Brewer Fanatic

Cubs/Astros Series and Hurricane Ike

wibadgers23
I thought that seemed a little bit of a strange suggestion!

What about the Louisiana Superdome?

I thought about the Superdome as well. My rationale is that it is close to Houston and the dimensions of the makeshift baseball field would be decently close to those at The Juice Box, with a short porch in left field and all.

It looks like the possibility that all three games could be postponed with a doubleheader on Monday and then a game in Houston on 9/29 if it has playoff implications. A 9/29 game would be bad news for the Crew:

-if Houston is playing for the wild card, the Cubs would basically play their scrubs and rest their regulars for the playoffs

-if the Cubs need to win the game for the division, Houston would play their AAA guys just to get them some experience

In other words, if a game is needed on 9/29, whoever "needs" that game to make the playoffs is going to get a free win. Then again, this could all be a moot point if the weather clears earlier than expected.

Hurricanes are among the most unpredictable storms there are - what happens if Ike hits near Houston and the cold front it's running into stalls it right there? The hurricane-force winds may dissipate, but Houston would be measuring the rainfall it receives by the foot, not the inch, in that scenario. Something similar to that happened with a tropical storm that came in a few years back, and parts of Houston were several feet under water after 46 inches of rain fell over a relatively short period of time.

Yeah, that was TS Allison back in 2001. Houston floods very easily. It would certainly add insult to injury if it were to stall. I live in Baytown - 25 miles of Houston on I-10. A mandatory evac has been issued for the southernmost part of the town, but I'm riding it out - nervously.

Yeah, that was TS Allison back in 2001. Houston floods very easily. It would certainly add insult to injury if it were to stall. I live in Baytown - 25 miles of Houston on I-10. A mandatory evac has been issued for the southernmost part of the town, but I'm riding it out - nervously.
Good luck, man. I'd get out. My wife's cousin lives in League City and they're making their way to SA today. It's looking like Galveston and Houston are going to get hit hard. I wouldn't ride it out. But that's just me. You're in my prayers.

Just make the Cubs play a triple header on Monday. Problem solved. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
I know just about everyone on this board hates the Cubs. However, it would make much more sense to root against the Astros in this series.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I know just about everyone on this board hates the Cubs. However, it would make much more sense to root against the Astros in this series.
I think you miss the point that the hope is the Cubs wear out their bullpen with a double (or triple) header on Monday, because the Brewers play them on Tuesday. It'd be great if the Cubs win a double header in 15 and 20 innings Monday.

The Cubs were finishing a series in St. Louis on Thursday night and pitcher Jason Marquis wondered why the teams couldn't agree to meet in another city.

"Why don't we play at a neutral site?" he said. "It's ridiculous."

What a guy. A massive storm bearing down on the area, and this guy is upset because they have to move some games around? Dude, just shut up.

Well, at least it looks like Ike is not strengthening, though Galveston Island is still going to get hit hard with storm surge.

I went through Alicia in 83, but I lived in a different part of town back then. I would leave in a minute if I were in a mandatory evacuation zone.

As for baseball, I really don't know how the Astros are winning all these games. I figured them for a 76-86 team.

Here is my bold prediction:

Game 1 (#151, actually): Sabathia v Zambrano @ Wrigley (man, what a match-up!) will be rained out due to Ike.

Chicago has been getting absolutely non-stop pounded by rain since Gustav's and Hanna's respective landfalls. Ike is going to bring some major precip up in that boosh, too.

So get to Wrigley on Wednesday for the double header double Ace dip.

edit:

someone with some more meteorological inclinations can confirm Chicago rain periods post-lead-time of hurricane landfall to make it a less bold prediction.

We need a hurricane, too, so Kendall can get some rest.

Yeah, I'm still not sure why they didn't call him up...guess his star has dimmed somewhat in the eyes of the team. But even so I don't think Iribarren could catch, tho I could see using him to pinch run and play some defense at second now and again. I think he lacks the grit to be a catcher though.

Archived