Brewer Fanatic

09/2008 Designated Yost Thread (Merged: Yost late in games; FOX article; New Yost thread)

jake53098
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOW DO YOU LET SHOUSE FACE 3 STRAIGHT LEFTIES? HE MUST BE BRAIN DEAD, that is just pathetic coaching and again he's not putting his team int he best position to win the ball game and it came back and bit us in the ass..... just dont understand how dumb someone could be.

where did the old Yost thread go?

It hadn't been posted to for a month, so it was locked, and it became part of a "no designated Yost thread" experiment. Quoth the Designated threads list:

Designated Yost Thread: no current thread

We'll go with the flow with Yost threads for the time being. If a new thread needs to be designated, we'll go that route when the time comes.

Right now, this thread looks more like vent thraed material than anything else. But if it helps to re-designate a thread to consolidate the bulk of the Yost-centric discussion, we'll go that route. It might be better to start over, though.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

It's like the other manager knew just what he would do, so since Shouse is so good against lefties you have one of them bunt and then Yost has the other one walked so that Shouse can pitch to a right-hander.

I turned it off and went for a walk with my wife during the rain interval, after Shouse semi-predictably gave up a hit to allow the Phillies to take the lead. For the first-time, at least this season, I turned a game off in disgust.

I noticed Bill making his veiled criticisms of having Gwynn pinch hit with two outs, both when Gwynn batted and when the Phillies sent up their pinch hitter and he said something "that's what you do in this ball park, put a guy up there that can hit it out".

I realize that Ned is critiziczed because he left Shouse in but is there a righty option that is reliable and getting the job done? If there is then I have missed him the last two weeks. Shouse has been the best reliever all year and I would have went with him. He moved the lineup around, which is what everyone wants, and puts Durham in and he gives us the lead. Gutsy decision to put the 2b in the 3 hole. Remmeber your frustration is not with Yost but with the incredible lack of hitting. 5 hits. Remember that is why they are losing.

My big fear now is missing the playoffs but getting stuck with him for '09 because the team "improved." That would be the worst of all possible of worlds.

You can't dump all of the blame on Yost for the team's recent slump; he's not the one out there failing to get hits, etc. I get that concept. But I don't understand why the team even has a manager if we're not supposed to expect him to have some positive impact on the team. And I just don't see Yost demonstrating that ability now, when it matters most.

Yost's rationale for using Shouse v. Burrell from TH's blog:

"I've got a lot of confidence in "Shousie" to get a ground ball and a double play," said Yost. "I thought 'Shousie' could get the job done."

Yost said he wanted to get Shouse through the eighth inning and go to Gagne in the ninth if the score was still tied. He already had used Mota for the seventh inning.

"I didn't want him to have to finish the inning and send him back out in the ninth," said Yost. "I wanted him to have a clean inning."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

His rationale for why he lets pitchers finish innings when they're getting tagged just gets dumber by the day. There's 486 pitchers on the big league roster, and all of a sudden it's against Ned's new rule book to bring a pitcher in in the middle of the inning if there's runners on because "it's not fair"

No, Ned, what's not fair is the fans of this team watch another (and another, and another) late season collapse because of your weird rules that you make up on the spot to fit your needs because you don't know how to manage.

Yost said he wanted to get Shouse through the eighth inning and go to Gagne in the ninth if the score was still tied. He already had used Mota for the seventh inning.

I knew that would be the 'reason' -- Shousie's mah 8th innin' gah!

No, Ned, what's not fair is the fans of this team watch another (and another, and another) late season collapse because of your weird rules that you make up on the spot to fit your needs because you don't know how to manage.

Come on... you don't expect your manager to be able to think, do you? There can't be any other candidates out there that would be able to think, right?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I realize that Ned is critiziczed because he left Shouse in but is there a righty option that is reliable and getting the job done?
Why have your situational lefty in there to walk a left-hander?

Shouse has been the best reliever all year and I would have went with him.

Not against right-handers.

Nervous Nedley's reasonable choices were Shouse vs. Howard or a right-hander vs. Burrell, instead he chooses Shouse vs. Burrell and hopes it works out, against all odds.

I was referring to the 2nd half...

Ah, I see. I actually had thought maybe it was a typo. I would (assuming they don't turn it around) just say the team seemed to collapse under the pressure of trying to make it to the post-season.

There's 486 pitchers on the big league roster, and all of a sudden it's against Ned's new rule book to bring a pitcher in in the middle of the inning if there's runners on because "it's not fair"
The funny thing is he put Shouse in with a runner on base. I guess it's only fair once a game. Or maybe Ned is an idiot. I'm guessing the latter.

Shouse has been the best reliever all year and I would have went with him.
Not against right-handers.

Then who do bring in? I see lots of people say take him out but who is going to come in and shut the door? I don't see any Brewer righties getting the job done. Shouse has.

(fixed code --1992)

Come on... any RH RP there is a better choice than Shouse. IBBing Howard with Shouse (with no RH RP to bring in) was moronic.

If by 'getting the job done', you mean 'allowing a .360-ish OBP v. RHB', then I guess that's what Shouse does.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Quoth the Designated threads list:

Designated Yost Thread: no current thread

We'll go with the flow with Yost threads for the time being. If a new thread needs to be designated, we'll go that route when the time comes.

This thread is hereby designated. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Archived