Brewer Fanatic

How many millions has Fielder cost himself in the last month?

JohnBriggs12
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like he just fouled the ball off to the third base side and he is just finishing his swing.
That's what I thought as well. If that's the case, then the J/S caption on the bottom of the picture is pretty funny.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah I think that's reflection from the crowd. I think it's too small for a baseball.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 1 month later...

I saw this via the managerial discussion on TH's blog. Brewers will listen to offers for Fielder:

"Oct. 26, 2008 | Philadelphia - Brewers general manager Doug Melvin never talks about players on his team that he is willing to trade but I've heard whispers around the club for some time that he'd be willing to listen to offers this winter for first baseman Prince Fielder.

According to the New York Post, the Brewers have put out word to other clubs that they would listen to offers for Fielder for a "substantial package." The Post cites an "industry source" which probably means someone with the Yankees because the story goes on to explain why that club would not be interested in trading for Fielder.

Here's link to that story:

http://www.nypost.com/sev...eal_of_fielder_135325.htm

This story makes sense for several reasons:

1. Fielder is going to get a huge pay raise this winter in his first year of arbitration, from a salary of $670,000 to perhaps $6 million to $8 million. His agent is Scott Boras, a tough negotiator, and Fielder already turned down a five-year, $60 million offer earlier this year from the Brewers.

2. Fielder's offensive numbers dipped in 2008 but it was his regression in the field that really worried club officials. He committed 17 errors, second-most among NL first baseman.

3. Fielder's weight was noticeably up this year from 2007, another source of concern among club officials.

4. The Brewers probably will have to find replacements for starting pitchers CC Sabathia and Ben Sheets, who are expected to leave through free agency. To get a top-notch starting pitcher these days, you have to give up a lot.

This does not mean the Brewers are going to trade Fielder. He is one of their top hitters and their only real left-handed threat in a predominantly right-handed lineup. It just means they would listen to offers. You've got to listen to offers for just about anybody, especially for the reasons listed above.

It'll be interesting to see if there are any substantial talks involving Fielder this winter or if it only gets to the "listening" stage."

Personally, I'm of the belief that the Brewers will get some offers but wind up not moving Prince this offseason, and that the eventual Fielder trade will come another year or two down the line. Not sure when I'd want it to happen, but I just don't think that right now is the time to get the best possible return on Prince.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

fondybrewfan wrote:

There is probably a very limited number of AL teams who are in need of a DH so I can't imagine there will be much of a bidding war if any.

I would include the teams that may need a first baseman for the next year or two as well. While he is not good in the field by any stretch of the imagination he would be a viable option for another year or two...IMO. That said...GOOD RIDDANCE Prince. Grow up and play ball!!
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

I don't think that teams would view Fielder as a strict DH, although they probably should. For that very reason, Prince is a prime candidate for getting good value in a trade. Throw in his 50 HRs and the fact he won't be cheep next year and it's almost a no brainer.

The problem is that there is no good option to replace him in 2009. If you can find a league average defensive 1B, he won't have to hit as well as Prince but I don't think anyone that the Brewers currently have would work. Gamel's projections suggest that he's at least a year away and there's really no one else. Branyan?

And could we, for once, have an intelligent conversation about Prince's future, void of personal attacks?

And could we, for once, have an intelligent conversation about Prince's future, void of personal attacks?
Nope, not really. If he wasn't such a jerk I would leave that part out of my posts. Comparison: Would you trade for Milton Bradley without discussing his attitude/behavior?

Nope, not really. If he wasn't such a jerk I would leave that part out of my posts. Comparison: Would you trade for Milton Bradley without discussing his attitude/behavior?
He's a jerk? Really? I hadn't heard that. I've certainly heard about his issues with his dad (which is no one's business anyway), and he's been quoted as complaining about his contract a bit...then there was the one incident with Manny Parra.

If stuff like that qualifies him as a jerk, then quite a few baseball players are "jerks." Maybe we can field an entire team of David Eckstein type "good guys", though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Invader3K[/b]]
rluzinski[/b]]And could we, for once, have an intelligent conversation about Prince's future, void of personal attacks?
He's a jerk? Really? I hadn't heard that. I've certainly heard about his issues with his dad (which is no one's business anyway), and he's been quoted as complaining about his contract a bit...then there was the one incident with Manny Parra.

If stuff like that qualifies him as a jerk, then quite a few baseball players are "jerks." Maybe we can field an entire team of David Eckstein type "good guys", though.

Assaulting your teammate in the full view of the public where there are countless children watching makes you a jerk. Pouting noticeably in the field during a game that that you are losing makes you a jerk. Acting like an immature, coddled child and throwing tantrums when you strike out makes you a jerk.

I don't think Prince's actions have affected his trade value at all. If he has another physical altercation, I will change my opinion very quicly but all the other stuff fans have criticised him for (contract status, attitude towards his father, etc....) is pretty darn mild, IMO.

If you personally would like to see him traded because you don't like him, great. But because of my above opinion, I just don't find it very relevant to this discussion. Seems like a generic vent to me.

Unless we can get an amazing package for him I see no reason why we should trade Fielder now. We have no other viable left handed power bats in the lineup and trading Prince would really kill an already inconsistent offense. If we plan on contending again next season we are far better off with Prince. Now if we were offered a great deal we should probably do it but I see no reason to trade Fielder for anything less than a great deal.

Who's a great pitcher? Shields? Because that's who he's roughly equal to.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Assaulting your teammate in the full view of the public where there are countless children watching makes you a jerk. Pouting noticeably in the field during a game that that you are losing makes you a jerk. Acting like an immature, coddled child and throwing tantrums when you strike out makes you a jerk.

"Won't someone PLEASE think of the children!"

Come on, really. This is professional sports. Emotions and testosterone are going to run high. He shoved Parra and they shouted at each other. It's not like he started punching him in the face. I'm not defending what Prince did, but to use it as a strong basis for trading the guy is a bit extreme, in my view. As far as throwing tantrums when striking out...half the guys in the league have probably sworn after striking out, or thrown a helmet, etc. Again, no reason to trade someone.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

endaround wrote:
Players need to show more emotion! Unless they refuse to sign a below market deal, then they are jerks if they show emotion!
Wow, I sure love being pigeon-holed into a category...thanks end. Nowhere did I mention contract. I just can't stand how athletes are given a free pass for their attitude/actions because they can hit the ball. Truthfully, he can only play have of the game at a major league level but he is given a free pass because he has hit 50 homers in a season. Heck, Mark McGwire has hit 70 homers in a season...but that doesn't mean that he will ever again...

Was it previously known that we offered him a 5 year $60M contract? That seems to be a pretty fair deal IMO.
That's the problem, it was fair. We're talking about Boras here, the primary reason this team is even considering trading him. With any other agent they'd be looking the other way on these side issues.

So now his bad defense is a character issue ? Braun must have been terrible person last year because he couldn't play defense!
Wow end, do you even read the posts before you fire off something negative? Get a clue...sheesh.

Archived