Brewer Fanatic

Why so many September callups?

Fear The Chorizo

With how pathetic the Crew has started September, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with what seems to be 50 fresh faces in the clubhouse that were called up. The Brewers were on a roll and relatively healthy, why disrupt the clubhouse by adding a pile of youngsters for their "cup of coffee"?

I'm not saying the reason why the Brewers can't win anymore is due to the presence of Gamel or Escobar on the bench, but honestly, why mess with a roster that was working so well? Part of me thinks having all these guys up has taken some focus of the regular players away. Also, it creates any Brewer fan's worst nightmare - more players for Yost to make stupid decisions with. And if these callups aren't going to be used, they shouldn't be there. Most of them still fall under the prospect label, and I don't want September games being decided by prospects with little to no MLB experience, not when winning or losing can affect a playoff birth.

Had this team not been contending, I'd be all for calling up everyone and anyone - I personally don't see the point of introducing major league newbies into a pennant race they weren't a part of creating over the first 5+ months of the season.

I think most people here will argue that the callups aren't being used ENOUGH. Obviously, nobody really expects them to start any games, and they shouldn't, but considering how poorly we're hitting right now, it might not hurt to give a couple of them an extra pinch hit appearance or two.

And if these callups aren't going to be used, they shouldn't be there. Most of them still fall under the prospect label, and I don't want September games being decided by prospects with little to no MLB experience, not when winning or losing can affect a playoff birth.

The reason the callups are there is for the small chance of an extra inning game where you use up all your position players and relievers and have to have relief pitchers bat and position players bring out their knuckle ball they throw for fun. The front office didn't want to lose a 15 inning game because they didn't bring up enough players when they were allowed to have more than 25.

John Kruk made an interesting observation recently about Sept. callups to a team in a pennant race. He stated he was against it because the clubhouse becomes crowded, the chemistry changes, young guys get in the way, and the regulars get less batting practice because of the numbers. I don't know if he's right or wrong, but what's our record since the callups?

You don't use kids just to use them, you go with who gives you the best chance to win, that's why Lamb has got a couple chances, he's an experienced vet who can PH. The Kruk argument is crap, teams that are hot called up guys too, everyone does it.

The day they lose a 22 inning game because they used all the pitchers and DiFelice has to go 4 and gives up a run, then you'll wonder why Pena is not up. Right now, folks are just looking for reasons to complain about a small sample, which involved many instances of line drives hit right at the defense. That's why the playoffs are a crap shoot, and why stat guys dismiss April numbers as meaningless...they are.

I think they give an NL manager a lot of flexability. I don't think Yost is really utilizing them properly, though. Kendall should be pinch hit for in close games, for instance. I also think that Yost is trying to save his better pinch hitters for later in the game. If you have men on first and second and no out, it doesn't matter if it's the 6th or the 9th. Give yourself the best chance to score.

The Kruk argument is crap, teams that are hot called up guys too, everyone does it.

Is this from your experience in major league locker rooms? I would not call it 'crap'. I know I've spoken with a few guys who say it does change things a bit, but I don't think it means the season's over. I also don't think the Brewers situation is anywhere near what Kruk is talking about. If Gamel/Escobar/Salome were pushing for playing time against veteran players struggling (well Gamel fits that bill) it would upset some veterans and would wreck the clubhouse. The Brewers won't get anywhere near what Kruk is talking about. Yost has made it clear the guys called up will just PH.

I think they called up to many people. A team has a certain chemistry and that can and will change when you throw a bunch of new people in the mix. If it was any other losing year, I'd have no problem but really.. Is Nelson and Escobar really going to make a contribution during the playoff run? I think they have a better chance of screwing up than helping us.

And it gives Ned stupid ideas.. like pinch running a guy in a key moment of the game who has 20 minutes of MLB experience.

Community Moderator

I agree--as bad as Hall/Counsell have been at 3rd base, the idea of throwing Gamel and his glove out these is scary.

I'm usually fine with the pinch running, usually players learn in little league to freeze on line drives. It does illustrate the point that even though the regulars have looked like they are under pressure, the minor leaguers can look like deer in the headlights.

My main argument is that we have no idea how well or poorly the minor leaguers are going to do. For teams in last place, September callups are a good chance to give young players big league experience and find out where they are in terms of progression. In a pennant race, the Brewers simply can't afford to find out whether or not our minor leaguers can play at the MLB level. The other day, we "found out" that Escobar has some baserunning issues. It might have lost us a game to learn that fact. They could start out their MLB careers like Braun or Clint Barmes, or they could start them like Fielder or Hardy did. It's not worth the risk to find out. It would be nice for one of them to get hot and get a key hit down the stretch, but odds are higher that they will blow a game than win one. At least I know what I'm getting with Counsell and Kendall--and I know that neither of them is likely to make a critical mistake down the stretch.

Thus, limited pinch hitting duty and catcher replacement (so Rivera can actually play) is the best option. In blowouts, they all should be brought in for the last few innings.

Sometimes teams just slump because they slump, there isn't some obscure elaborate and most likely complete BS reason for it.

Sorry but this really seems to be stretching the limits of looking for an excuse for a poor stretch which is something every team has multiple times every year.

I also think that Yost is trying to save his better pinch hitters for later in the game. If you have men on first and second and no out, it doesn't matter if it's the 6th or the 9th.

We hear that from Bill S., too..."it's too early to use _________...". If you score in the 6th, maybe you won't need to score in the ninth. If you don't use the best pinch hitter in the 6th, you may not have a good situation to use him in the ninth or you may have to use him with bases empty and 2 outs in the ninth.

Since Gamel, Escobar and Salome don't figure to really play much they probably should have not brought them here. The only guys I would have brought were Dillard, DiFelice and Stetter for the pen. Rottino to be the 3rd catcher, Gwynn to pinch run and Nelson for some pop off the bench. That is it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think they were brought up to be shown how to play in a pennant race. O wait....

Their might be something to the overall mindset of some of the established guys. They could be thinking, "well this guy might have my job next year" then they put to much pressure on themselves and then choke

Archived