field looked pretty thinned out and rough when I went to a game last week.

You guys really got to get some field-turf in there.

These "Brewers sources" are awfully busy this evening.
Haudricort and Witrado are busy covering a Brewers game...wait a second.

By the way, McCalvey (the story appearing on Astros official site) is pretty much a Brewers source.

I wasn't questioning the validity of the info or the sources, I just thought it was funny that it didn't stay under wraps for too long.

Goes to show how much the Cubs' fans think of the "threat" from the Brew Crew that it took forever for anyone at NSBB to pick up on the thread here! It's gotta be like Christmas for those guys.

Speaking of which, if anything I wonder if there wouldn't mostly be chat about the fix being in for the Cubs...you guys do know this is the hundred year anniversary of their last World Series win, right?

The Astros and Cubs will be paid from a fund MLB has, and the money goes to MLB. HOU will get ticket sales, or close to it, they would have gotten at home, CHI will get the visitor's share. MIL will get overhead and a tad more, maybe. This was all gone over in the CLE/LAA series.

Left field looked pretty thinned out and rough when I went to a game last week.

Yeah, they had just laid new sod in the 3 areas with the OF's typically stand and covered them with that netting type stuff.

there are major playoff implications in this decision(which also means lots of $$$ in MLB's eyes), which I hope would mean that MLB is going to make a decision that is the fairest for baseball.

All the more reason to move them to Milwaukee. If the MLB is concerned about revenue (and you know they are), what is the sense of having the games in Canada. As I pointed out, only domed stadiums will work and narrowed them down to 2 based upon other major sporting events taking place. Having the games in Milwaukee means a lot more potential revenue to give to Houston to make up for their loss.

"That is way premature," club owner Drayton McLane said Friday night. "The Commissioner has agreed to see how Houston fares after the storm hits. That would be midday [saturday]. No decision will be made until then."

http://houston.astros.mlb...mp;fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

Things may have changed since that was published and this is already a done deal, but Miller Park employees being contacted and asked if they can work may mean nothing more than that playing here is a contigency plan.

There are a few million people who are without power in Houston. They're still waiting for the sun to come up (which it's doing now) and for the storm to let up (about 4 more hours) to be able to assess the damage. I don't see any way that they're playing any games or doing anything in Houston this weekend.

So will the Brewers get enough incremental revenue out of this to stick in the bank and be able to increase their offer and sign CC this off-season? Anyone remember how that worked last time, were the Brewers entitled to cover costs with any excess going to the Inidians - In this case the Astros?

Al and I covered that above (replies 51ish and 54ish). MLB made sure the Brewers didn't lose money, and the teams actually playing are entitled to money--if there is any money.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I really think if there is any way to play in Houston, they will and should do so...no matter how much whining there is from the Cubs and their fans.

As for money, do the math. Even if the Brewers got some of it, what would it amount to...maybe $10 per fan for a total of $500,000??? That would have no significant impact on any offer to CC...Hey, CC we now can offer you 4 years and $60,500,000 rather than only $60,000,000...whaddya say?

(fixed code --1992)

It appears like it's taking too long for Bud to make a decision. McLane really wants his games played at MMP, but how many fans are going to show up? There are pictures on NSBB of a highrise near MMP -- glass windows completely blown out and debris on the streets. Who knows if the Astros can get out of Houston if they decide to play in Houston? If the games are played in Houston, how long is it going to take for the Cubs to get down there? If they decide to push multiple games to the end of the season, it could be disasterous for the Brewers. The Cubs would have already clinched, and playing a bunch of minor leaguers. Who knows? Houston doesn't look too good -- the Houston Texans stadium has sustained serious roof damage, so it's in the best interest of everybody to make a decision ASAP.

Why is everyone so upset about this? Hello? People? We are not going to catch the Cubs. No, this would not be fair to Houston. But it would be to the advantage of the Brewers for the Astros to basically have home games taken away from them.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I cannot believe the Brewers would even allow this to happen. there is NO WAY no how I let the Cubs have three home games in MY park when they are supposed to be on the road, and you are trying to catch them for the division title. What if, the three games that are played in Milwaukee end up being a Cubs sweep where instead let's just suppose the games played in Houston(or somewhere closer then Milwaukee) would end up being an Astros sweep?? What happens if the Brewers lose the division by 2 games?? If the Brewers had a say in this and are allowing it, then there should be management people in that organization losing their jobs over this.

What if, the three games that are played in Milwaukee end up being a Cubs sweep where instead let's just suppose the games played in Houston(or somewhere closer then Milwaukee) would end up being an Astros sweep??

We need the Astros to lose. The Brewers need to do whatever they can to ensure themselves of a postseason berth. The alternative may just be playing this series on Sept 29 and 30, with the Cubs resting players. That doesn't bode well for the Brewers. I couldn't care less whether the Cubs win or lose. We should be cheering for a situation which gives a disadvantage to the Astros.

Maybe next time you have inside information you might want to reveal how you got it? You posted something with no reference at all. As has been noted it was published earlier in the day that MP was not an option.

I tend to agree with this post. Usually a bf.net a source or link is needed or it's locked or moved to rumors. I understand there are those that have 'inside' information, but posting it and saying you thought it was at other places already is bad due diligence and then attacking posters questioning you is also somewhat strange. It's not about integrity it's about posting the 'facts' from an inside source. Maybe they play there, maybe they don't, but I still don't understand how I'm to believe this. There is a major issue going on in Texas and making the players fly up to Wisconsin would be a joke IMO. Our source though has said the deal is done so with this horrible storm and power outages I'm sure the first thing the Astros are thinking about is -- let's fly to Milwaukee! If it does happen, it's a horrible idea. There are other ballparks that don't have baseball games being played and if it is Milwaukee I'm almost positive it's because of money. The Astros would be getting screwed and some comments here that it's not a big deal are strange. If the Brewers went from a home game to playing in pro-opponent park people would be up in arms and banned from the site for their comments.

if they do use Miller Park, there's a part of me that says don't let either team use the home team clubhouse, although it'd be impossible. Don't really need the Astros players milling around in areas that are meant for Brewers personnel. Not to mention that if they lose bad or something, tempers could flare up and they may be breaking/destroying Brewers' property.

I can see it now, the Brewers get home and their clubhouse is in total shambles like after the Alpha Betas destroyed the Tri-Lams' house in "Revenge of the Nerds."

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

if they do use Miller Park, there's a part of me that says don't let either team use the home team clubhouse, although it'd be impossible. Don't really need the Astros players milling around in areas that are meant for Brewers personnel. Not to mention that if they lose bad or something, tempers could flare up and they may be breaking/destroying Brewers' property.

I can see it now, the Brewers get home and their clubhouse is in total shambles like after the Alpha Betas destroyed the Tri-Lams' house in "Revenge of the Nerds."

Are you being serious? I really can't tell.

It's funny how when the topic of other teams playing at Miller Park is brought up (like the possibility of the Cubs playing a season at Miller Park during upcoming renovations of Wrigley that will be likely), people think the Brewers will be able to hold dictatorial powers over the other teams and shake them down for a season's worth of payroll. I'm guessing MLB has pretty stringent guidelines for such scenarios.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived