Brewer Fanatic

The Infield -- 2009 & Beyond

TooLiveBrew
Yep Weeks has hit as well as everyone's favorite backup QB er 2B Durham since the All Star break and is better defensively. Moving Hall at this point makes little sense since he give you a great RH platoon option at 3B and can fill in around the infield meaning while moving him entails eating salary and brinigng in a no hit UI for about the same price.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem I have with Week's offense this year is two-fold. First, I don't like Weeks leading off (not a consistent OBP). Second, his offensive numbers overall on the year, dont look great because we have too many other liabilities in our lineup. You get better numbers out of some combination of your right fielder, thirdbase, catcher and centerfielder and all of a sudden, Weeks looks very good. (I would actually rather have Weeks over Hall, Cameron and Hart)

I believe Weeks should be batting 7th. Weeks has proven up until this point that he is not consistent enough throughout the entire year to get on base regularly. Problem is that we have the same problem in Cameron, the platoon of Hall/Counsell/Branyan, Hart and Kendell.

So what do we need? We need a better lead-off hitter, a number five hitter and ideally a new six hitter than what we have this year. At the very least for next year, we need improvement offensively out of two positions, any two out of centerfield, rightfield, secondbase, thirdbase and catcher with both having a higher OBP than what we had this year.

That can be easily accomplished in the off-season as we have a lot of flexibility position wise via position changes, talent in minors, decent major league talent that can be swapped out for similar talented albeit different talents(i.e swap out a defensive player with power for one who is adequate defensively with little power but has a good OBP and some speed). We have seven positions we can improve on when we add Fielder to the mix. Braun is the only untouchable. So Melvin really needs to look at what we don't do well offensively and go after guys that fit those needs. If they happen to play second or third or centerfield or whatever, you go get them and move the spare parts for something else. The one thing this team can't do is stay status quo. Some changes need to be made.

Yep Weeks has hit as well as everyone's favorite backup QB er 2B Durham since the All Star break and is better defensively. Moving Hall at this point makes little sense since he give you a great RH platoon option at 3B and can fill in around the infield meaning while moving him entails eating salary and brinigng in a no hit UI for about the same price.
Either way you look at it, we need to make some changes as its become very obvious that we need to go away from the all or nothing offense we have. Add one or two more players with a good OBP and this club becomes a lot better. I look at the Cubs lineup and their entire lineup is littered with players whose OBP is 360 or better. How many do we have? 2?

JJ is refusing a move? Get rid of him, who does he think he is Derek Jeter? I'm not sure if escobar is ready to go yet, though I hope someone other than Ned is ready to decide that. I agree, Trade Prince and put Gamel on 1st. Move Weeks to Guantanamo with the other criminals because that's all he is, a criminally bad baseball player, move Bill Hall there too, lasik my arse the dude is super terrible.

Archived