Brewer Fanatic

09/2008 Designated Yost Thread (Merged: Yost late in games; FOX article; New Yost thread)

jake53098

My question is, what if they turn it around here and go something like 9-6 down the stretch, win 91 or 92 games but still somehow miss the playoffs (I know at this point it seems pretty unlikely they would not make the playoffs with that record, but induldge me for a minute), should he still be fired? To me missing the playoffs with that kind of record is more a function of bad luck and being in the wrong league/division at the wrong time. Without looking, I suspect 92 wins would have easily put them in the playoffs any of the last 5+ years.

Now, if they do the opposite and don't win enough games to even get to 90 wins and miss the playoffs, then I agree with the article, but I'll go a step further and suggest that at that point, the microscope probably needs to shift to Doug Melvin.

For the record, from my couch or a seat at Miller Park, I do not sense any panic or anxiety. I see a bunch of players not hitting and the typical discomfort that goes along with that, whether it is in April or September. I don't necessarily see the cause/effect as one scout describes it. Definitely a chicken and egg discussion though and no way to ever really know.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ken Rosenthal wrote the article that the lead post is referring to so that isn't to surprising. I have to agree that Yost keeps his job if we make 90+ wins. You can't control how well other teams do and 90+ wins will get you into the playoffs more often than not.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If the Brewers fail to make the playoffs and Yost is still at the helm, I won't be surprised but I will be disappointed. Failing to make the playoffs, given their standing at the start of the month and despite the relative failures of just about everyone around them, could only be classified as a complete collapse which mirrors the slighlty less complete collapse of last season.

I still fail to see how a team playing 9+ games over .500 could be considered a collapse. You can't control what other teams do and playing 9+ over .500 for a half is pretty good. If we end up with 90+ wins an don't make the the playoffs I will be very disappointed, but it means that another team outplayed us.

I blame Wang.

I still fail to see how a team playing 9+ games over .500 could be considered a collapse.

September isn't going too well. Wasn't the lead like 5 games on September 1? Sure, they played well in July and August, but it looks like they're completely folding this month. I don't know how that can't be considered a collapse.

It's pretty unfortunate but collapses are nothing new for the Milwaukee Brewers.

2004: I think they were above .500 at the all-star break and were on pace to have a winning season. A 2nd half collapse ruined it.

2007: The Brewers held a huge lead over the Cubs in the divison but a bad august/September gave the Cubs a date in October.

2008: 5.5 games up in WC going into September and have since gone 3-8 and are in a crucial series w/ the Phillies. Brewers getting swept will have them tied for WC lead.

I still fail to see how a team playing 9+ games over .500 could be considered a collapse. You can't control what other teams do and playing 9+ over .500 for a half is pretty good. If we end up with 90+ wins an don't make the the playoffs I will be very disappointed, but it means that another team outplayed us.
No you can't control other teams that win 90+ games. Especially when we get swept by three of those 90+ win teams down the stretch. OK. Thats not bad coaching thats just bad breaks.

I still fail to see how a team playing 9+ games over .500 could be considered a collapse. You can't control what other teams do...

Actually they are 18 games over .500, but the point is the team seems to be folding under pressure again. Is it the managers fault? Who knows for sure, but assuming the collapse continues something will need to change and it is a lot easier to try a different manager than to fire all the players.

It's pretty unfortunate but collapses are nothing new for the Milwaukee Brewers.

2004: I think they were above .500 at the all-star break and were on pace to have a winning season. A 2nd half collapse ruined it.

2007: The Brewers held a huge lead over the Cubs in the divison but a bad august/September gave the Cubs a date in October.

2008: 5.5 games up in WC going into September and have since gone 3-8 and are in a crucial series w/ the Phillies. Brewers getting swept will have them tied for WC lead.

Not sure it is reasonable to put 2008 on the list - yet. They just had an outstanding August, but have had some obvious trouble past couple weeks. If they play .500 or better the rest of the year, could anybody reasonably call that a collapse? what the Mets did last year...that was a collapse. The Cubs in '69, that was a collapse. With a couple weeks to play, the Brewers certainly aren't there yet. The appear to be heading that direction, but things can obviously change quickly.

As far as 2004 goes, don't you have to actually be good in order to collapse? That leaves 2007. Not sure that is much of a history. Obviously, we'll see what happens this year though.

jeffyscott wrote

Actually they are 18 games over .500

I was referring to the 2nd half because people are calling it a 2nd half collapse. I guess people would be happier if we had gone 15-12 in August and been chasing and hot now instead of ahead.

I blame Wang.

At this point it's blow the wild card OR get into the playoffs and be bounced out of the first round.

Yost got the team to a solid level, but I don't think he can get the Crew to the next level.

The problem is, I do not see a measurably better manager out there for the Brewers.

I have supported the guy, but given some of the talk of the last couple days (Roenthal, etc.), If they don't win tonight and Melvin has any inclination that he won't bring Yost back, I would go ahead and make a move tomorrow. Admittedly that is a large reaction to the Shouse/Burrell AB today, and truth be told, if they came this far, he probably deserves the opportunity to prove if he can finish this season off as designed or not.

if they turn it around and win some games in the next coule weeks, he probably will and should be back. If they don't he probably will and should be gone.

Archived