Brewer Fanatic

How many millions has Fielder cost himself in the last month?

JohnBriggs12
Prince's destiny is as a DH. He just can't bend over and it's only getting worse. Trade him to an AL team NOW while he still has some value left. If he packs on another 25 lbs of tofu in the offseason his value will be cut in half.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prince's destiny is as a DH. He just can't bend over and it's only getting worse. Trade him to an AL team NOW while he still has some value left. If he packs on another 25 lbs of tofu in the offseason his value will be cut in half.

Of course if he maintains his current weight and doesn't start the season with a 2 month slump like in 2008 and hits 45 HR his value goes up.

So now his bad defense is a character issue ? Braun must have been terrible person last year because he couldn't play defense!
Wow end, do you even read the posts before you fire off something negative? Get a clue...sheesh.
http://images.yuku.com/image/gif/ecd15d96863718c28a23cc4dfa674d743c84118.gif

-------------------------------------------------------

I think the key words in the article/TH blog were "substantial package". Like someone else said, they aren't giving him away, but he isn't untouchable either. If someone blew me away with an offer of at least two stud pitchers and a stud LH 3B, all 27 or younger, I would definitely listen.

I'd suggest Tampa might be a team with the wherewithal to make a good match with the Brewers. Cliff Floyd, Johnny Gomes, and Eric Hinske were the primary DH's on that team this year after all. They probably could spare someone like Edwin Jackson from the major league roster and certainly have enough talent in the minor league system to make a deal feasible.

Toronto might also want to try something bold. When do the Twins open up their new stadium?

Robert

Still don't understand why people want Edwin Jackson. He had a mediocre minor league career, has below average strike out rate and a terrible walk rate, his GB% is ok but nothing special. He might be someone to target in a trade but certainly not as the center piece of a trade involving someone like Fielder.

I wouldn't want Jackson as a centerpiece of a deal, but he certainly has some value, albeit I think he was helped out by his defense this year. That said, he's still fairly young, has a plus arm, and has had success at the major league level in a tough division. You'd definitely want a lot more talent than him, though, maybe someone like Desmond Jennings or another top prospect.

Robert

The Brewers should work out a trade deal with Toronto that includes Overbay. I say that not because they seem like a good fit. I just think it would be funny. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

And any player is tradeable for the right package.

I definitely believe that Fielder can be had for the right price, but then again, I'm sure a guy like Ryan Braun could also be available for the right price (how about Fielder, Braun, and Hardy for Longoria, Pena, and Shields? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif). The problem with trading Fielder is that you're giving away your only regular left-handed bat, and you likely wouldn't have the payroll room to significantly replace that (especially if you assume that the only reason Fielder would be moved would be to clear room for a Sabathia signing).

Fielder would probably at least require a very good lefty bat coming back, wouldn't he? Maybe two?

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I don't think you'd need a good lefty bat in a Fielder trade, but they'd definitely have to add at least one in some way. I think the Rays make a lot of sense as a trade partner, but I don't think Fielder gets you one of Garza, Shields, Kazmir or Price in a one-for-one deal. I'd probably make the trade for any of them, but I don't think the Rays will give one up.

Still don't understand why people want Edwin Jackson. He had a mediocre minor league career, has below average strike out rate and a terrible walk rate, his GB% is ok but nothing special. He might be someone to target in a trade but certainly not as the center piece of a trade involving someone like Fielder.

Some people look at his actual stuff instead of his Strikeout and GB rates and see the potential the guy has. I wanted to trade Corey Hart for him so we can upgrade RF with a LH bat that increases our OBP that can maybe even bat leadoff. I viewed that as a good swap because I heard someone talk about a potential Edwin Jackson for Randy Wynn deal on another site and I thought how about Corey Hart instead of Randy Wynn.? I dont think as highly of Corey Hart as alot of the people do around here so Id rather trade him now while he has value even if it is selling low instead of seeing him going down the Bill Hall path and have him become untradeable.

@WiscoSportsNut

Here's the thing.. We HAVE to trade Prince either this offseason, this coming trade deadline, or next offseason. That's all there is to it.

The only way to decide when to trade him is to ask yourself this question.. Will he or won't he hit 40+ homeruns in 2009? If the answer is yes, then you wait. But if the answer is no, which i believe that it is, then you rid yourself of him RIGHT NOW!

If we do it now, we can save money to put towards CC. If we do it now, the loss of Sheets will actually be addition by subtraction due to the high quality young arm(s) we bring in. If we don't, CC is probably gone, we have crappy defense at first again, and Sheets leaving will actually be a negative.

Oh, and get rid of Weeks too. For crying out loud, i've never seen a guy drop so many balls because they hit him in the heel of the glove.. Hey Rickie, you catch with the webbing.. QUACK QUACK QUACK! now get lost!

The only way to decide when to trade him is to ask yourself this question.. Will he or won't he hit 40+ homeruns in 2009? If the answer is yes, then you wait. But if the answer is no, which i believe that it is, then you rid yourself of him RIGHT NOW!
Not even remotely true at all. If you are going to base it on HR's actually look at the 1B and DH numbers for HR's if you are going to base it off of that. Even if Fielder hits 35 HR's next year he will still have the same value he has this year. There is not a lot of players out there that are going to give you 35-40 HR's a year that are on the market. Dunn, Burrel, Giambi, Ramirez, Thome, and Teixeira are the players available this year.

Fielder will still have value next year. It is not a trade that has to happen right now. Fielder will put up 35-40 HR's next year and you will still get the same value as you get this year.

Oh, and get rid of Weeks too. For crying out loud, i've never seen a guy drop so many balls because they hit him in the heel of the glove.. Hey Rickie, you catch with the webbing.. QUACK QUACK QUACK! now get lost!

You should go read the Hardy v. Weeks thread. This type of silly comment is basically what prompted its creation.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Here's the thing.. We HAVE to trade Prince either this offseason, this coming trade deadline, or next offseason. That's all there is to it

Not really true at all. When a type A FA walks you get enough value for him that it isn't a big deal. The biggest difference is the value is 3-5 years away from helping your team instead of immediate.

I'm at a loss also to see the appeal of Jackson. He allows a ton of baserunners and doesn't strike out hitters at a good rate, what am i missing?

Not really true at all. When a type A FA walks you get enough value for him that it isn't a big deal. The biggest difference is the value is 3-5 years away from helping your team instead of immediate.

Yea draft picks are decent, but in baseball, the success rate of non-top 10 picks aren't that high. At least if you trade for a kid/kids who have shown something in the bigs or excelled in AAA/AA, you increase your odds of getting someone who will play in the majors for you and hopefully well. You're getting a free peek of that kid as he's already played and had success in both the low and high minors, unlike a kid you draft from high school or college that has yet to prove himself at any level in the minors. Plus, as an added benefit, you don't have to pay the first and second round bonus money since that was already paid by the team who drafted that player/players who is now in AAA or AA.

I would hope we are in the part of the franchise cycle where we trade our players for close to ready players that will help sooner rather than later instead of the part of the cycle where we would prefer draft picks. I really see no reason to trade Fielder until we have a competent back up in mind though. If Gamel was ready to play 1B at the start of 2009 or close to ready I would be aggressively shopping Fielder, but we are still trying to see if he will stick at 3B.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I would hope we are in the part of the franchise cycle where we trade our players for close to ready players that will help sooner rather than later instead of the part of the cycle where we would prefer draft picks.

I agree with that but it isn't a situation where we HAVE to trade Fielder. We would prefer to trade him but if we never find a good deal and he plays out his pre free agent years for us and walks it isn't the end of the world. Going into his last season I don't think we have to take whatever we are offered just to get rid of him or anything. The draft is a bit more of a crapshoot but it goes both ways, you could get players that are useless you could get players that are better than Fielder overall, you just never know.

I'm at a loss also to see the appeal of Jackson. He allows a ton of baserunners and doesn't strike out hitters at a good rate, what am i missing?

His fastball is so fast! Vroom vroom! I think it's that he throws hard, and is still relatively young. He's got upside! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I really see no reason to trade Fielder until we have a competent back up in mind though.

Agreed -- I think Gamel will either get called up mid-2009 or early 2010 (as a super-two candidate). If the Brewers aren't in the race by the trading deadline, and Gamel is deemed ready, Fielder could move then. But that's pretty much a 'best case' scenario regarding Gamel, and I'm not sure that I even want to see Fielder traded just yet. I think sometimes as fans we let the negatives cloud our perspectives a bit too much. Yes, it's maddeningly frustrating that Fielder struggles in the field, but the guy is a top-tier hitting talent even at 1B. There's simply not a good reason to trade him right now. Even with an arbitration salary around $7M, he's a good deal.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think the Brewers can afford Fielder for one more year, so why trade him if they can afford him? But he is by no means untouchable. He is a liability at 1B, his weight is going to become more and more of an issue as the years pass, and his trade value is going to be at an all time high for the Brewers for one more year.

For the long term health of the team I do not think it is a bad idea to move him though. They could get a similar haul to what the Marlins got for dealing Cabrera to the Tigers, and there is nothing wrong with a top 10 prospect and two other guys who can help out soon. Or, they could try and swing a deal for a comparative player, who is as close to FA as Prince is and improve a different area of the team.

My top candidates for a deal like the latter could be to the Tigers straight up for Curtis Granderson or to the Indians for Grady Sizemore.

A prospect/young player type of deal that might be very nice could be to the Dodgers for Loney and Broxton straight up. There are a whole myriad of possibilities....Fielder to Atlanta for Kotchman and Jordan Schafer, or Arizona for Conor Jackson (the ladies would love that) and Max Scherzer, to the Red Sox for Jacoby Ellsbury, Clay Bucholz and Daniel Bard as well as another prospect, Yankees for Ian Kennedy, Melky Cabrera and Justin Jackson.....thats just to name a few...any of those deals would hurt the Brewers short term but 2 years from now would be better than they were this year, and for many more years into the future.

I don't see a reason to have to trade Fielder now. His price the next few years won't be that bad. I do worry about his weight and if he doesn't control that IMO his value might be higher right now than next year. It's hard to predict. We don't have to trade him by any means, but if the Brewers thing his weight will get worse they almost have to make a move if the right offer is on the table.

I think the Brewers can afford Fielder for one more year, so why trade him if they can afford him?

The possibility of getting more production per dollar in a trade is why. Fielder's defense is so bad that his net worth really isn't all that special. The Brewers may not find a decent trade offer but just because they can afford him doesn't mean they shouldn't take a look.

Archived