Brewer Fanatic

Time to move Parra to the bullpen?

nate82
Why can't Villy and McClung both go 3 innings each and then get the last 3 innings out of the pen. They are long men, they shouldn't need to be stretched out to throw 3 innings.
That isn't a bad idea. Since both usually get knocked around in the 4th or 5th inning. Parra just does not look good at all right now. But I'm scared to put Villa or Seth in the rotation since they have both been decent out of the pen.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I think the bullpen has to become the 5th starter. If Villaneuva and Mclung can go 3 or so each that would be all we need to get through to the end of the year. Shut Parra down for a couple of weeks and let him pitch again once prior to the playoffs to see if he makes the post season roster or not. It's not like the bullpen is short of pitchers right now.

At this point I don't think we have a choice.

Parra has become more erratic and hittable with each passing start since the ASB. The kid is going to be a very good pitcher, it just seems like he's running out of gas. We can't really afford to throw a guy out there with a 5.10 ERA since the ASB every 5th day at this point in the year.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

At this point I don't think we have a choice.

Parra has become more erratic and hittable with each passing start since the ASB. The kid is going to be a very good pitcher, it just seems like he's running out of gas. We can't really afford to throw a guy out there with a 5.10 ERA since the ASB every 5th day at this point in the year.

He's clearly hit the wall. The Brewers need to get someone up.

They have 11 pitchers in the bullpen, so it does not really matter if it takes 5 of them to get through a game. Start DeFelice, Villy, or McClung and use one of them for long relief if needed and you still have the other one available if needed the next day. If they make the playoffs, I assume Parra goes to the pen so it might also help to get him used to that.

(BTW, Parra is listed as probable starter for thursday on brewers.com)

Options do matter, as a player without options cannot be sent to the minors, even back when they were playing. Seth would never have cleared waivers, he'd move right into 15-20 rotations, as he's cheap and has a 4.50 ERA.

I don't disagree with your point. My point is that any chance to stretch him out in a minor league game is gone. If this was a month ago, there'd be more debate about this. Remember when most here thought McClung was horrible and now want him starting over Parra? Strange what a little patience does and not just grabbing stats and stating a guy is garbage.

Right now it is clear that Villanueva gives us a better chance to win

I don't disagree with this either, but you'd have to stretch him out. Maybe some simulated games or something. I do think it's a bit too late to do this though. I wonder what the Brewers think his role will be next year.

People keep forgetting that DiFelice is in the pen

I wonder what his 'mound days' have been like. I hope the Brewers have kept him in the long relief/spot starter role. He's not a bad option if he's able to handle the work.

The JS is also reporting that McClung is taking Parra's spot. I wonder how McClung's bullpen sessions have been going. He's barely pitched in games so I hope the Brewers have kept him on schedule to be able to make a decent start in terms of innings/pitch count.

If this was a situation where there was a consensus between the Brewer scouts and the coaching staff that Parra really was wearing out, I would feel a lot better about this. Unless Yost was the only hold out, I don't think that was the case. Parra still had good velocity but that is just one symptom of pitcher fatigue.

Just not feeling good about this.

If this was a situation where there was a consensus between the Brewer scouts and the coaching staff that Parra really was wearing out, I would feel a lot better about this. Unless Yost was the only hold out, I don't think that was the case. Parra still had good velocity but that is just one symptom of pitcher fatigue.

Just not feeling good about this.

I agree. I don't know if I'm too pumped about this move. I just think the drop off from Parra to a McClung that hasn't pitched much at all lately could be pretty big.

I hope the Brewers have kept him on schedule to be able to make a decent start in terms of innings/pitch count.

I like the move, Parra may be worn out and has not seemed to be too effective. They have plenty of arms in the bullpen to back-up McClung...Villanueva, DeFelice. If Parra is going to the bullpen should they make the playoffs, this lets him get used to it a little.

I assume that the overall plan is to then skip the McClung spot with the off day and go CC, Sheets, Bush for the final 3 games. Then (hopefully) CC pitches on Oct 1.

I like the move too but whether it was Parra, Mclung or whoever, at this point anyone not named Sheets or Sabathia should be on a very short leash. You can't let your starter dig a 5 or 6 run hole in the first couple innings.

What I like about the move is that is it gives Sveum the ability against lefthanded lineups to make his first move to a lefthander. Say the Reds stack their lineup against Suppan Friday with 5 or 6 lefties, and Suppan allows 3 or runs in the first couple innings. Get him out of there and bring in Parra who'd have favorable matchups and should be able to keep the game under control.

It's fine to say your starter only has to go 3-4 innings because you have 11 guys in the pen (10, minus Riske now), but what good is that when most of them suck?

True, but if your starter is sucking already might as well see if another unreliable pitcher is happening to have a good day.

I like the move purely to limit Manny's innings. I don't think there will be much drop off either. I don't expect McClung to make it past the fifth inning, but wouldn't expect Manny to either.

On a side note, I'd suspect McClung was one of the players disgusted with Yost after being moved to the pen.

Archived