Brewer Fanatic

Longterm Effects of a Brewer Collapse

DougJones43
A little part of me looks forward to going to Weekday games with 12,000 fans in attendance and Saturday night games of 20k. It wont be so crowded.
This is the same reason that my favorite memories of the Brewers were at County Stadium in the late 1990's...I could have a whole section to myself. That being said I probably would prefer a winner to the horrible teams that we put out year after year.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really don't understand why anyone thinks this team isn't going to be awesome the next few years. They were really good before the acquired CC. Sheets might be back and if he isn't, it's 1 guy, albiet a big guy. But this team was doing fine without YoGa so that more or less makes up for it.

How so? Getting rid of Sheets and CC is a huge blow especially since YoGa is coming off a serious injury. I think they'll be competitive, but we'll see what other moves they can make IF CC and Sheets are gone. What is 'awesome'? If they lose CC and Sheets, I think it's safe to say they won't win as many games this year as next -- without knowing what moves are made.

If the Brewers don't make the playoffs and they don't fire Yost, I bet the attendance would be under 2 million, I do believe no one would pay attention to this team until the day they clinch a playoff spot.

Community Moderator
I almost wish they would fire Yost just so I don't have to listen to people say "Fire Yost" anymore. However, it will be replaced with "Fire Kremblas", then "Fire (insert manager here)" and so on, just like every other baseball team.

Invader3K[/b]]

If it does, the only remedy would be to fire the clowns responsible, Melvin, Yost, Gagne, etc.... I think if MA took a strong stand and "cleaned house" people would give the Brewers the benefit of the doubt.
I agree. Melvin and Yost would both have to be gone. This is basically the end of the "window of opportunity" set up by Doug Melvin & Co. If the team fails again this year, it's going to be really rough moving forward.
I agree that if the Brewers do fail to make the playoffs both Melvin and Yost have to go. With that being said what is everyones thinking on whether or not to give Jack Z. the GM job if Melvin does get fired. It keeps Jack Z. from being hired away. Just thinking out loud.

After all, I drove three hours to watch Ruben Quevado pitch against Bartolo Colon back in 2002.'

I feel ya, I drove down from Eau Claire for my birthday weekend to watch (I had to check B-R) Alan Levrault give up 4ER in 5IP then the next day Jamey Wright gave up 9ER in 5.2IP. I totally forgot about the masterful performance of Ronnie Belliard in the Sunday game.

IMO, anyone who doesn't renew their tickets after this year is a bandwagon fan. You do realize that if you do not renew your tickets, your seniority will end and when the Brewers are making the payoff push again (and it will be sooner rather than later) you will have the last priority. But I guess that will give you all another thread to whine and complain about. The Brewers will be a competitive team again next season. Melvin will make the necessary changes to stay competitive on the field. Will we reach 3 million again...probably not. But if we are in the division race again next season, there no reason why we couldn't get to 2.8 mil. again or higher. Winning bring in fans, whether they buy season tickets or not. Plus baseball in Milwaukee is fun again (even though it may not seem like it now). Weekend games are the place to to be in the summer (and if you don't believe me look at the attendance figures on weekends). Whatever happens this season, the offseason (player moves, Packers games, and the great NBA franchise we have) will make it better. If you really want to go back to 20k on a weekend game and have your own concession stand, please move to Pittsburgh because apparently your comfort at the stadium is more important that a packed house watching a winning baseball team!

There are plenty of Brewer bandwagon fans and there's nothing wrong with that, IMO. I'm not a big college football guy but I will watch the Badgers closely when they are doing well. When they are playing some Division 2 team for their second game of the year, I don't watch any of it. I watched the Bucks when they were good but haven't even checked the standings with regularity since. The more casual a fan you are, the better the team has to be to keep your interest.

I'm already preparing for the post-season press conferences with Yost and Melvin. After a collapse, I don't want to hear about "reaching all the goals except for making the playoffs". Or, "Any of the last 5 or 6 years this many wins would of been enough but not this year". Or, "We spent 93M and went for it and fell just short". Basically, I don't want to hear excuses. I would rather them just come out and tell it like is, similar to the Mets last year. We blew it, we're embarrassed, the bullpen was awful, point out the players that didn't come through, etc, etc. If they can fess up to their mistakes, I am more likely to continue my season tickets and be a big supporter. I just want to hear somebody in this organization to criticize somebody even if it's themselves. Yost hasn't done it all year and probably never will.

IMO, anyone who doesn't renew their tickets after this year is a bandwagon fan.
Now, wait a minute. I take offense at being called a bandwagon fan if I don't renew. I've had season tickets since 1994. I've supported this franchise through some of their worst years ever. I've thrown away thousands of dollars worth of tickets in Aprils and Augusts and Septembers when I could not even give my tickets away (this was before bf.net, of course). I have much more going on in my life now than I did 15 years ago and different priorities in what I expect from my season tickets -- I used to be just happy to have season tickets and go to as many games as possible, regardless of how bad the Brewers were. Now, while I still love baseball for the game it is, I want more than that -- I want playoff baseball. I don't get to as many games as I did before I had kids and a business to run. I've kept my tickets over the last 4-5 years with the hope that the new ownership, the young crop of players, and the baseball management would get us to the playoffs. However, if they collapse again this year, I will have serious doubts about that happening in the next couple years, and I am not interested in investing tens of thousands of more dollars to find out if I'm right or wrong. At that point, I will want actual results before I again become a season ticket holder.

All that being said, here's hoping they stop this current slide, maintain the wild card lead and this entire discussion becomes moot.

This team is doing the expected. Young hitters are tired and folding under pressure. The bullpen is simply bad. They stole a lot of games in the middle of the season, and now that's balancing out. The long-term effect is Braun and Fielder gain valuable experience, Melvin realizes he needs to spend a lot more time on the bullpen and everyone sees Weeks and Hall are not viable big league starters. I like this team next year, and will definitely support them. Hopefully they make the needed changes in the offseason to play a full season.

Archived