Brewer Fanatic

5/27/06 Brewers (Bush) @ Phillies (Floyd)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewers Win!

Nice to see Turnbow back in the groove, despite the walk.

A 3 game winning streak on the road! First time that's happened this year. Bizarre series so far. Nice to win the 1st two games and 5 of 5 from Phillies.

Go get them tomorrow, Dana Eveland.

How does everyone feel about that out of the batters box call? My personal interpretation is that since it was a foul tip (which is not considered a foul ball -- ball remains live and in play), it should have been called like a swing & miss rather than actually making contact.

Community Moderator

How does everyone feel about that out of the batters box call? My personal interpretation is that since it was a foul tip (which is not considered a foul ball -- ball remains live and in play), it should have been called like a swing & miss rather than actually making contact.

The rule is that if he fouls it, he's out.

My problem with the call comes from the fact that at that point in the game, there was no back line on the batters box to even show that he was out of it.

Quote:
t should have been called like a swing & miss rather than actually making contact.

But he did not swing AND miss. He made contact, the rule says contact. The only argument is whether or not he was out of the box.

I agree with the call... like was said, the rule says contact and Brady made contact.

The thing I have to question is how the home plate ump can see where the batters foot is when he makes contact with the ball and call balls and strikes at the same time.

That's probably the reason he missed that 3rd strike against Burrell in the 9th... he was looking to see if his feet were in the box!!

A batter is out for illegal action when_ (a) He hits a ball with one or both feet on the ground entirely outside the batter's box. If a batter hits a ball fair or foul while out of the batter's box, he shall be called out.

The rule doesn't really just say contact. It says hitting the ball fair or foul. Foul tips are never played as actually hitting the ball foul and that's why I disagree with the call.

regardless of the weird call, great win. the resilience (sp?) (i'm trying not to say the "b" word here) of this team is awesome. and like i said before, imagine if we get our top pitcher back, and our bullpen actually starts to pitch like a bullpen...? these guys refuse to go under .500 right now, and that is a huge difference from the last 24 years... i love it

How are foul tips never played as actually hitting the ball foul?

When you hit a foul ball, play is dead and runners have to return to their original base. On a foul tip, play continues and runners are free to advance.

Quote:
When you hit a foul ball, play is dead and runners have to return to their original base. On a foul tip, play continues and runners are free to advance.

On the flip side, if you foul tip and it is not caught, it is a foul. They don't run on over to 1st and try to beat the throw coming from the catcher, it's just a foul ball. So this is debatable.

The definition of a foul tip is one where the ball is hit directly into the catcher's mitt and caught.

from MLB.com

A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher's hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catcher's glove or hand.

That really was a joke of a call on Brady and I think the only reason it was even an issue is because of the catchers interference call in his previous AB. I'm sure a member of the Phillies was PO'ed with the questionable interference call (did anyone really see contact with the catcher's mitt?) and griped to the ump. The call on Brady was in essence a make up call.

Anyone who thinks it was the correct call is only saying that because it made no difference in the game...if Brady had homered in that AB it would be a different story.

But bottom line, we won and I'm ecstatic. I'll stand by my opinion that with a healthy Sheets and Ohka this is a playoff team. Yes, even with the crappy middle relief. Great little win road streak we've had and hopefully it continues.

I think the key here is there was only 1 strike at the time. therefor it was ruled a putout by the catcher, rather than a strikeout.

My understanding of the rule is that it doesn't matter if it was a foul tip, foul ball, base hit, double, triple, or a home run. Brady made contact with his foot out of the batters box, and was ruled out by the umpire. The other key is that apparently when the umpire ruled catcher's interferece during Clark's previous at bat, he was also issued a warning pertaining to where he lines up in the batter's box. Therefor, since he made contact while out of the box, after having been warned, he was ruled out. If he hadn't made contact, it would have simply been strike two, and the umpire would presumably issue a second warning. But he wouldn't have been out.

Archived