Brewer Fanatic

05/23/2006 Brewers (Eveland) @ Cincinatti (Ramirez) 6:05 PM

bigjase
With the pitching and defense as bad as it is, who still thinks this team has a shot to do anything noteworthy this year? Frankly, bringing 2 guys up from AA doesn't instill very much confidence in me, and even having to plug in AAA pitchers into the rotation isn't a good thing either. Melvin receives his share of praise, but he didn't do a good job of creating pitching depth for us, let's be honest.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Maybe they're not as "potent" as you thought????

Yeah, leading the majors in HR's and second in the NL in average...what was I thinking? This is one of the best lineups in the NL, they should be able to pound the Reds pitching.

Community Moderator

Melvin receives his share of praise, but he didn't do a good job of creating pitching depth for us, let's be honest.

You can't be serious. This year, for the first time we had 6 legitimate Major-league quality starters to work with. It's Melvin's fault that three of those options got hurt all at once? The depth was there, but chance hasn't worked out. The depth was better this year than it has been since 1992.

You can't be serious. This year, for the first time we had 6 legitimate Major-league quality starters to work with. It's Melvin's fault that three of those options got hurt all at once? The depth was there, but chance hasn't worked out. The depth was better this year than it has been since 1992.

All you mentioned was the starting pitching. You neglected to mention anything about bullpen depth? Come on! The bullpen this year was overall quite horrible, if I may say so. The only people you can count on are Turnbow and Wise. Eveyone else is pretty much a crap-shoot when they go in. So I don't see how it's out of the realm to think our pitching depth is any better than mediocre, at best (especially in the minor leagues).

The pen is just torn to shreds. Kolb looks exhausted out there. Our starters can't go more than 5 innings unless their name is Davis or Cappy.

Things are not looking good. The merry go round of bullpen garbage isn't going to help matters either.

It's going to continue like the last few weeks until Sheets and Ohka are back and pitching healthy. Frustrating with how the O is playing.

Community Moderator

All you mentioned was the starting pitching. You neglected to mention anything about bullpen depth? Come on! The bullpen this year was overall quite horrible, if I may say so. . So I don't see how it's out of the realm to think our pitching depth is any better than mediocre, at best (especially in the minor leagues).

Last year's bullpen was solid, and this year's is pretty much made of the same guys (minus Julio Santana). Melvin was supposed to anticipate that they wouldn't be as good? Kolb is back and should be expected to be better than Santana... how was Melvin supposed to anticipate Lehr sucking and the lack of depth in the rotation causing the bullpen to have to pitch 5/6 inning a night?

how was Melvin supposed to anticipate Lehr sucking

He hasn't done anything in the past to make me confident in his abilities. Look at the bullpen pitchers right now...they are absolutely horrible as a whole. How can this team expect to consistently win with poor starting pitching and even worse bullpen help to seal the game later on? I don't care how good your offense is, pitching is what carries a team into contention.

Only the Milwaukee Brewers would manage to have their worst pitching staff in years during the same season where they have their best lineup in years. I mean, even during the 100 loss seasons our bullpen was always considered above average. I know injuries have killed us but it's really unfortunate that it had to happen this year.

Anyone doubt that it is gonna take at least 8 runs to win a game on this road trip (on a day when Capuano is not pitching)? We'll be lucky to win one of the next four after today. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Community Moderator

He hasn't done anything in the past to make me confident in his abilities.

So his 3.89 ERA in 35+ innings last year is unacceptable to you?

Look at the bullpen pitchers right now...they are absolutely horrible as a whole. How can this team expect to consistently win with poor starting pitching and even worse bullpen help to seal the game later on? I don't care how good your offense is, pitching is what carries a team into contention.

Like previously said and totally ignored by you, ya think the bullpen MIGHT potentially be sucking because they have to throw 6 innings a night, 5 times a week?

Kolb looks like he's going to have a heart attack on the mound....

Quote:
ya think the bullpen MIGHT potentially be sucking because they have to throw 6 innings a night, 5 times a week?

Bingo. No bullpen is going to look good when each reliever is forced to make around 4 appearances per week after hideous outings by their starting staff. When the starters begin to get into the 6th or 7th innings, the stress on the bullpen will lessen. At least I hope...

Gruber Lawffices

Community Moderator

Bingo. No bullpen is going to look good when each reliever is forced to make around 4 appearances per week after hideous outings by their starting staff.

Yep. All those guys who were up in arms about the 13-man staff and threw a fit when Davis was allowed to start the 8th last week got real quiet in a real hurry.

The bullpen can't survive like this.... they need 4 starters to go six regularly, and they'll be ok.

Archived