Brewer Fanatic

Your initial thoughts on the call ups?

Hate those Rodents

Just some basic questions I have for you guys if you'd give me a quick line of thought on these questions?

1) Are you impressed with Nelson enough to give him a spot even if Fielder is on the team next year? Are you willing to give him a shot at 1B for a year if Fielder were dealt?

2) Has Gwynn showed you enough to want him on next year's team as a backup? Does he offer us enough to want him a part of our 25 man roster?

3) What do you think of the very limited you've seen of Escobar?

4) Is the lack of anything decent at 3B making you more willing to give Gamel a fair shot at winning the 3B job in spring training?

5) How do you feel on Mitch Stetter? Are you any less confident in him than most of our other relievers?

Thanks for your thoughts on these questions!

1) Nelson: He seems like he has an idea up there at the very least. I wouldn't be upset if he was on the bench next year.

2) Gwynn: He's an alright 5th outfielder, but he really doesn't excel at anything. Hopefully he's finally traded this offseason. I would have rather had Stocker called up, who is pretty much an automatic SB.

3) Haven't seen him in the field, but he seems overmatched at the plate. His baserunning gaffe was pretty bad as well.

4) You'd have to consider it. But he's probably gonna have to be a very good hitter just to make up for his defense. If we drastically improved the defense on the right side of the infield in the offseason I would say there is a decent chance he's starting sometime next year.

5) I like Stetter. I think he should have been up all year. My confidence in the BP probably goes something like this: Shouse (lefties only), Torres, Villanueva, Mota, .................... Riske, and Gagne.

1) Are you impressed with Nelson enough to give him a spot even if Fielder is on the team next year? Are you willing to give him a shot at 1B for a year if Fielder were dealt?

Yes, I would definitely give Nelson a spot on next years team even if Fielder is still here. If Prince is traded and there's no better option for 1B, I'd be fine with him.

2) Has Gwynn showed you enough to want him on next year's team as a backup? Does he offer us enough to want him a part of our 25 man roster?

If Cameron is back next year then I really see no use for him as I believe his only job should be defensive replacement/pinch runner.

Very fast. Made a baserunning mistake. Haven't seen very much from his very limited time hitting and in the field.

4) Is the lack of anything decent at 3B making you more willing to give Gamel a fair shot at winning the 3B job in spring training?

Absolutely. With Branyan on the shelf, I'd be giving Gamel starts vs right handed pitchers right now if it were up to me.

5) How do you feel on Mitch Stetter? Are you any less confident in him than most of our other relievers?

Nah, he has some control problems still, but he strikes out a lot of guys and he's done a good job for the most part in the time he's been up.

How can you answer these questions? Gamel has 2 ABs, Escobar has 2 ABs, Nelson has 4 ABs, and Gwynn's 4 ABs in September have no bearing on what I thought of him before. Saying that:

1. He should have a shot at the team.

2. In my opinion, no.

3. I think he looks like he's 12.

4. Almost everyone should get "a shot," but I definitely wouldn't rely on him next year.

5. I do like Stetter, and always have. He walks his fair share, but he seems to have the ability to get K's as well.

1) Oh yes, Nelson looks like he knows what he's doing. I hope he at least gets a bench spot next season. And if Fielder were for some reason traded he should get a shot at starting at 1B if no better options are out there.

2) Gwynn seems a 4th OF at best to me. Maybe on another team they could give him a chance to play CF everyday, but not here. He is just a pinch runner to me.

3) Lighting speed. Very fast. That is all I have really seen. I know that he can hit and field so I'm excited for what the future holds.

4) He should probably get a shot, but it is probably best for us and him if he plays all of if not most of 2009 at Nashville. He did smoke that ball down the line against Young when no one else did much of anything.

5) Stetter has potential. I'm pretty nervous about all of our relief pitchers at this point.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

1. Nelson could be a 5th OF. I don't see a great deal of potential more than that, maybe a platoon guy someday.

2. Not if the starters and Kapler return. I see him being dealt to a team who needs a CF, or a defensive replacement.

3. He looks very young. Still feel he's the SS by '10 at the latest.

4. Doubt it, the Melvin era has never let meaningless March stats mean much. He does have a nice swing.

5. I see him as a generic LH reliever with some upside.

I've seen Nelson quite a bit so I think he should be considered for a spot. The thing about him is he has experience playing OF and 3B. I'm not saying he should or ever will start there, but he's a little bit of an insurance policy during a game if a player gets hurt.

I would trade him. I don't see him as anything more than a 5th OF and if a team thinks he's a starter we might be able to get something for him.

I've seen him a few times too, but with the Brewers it's hard to get a feeling on him. He's looked fast, but he does look a little raw IMO and that's not a surprise. I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect him to be with Milwaukee in one form or another on opening day. I can see him in Milwaukee next year if there's an injury or a September call-up. I think he starts 2010 on the opening day roster.

If he's the best, sure. I would prefer to give him more time at 3B in the minors. I do have a feeling Mat will be busting his tail this off-season and I think there will be posts around here in March wondering if his great bat and improve defense should make him the opening day starter. I would prefer to let him stick at 3B in the minors.

I like Mitch a lot. I think it will be Mitch and Dillard's spots to lose in spring training in regards to a bullpen spot.

Archived