Brewer Fanatic

Why does Bill Hall continue to play against RH pitching...

Postseason2006

Community Moderator
Hall is a better option than Counsell, but Lamb seems to know what he's doing, so maybe let him try for a few games. It certainly can't get any worse. They may as well play Gamel, Escobar, Nelson, and Salome--even a AA team could hit better than us right now.

Yost said Weeks and Hall have not fared well against Bronson Arroyo, who is starting for the Reds tomorrow, and he didn't want them to miss the entire series. So, he's playing them tonight and then Durham and Counsell tomorrow.
So...they're too bad to play tomorrow, so let's play them today? Nice philosophy.

How about sitting them BOTH days??? For the love of God, this isn't Little League. Let these losers sit on the bench, where they belong, against all RHP.

242 AB's against righties this year. .169/.236/.550. Waiting for him to get hot? It isn't going to happen. Those are pitchers batting stats, not a third baseman. I would do something drastic at this point. Matt Gamel should get some starts, or move Hardy over to third (I know it's crazy but I bet LaRussa would try it) and start Escobar at SS.

I don't know that there are better options than Hall (too bad Branyan can't get out there), but Yost has always managed like it is little league. He does not want Gagne to feel bad so he keeps him as closer until Gagne himself says he sucks and should not close. He worries far to much, imo, about getting everyone playing time...he usually states it that way...saying things like gotta get Counsel (or whoever) some starts, not JJ or Weeks needs a day off.

I really think this goes back to his own playing days. When he was first hired he had said something like that he felt that he was not given enough opportunities as a player, that they gave up on him too soon.

Actually according to Handicourt at least tonight is because Hall struggles against Arroyo
Ah yes, Yost using meaningful statistical analysis to make his line-up. Hall has 16 at bats vs. Arroyo in the last 3 years. Why not start him and say Hall has done well vs. Arroyo this season, he is batting .333 against him with a 1.333 SLG.

I think Hall needs a change of scenery. He might put together some of the worst AB's I have ever seen. With all the hitting talent we have it is just amazing how much most have underacheived this year. At some point it comes down to the coaching staff. We have a bunch of inpatient hitters incapable of having an OBP higher than .330. Either Melvin compiled a crappy offense or Skaalen and Yost aren't doing there jobs. I would be inclined to say that it is a combination of both. The way Hall is playing and the way the Brewers in general fare against righties is seems more and more likely that the Brewers are going to give Gamel every opportunity to win the 3rd base job next year.

I really think this goes back to his own playing days. When he was first hired he had said something like that he felt that he was not given enough opportunities as a player, that they gave up on him too soon.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/patrickrbarry/SCe3pgVCvYI/AAAAAAAABvg/cNE2G1ls1tg/s288/Uncle%20Rico%201.jpg

Just another day at the office for Bill Hall last night. 0-3 with a BB. Against a RHPer he might as well not swing and just hope for a walk.

I can't believe a 28 year old that is very athletic has just begun to fall off a cliff like this. A similar player and story doesn't come to mind.

I thought it was stupid he didn't do a double switch with Hall/Lamb when Torres was brought in. Instead he had to pinch hit for Torres the second batter. Who did he use? Mike Lamb! Then when Hall comes up in extra innings he pinch hits him for Counsell!

I can't believe a 28 year old that is very athletic has just begun to fall off a cliff like this. A similar player and story doesn't come to mind.

Maybe hall is pulling a Sheffield and tanking the season because he got stuck in a platoon earlier in the year. Remember he asked to be traded earlier this year. Just a thought.

secondsith wrote:

Maybe hall is pulling a Sheffield and tanking the season because he got stuck in a platoon earlier in the year. Remember he asked to be traded earlier this year. Just a thought.

I doubt it since he was bad last year as well. Besides that, he was stuck in a platoon specifically because he was sucking this year. It isn't like he was playing well and they just arbitrarily decided he needed to be platooned.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived