Brewer Fanatic

5/26/06 Brewers (Capuano) @ Phillies (Lidle) 6:05 PM CST

Mass Haas
  • Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Hallelujah!

A Thrilla in Philla tonight.

I don't know how to feel...Should I be happy that despite everything going against these guys (all the GIDP's early, D-Bow's blown save, winning run on third with one out) they came through?

OR

Should we be unhappy that this game even required extra innings given how well Cappy was pitching and how well we were hitting.

All in all though, I am happy. A win is a win is a win.

I can't figure out if the Phillies are going to be tough all year, or if this will be a typical choke job from them. They have some clear strengths and glaring weaknesses, one of which seems to be in the dugout. Still, these wins could look pretty good down the road.

For what its worth, we now have clinched the season series with Philly. Not that it really means that much at this point of the season, but I thought I'd just throw it out there.

First of all, the JS Online headline right now reads "Brewers 6, Reds 5." Mock them before they notice the mistake.

I was at the game tonight, and, well, holy crap. I am way too old for this. I'm not sure I have much to add that you don't already know if you saw the game on TV. I was on the third base side, which gave me a great view of Koskie's double play on the line drive. It was a great play combined with great luck, because if the ball isn't right there he doesn't make it. Turnbow was throwing gas, but he was throwing it straight, and you don't do that with the middle of the Phillies' order. What else . . . Carlos Lee looked like a total fool when he did his belly flop job; he was the only guy in the park who didn't know that ball was falling in. When Weeks missed getting Victorino on that shovel play in the tenth, there was a nice moment when Prince slapped him on the butt. Rickie obviously cares about his defense, and Prince's role as supportive little brother is just one more sign of astonishing maturity in a guy his age. Both Prince and Rickie looked absolutely locked in at the plate. Rickie did hit into one of those confounding double plays, but he at least got deep into the count and hit the ball sharply. The vets -- IIRC it was Miller and Clark, I've misplaced my scorecard -- were the ones who looked really bad, letting Lidle off the hook by hitting weak grounders on first pitches. Capuano did not have his best stuff, but his command was superb; I wasn't tracking this in the first two innings, but I don't recall his going 2-0 or 3-1 once during the game. He has turned into a real pitcher, a great combination of physical ability and sky-high baseball I.Q. The bottom of the tenth was some of the best baseball drama I've ever seen in person. You just knew Utley was going to get his shot, and make the most of it, because he was hitless on his own bobblehead night up to that point -- and then the Phillies' thin bench finally did them in when the game came down to Roberson, whose replacement of Burrell probably no one in the stands remembered until they saw him step to the plate.

The Brewers blew this game in at least two big ways -- the early double plays, the D-Bow meltdown -- and still managed to beat a good team with something to play for in its own ballpark. It was great to watch. But part of me thinks both teams will be a little relieved if at least one of these next two games is a blowout, because this nail biter stuff is hard to handle in massive doses. I'm back there tomorrow and Sunday, so I'll ramble on a bit more after those games.

Greg.

Let's get one thing straight... Eveland is NOT Hendrickson, or he wouldn't be on the team anymore.

Eveland can at least throw strikes when he has to and Evelands fastball doesn't just go straight. in fact nothing he throws goes straight. He has a decent fastball with a solid changeup and an average slider. Hendrickson has a slightly above average curveball and that's basically it.

Eveland gives us a chance to win. Bush will only get better by the way.. i'm not too worried about his last start.

Quote:
Eveland gives us a chance to win.

Not really. He gives us a better chance than Ben did, but that's still not saying much. I don't see how someone who has an 8.22 ERA, and a WHIP of 2.02 is really doing much to help us win games. I mean, he doesn't eat up innings(longest outing has been 5.2 IP), he has a decent K/BB ratio, at best(17/9). He does have good stuff, he just isn't good enough yet. Maybe he is tipping his pitches or something.

Quote:
Bush will only get better by the way.. i'm not too worried about his last start.

Ya, he will be fine. He just got knocked around by a good offense. If he can get that ERA down to around 4.4 or so, i will be happy.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived