Brewer Fanatic

Time to move Parra to the bullpen?

nate82

Parra has looked bad his last couple of outings. Shouldn't McClung be moved from the bullpen and into the rotation? I believe Parra is about out of gas and I would rather have him rested up and ready to go for the playoffs out of the bullpen if needed than keep on killing his confidence.

For the playoffs if we make it I would rather have the rotation go Sabathia, Sheets, Bush. Bush has pitched alright the last few games barring the Mets game and he didn't really pitch bad other than that first inning. Bush has the 3rd best BAA in the starting rotation and he is 11th in the NL with that stat and in the top 25 in all of MLB.

The only way to lengthen out Seth would be to put him in the rotation, as he's out of options. Were you suggesting to go with your 6th best starter as you contend?

Where would he pitch? The options fact doesn't matter. I've pointed out in other threads McClung is nowhere near ready to start. He's barely pitched out of the pen and I agree with you there, but he can't get stretched out anywhere right now (more or less). His options don't matter, but the fact the minor league season is more or less done means he'd have to get stretched with the Crew, but I do agree with your other reasoning Al.

How about Defilice instead?

Same thing as McClung. He's not stretched out and hasn't pitched for awhile. They'll have to 'stack' some of the guys who aren't stretched out in order to stretch him out. I get this feeling that Gallardo might be coming in soon to replace Parra or 'stacking' with him. Again, it's just a feeling, but something seems to be up.

The only way to lengthen out Seth would be to put him in the rotation, as he's out of options. Were you suggesting to go with your 6th best starter as you contend?

I am suggesting that I (as well as many others in the "Limit Parra's Innings" thread) thought that not only would he hit a wall, but also put his long term health into jeopardy before the season was out. The guy has a great future, but due to his past he just hasn't pitched many innings. Should they have gone with Seth (their 6th best starter)? Maybe for a few of Parra's starts, yes. Especially if it keeps your 3rd or 4th best starter available for the last month of the season instead of turning him into your 6th best starter.

Otherwise, doesn't Villy still have options? Stretching him out at the end of last year worked great. And a Defilice start or two wouldn't have been the end of the world.

I am not mindlessly bashing Ned here. I think a lot of us brought up these points in the past and now they appear to be coming true.

They've got to do something about Parra. He's our No. 2 heading into next season ... no sense in burning him out with five-run second innings this year and then have nothing for next year. If we want to lose every fifth day, send out Gagne and his $10 million as a starter.

I did some analysis on this subject in mid August and figured that by his last start, through the end of the year, he would be pretty ineffective.

The way that I came to that conclusion was based on his inning totals. His previous career high for IP was in 2004 when he threw 139 innings. I thought that 10% over that number would still leave us with an effective Manny Parra, and anything above that would leave him pretty shaky. His last start was that "over 10%" number for him in innings. I would guess that from here on out he may get to the 5th and then just be too tired to be anywhere near what he was the first part of the year.

We shouldnt forget that the year after Parra's previous high for IP, he had shoulder problems and needed surgery and wound up losing almost 2 years of his career.

Problem with shutting Parra down now is that McClung wouldnt be any better of an option. There was a reason he was removed from the rotation in the first place. Looks like a Sabathia and Sheets pray for rain type of scenario for the Brewers in the last 17 games.

Parra's last outing saw 5 unearned runs. I think the leash of expectations should run a bit longer. His recent outings, while short, have seen solid BB/K output. I don't think there's any reason to be super-concerned yet about him. Manny's averaged just ~ 91 pitches over his last 6 starts, which is both him getting hit but also Yost (imo) doing a decent job letting Parra get his work in without over-using him. Parra's still not over 160 IP, so I think he's got those last 3 regular season starts in him.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Parra's last outing saw 5 unearned runs. I think the leash of expectations should run a bit longer. His recent outings, while short, have seen solid BB/K output. I don't think there's any reason to be super-concerned yet about him. Manny's averaged just ~ 91 pitches over his last 6 starts, which is both him getting hit but also Yost (imo) doing a decent job letting Parra get his work in without over-using him. Parra's still not over 160 IP, so I think he's got those last 3 regular season starts in him.
Giving up a double to the pitcher when you struck out the last hitter is not really a god thing and he wasn't pitching good after the 2nd inning. First two innings Parra blew past the Padres and then started to unravel during the 3rd inning. The errors didn't help but he wasn't pitching all that great either during that 3rd inning or the following two innings either.

Statistically, I don't see anything obvious that might signal that he's wearing down. Walk and K rate looks solid August-September.

Pitch f/x data would be a good thing to look at in this case. Is his velocity down? Does his stuff still have the same movement?

I figured that the Brewers would give Parra an occasional day or even skip a few of his starts during August to make sure he was good to go in September. McClung wouldn't have been far removed from starting, and could have easily given them 5-6 innings here and there.

Since they didn't do that, the Brewers don't really have anyone in the pen that's stretched out enough to trust making a start at this point in the season, so hopefully Parra is feeling strong.

he has hit a wall as of late, but you are kind of commited to him at this point. no one else is really ready to go as a starter right now. there is one remaining off day that could skip his turn, and that would make the rotation for the final series

cc, sheets, bush

instead of

suppan, cc, sheets

I think I am in favor of skipping his last turn. it gives cc a better chance to be ready to start the first game of the playoffs, and sheets the second. otherwise we are probably throwing Bush in game 1 of the first playoff series.

so much of this depends on how the next 4 games go though, it is pretty hard to speculate at this point...

I think they should have moved him to the pen for a month when we picked up CC. Of course that might not have worked out either. We are where we are right now partially because Parra helped us get here. Maybe he is cashed for the season, but then we would have to turn to a committee of pitchers to take over his spot since nobody is stretched out and there is no way to stretch them out.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived