Brewer Fanatic

TH: Torres proclaimed the Brewers would catch the Cubs?

pretendastronaut

So TH has a blog post stating this; "closer Salomon Torres brashly proclaimed that the reeling Brewers still would catch the Cubs." Trouble is, I don't see that quote anywhere, not even from TH. The guys over at NSBB have picked up this post and started to run with it, which I'm sure will be a quality thread about the Torres and the Brewers. (No disrespect to NSBB, they're generally a quality board, the comment is about the type of comments I expect in that specific thread.)

The only quotes I see from Torres after last night's game are;

"We cannot worry about what anybody else does," he said. "They are in the rear-view mirror. We cannot act like they are ahead of us."

JS Blog

"We have to keep fighting," Torres said. "I'm sure I'm going to get the same situation tomorrow to save the game, and it's going to be business as usual. We cannot let this affect us."

He added: "This is a time to show what we are made of. This is the time to finish proud. How long has it been, 26 years?"

Brewers.com

Does anyone have the quote? I don't see Torres say anything brash, in fact, I respect everything he said. He's always seemed very grounded to me, and it seems like he's going to be bashed for something he didn't actually say, rather TH did. Am I wrong?

Can I also add this editorial that says it was posted yesterday on JSOnline.com? Was the editorial staff asleep for the past 2 weeks? Timely reporting there, JS.

Editorial: Wounded red birds

By untucking their shirts, the Milwaukee Brewers ruffled the feathers of the poor St. Louis Cardinals. So?

From the Journal Sentinel

Posted: Sept. 8, 2008

Baseball has become plain vanilla of late. Gone are the times of "Harvey's Wallbangers" and the "Big Red Machine."

Today, there are few nicknames and even fewer characters like Reggie Jackson or Rollie Fingers. It also seems as though there are more unwritten rules.

The latest unwritten rule stems from the St. Louis Cardinals taking offense to the Milwaukee Brewers untucking their jerseys after beating the red birds in St. Louis several weeks ago.

Losing 10 out of 15 to the Brewers may have a lot to do with the sore feelings, but there's no crying in baseball.

Here's a suggestion for St. Louis: If you want to stop the Brewers from celebrating: Beat 'em! Until then, chill out.

The Brewers have been untucking their shirts all year in a show of support to centerfielder Mike Cameron. Cameron started the gesture back in 2000 to honor his father, who would come home and untuck his shirt after a successful day at work. He brought the gesture to Milwaukee, and it quickly caught on with the outfielders and soon spread to the infield. Now, most of the team does it after a win.

The Brewers are on the brink of their first playoff berth in 26 years. If they accomplish that, we all should untuck our shirts for a job well done.

This was just the topic at the office today. The Cubs are running through the gauntlet, while we have a much softer schedule:

Cubs

-------

3@ STL

3 @ HOU

3 V. MIL

3 V. STL

4 @ NYM

3 @ MIL

Brewers

-----------

2 V. CIN

4 @ PHI

3 @ CHI

3 @ CIN

3 V. PIT

3 V. CHI

Hopefully the 8 games v. Cincy and Pittsburgh will help.

I haven't seen the quote yet, either, and I'd think TH would want to put it out there before he thorws gas on any fires.

That said, I've definitely stopped thinking about the Cubs (and with it, stopped visiting NSBB, who needs the hassle?)...I just want the playoff spot (which is strange, since before last night the Phils were as close to us as we were to the Cubs, yet I feel like they're right on our backs).

I don't know if it helps or hurt the Brewers that they apparently are still mainly pushing to catch them (and really, why wouldn't they?).

This quote appeared in both the Wisconsin State Journal and Capital Times:

"We cannot control what anybody else (does in the wild card race). They are in the rear-view mirror. If they were ahead, that's a different story. But we've still got the lead so we cannot act like we are behind them. They need to worry, not us. And the Chicago Cubs, they need to worry because we're going to get them. That's all I can say."
I assume the last sentence is the one you're looking for.

Capital Times link

Wisconsin State Journal link

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived