Brewer Fanatic

5/28/06 Brewers (Eveland) @ Phillies (Madson)

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Or... I'll take my 2 starting pitchers with 7 ERA's... and hold down the fort for 2 months of the season till my injured pitchers come back.

So what are you saying the Brewers should do right now? Go with a 3 man pitching staff?

Well now we are talking a non-hypothetical here. The point is a 7+ era or worse consistently for a starting pitcher isn't decent like you were arguing.

What should the brewers do now? Gonzalez should get the next start. Eveland sent down to get the more AAA work that he needs.

Quote:
Well, what would you suggest the Brewers do? They have three starters out indefinitely. There's nobody good left to pitch. There aren't many (if any) teams that go eight or nine deep in decent starting pitchers.

Agreed its not an easy situation. Gonzalez, Sarfate, Jackson. Eveland isn't getting the job done. Try someone else. I think any of the 3 previous mentioned pitcher could put an era of around 8 too.

Very snipey here today. You can tell we lost. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

On a good note, this was only our 8th game this year that we scored less than 3 runs.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I think Dana looked ok today...i'm not ready to pull him...the brewers weren't out of it when he came out...and he could've pitched the 6th, except a pinch hitter was needed there..

I think next time Dana will pitch 6 innings with 2 ER...it won't be great...but he's been ok...

Quote:
Agreed its not an easy situation. Gonzalez, Sarfate, Jackson. Eveland isn't getting the job done. Try someone else. I think any of the 3 previous mentioned pitcher could put an era of around 8 too.

But we need 2 starters. I've wanted Jorge to get a start for quite a while, but who knows what he will do.

I disagree with Gonzalez getting the next start. The Brewers DESPERATELY need a long guy in the bullpen. And I don't believe Sarfate, Jackson, or Eveland should be sent to the pen because they need consistant work, so I'd keep Gonzalez in the pen.

So you have Jorge, Sarfate, Jackson, and Eveland for the 4th and 5th spots in the rotation. I don't believe Jackson is ready yet. I believe he needs to stay in AAA the whole year. There isn't any sense to rushing 2 pitchers(Eveland and Jackson), so I'd drop Jackson from that list. I believe Jorge should get every opportunity to succeed as a starter. So for the 4th spot, i'd say it's between Eveland and Sarfate. Eveland has been here for a while and knows what's going on. He just needs to learn how to trust his stuff to believe that he can throw it over the plate. And making his first four starts against the Reds, Phillies(twice), and Mets can't help him want to throw it over the plate. A start this week against the Nationals might be just what the doctor ordered for him. If he struggles in that start, that's when I'd think about giving Sarfate an opportunity.

Quote:
But we need 2 starters. I've wanted Jorge to get a start for quite a while, but who knows what he will do.

Yes this is based on jdlr doing a acceptable job as a started. If he fails, then the brewers are in even more trouble.

Quote:
I disagree with Gonzalez getting the next start. The Brewers DESPERATELY need a long guy in the bullpen. And I don't believe Sarfate, Jackson, or Eveland should be sent to the pen because they need consistant work, so I'd keep Gonzalez in the pen.

Why do they desperately need a long man? The crew has 7 guys in the bullpen. Winkelsas, Mabeus, and whoever they bring up to replace eveland can all eat up innings if needed.

Quote:
I don't believe Jackson is ready yet. I believe he needs to stay in AAA the whole year.

And why don't you think that about eveland?

Quote:
A start this week against the Nationals might be just what the doctor ordered for him. If he struggles in that start, that's when I'd think about giving Sarfate an opportunity.

So he has to struggle in 5 straight starts before we pull the plug? This isn't let the guys figure it out time anymore. This team is trying to be in a pennant race in september.

Its not like he's just getting hit. He struggles to find the zone in all of his starts. That's my biggest issue.

I still think Eveland should continue to start. Unlike Hendrickson, he's shown flashes. He looked good in the Cinci game for a while. He was able to get out of trouble a couple times today. The end results haven't been there. I agree, I really think he can turn in a complete effort against the Nats. Along with Jorge's start on Tuesday, I'll be looking forward to seeing what Eveland can do.

Eh, you can't win 'em all.

Considering the alternatives, I'm in the "don't pull Eveland quite yet camp," but his performance today was shaky, though he was bailed out a few times.

If we can take 3 of 4 in Pittsburgh (not an easy task at all), it would be huge going home to face the Nats and the Pads.

I just hope people aren't getting it into their heads that pittsburgh is going to be this safe haven and that the pirates are going to just lie down and bay is going to stop crushing the ball. I still think splitting the series in pittsburgh is a monumental way to end this road trip, but the consensus here seems to be dissapointment with anything less than 3 wins.

Quote:
Why do they desperately need a long man? The crew has 7 guys in the bullpen. Winkelsas, Mabeus, and whoever they bring up to replace eveland can all eat up innings if needed.

Ummmm... don't you remember last week in Cincinnati where our bullpen was out of gas?! We had 7 pitchers out there then, so what's the difference between then and now? We don't have a great 3rd, 4th, or 5th starter, so you need a guy that can come in and pitch when one of these guys struggles. We have guys that can pitch an inning or 2, but nobody that can go 4-5 innings if needed.

Quote:
And why don't you think that about eveland?

I do think that about Eveland, but he's our best option right now. He should have been in AAA all year, but because of injuries he's been forced into a hard situation. Why bring up Jackson and most likely start over where Eveland started a couple weeks ago?

Quote:
So he has to struggle in 5 straight starts before we pull the plug? This isn't let the guys figure it out time anymore. This team is trying to be in a pennant race in september.

So... lets see... Doug Davis leads the league in walks and has had 5 crappy starts. Let's send him to AAA. This IS a time to let a guy figure it out, because we have injuries. Yes, this team is trying to be in the pennant race in September... but right now we have 3 injured pitchers. And hey... we are 2 games over .500 with 2 of our top 4 pitchers on the DL. We may need Eveland in September... so wouldn't it be better to get the wrinkles of pitching to MLB hitters out now instead of waiting till September?

Quote:
Its not like he's just getting hit. He struggles to find the zone in all of his starts. That's my biggest issue.

In the minor leagues Eveland has had K:BB of: 4.71 in AAA, 2.58 in AA, 4.87 in A, and 5.12 in R. So you think maybe his struggles to find the strike zone could have something to do with the teams he's played? Not wanting to throw the ball over the heart of the plate and get it crushed? He's proven he can throw the ball over the plate, so what is sending him back to AAA going to prove? And that's the reason he's getting hit hard. He's falling behind because he's trying to be too precise on his location and over throwing.

If careers were made on 4 starts... wow, I don't know where we would be.

I know today was frustrating but everyone knows on monday if it was said we could split the 6 games this week between philly and cincy we would take it. Now as was said before if we can take 3 out of 4 in pittsburgh we are in business. Atleast they seam to be playing better on the road than they have in the past.

Archived