Brewer Fanatic

2008's 37th Pick the First to the Majors

By Chris Haft / MLB.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- The Giants accelerated their youth movement toward warp speed Saturday by purchasing the contract of third baseman Conor Gillaspie, who has all of 24 games of professional experience.

Gillaspie, a left-handed batter, was the 37th overall selection in this year's First-Year Player Draft and is the Draft's first player to reach the Majors.

Bobby Evans, the Giants' director of player personnel, explained Gillaspie's promotion by citing his offensive potential and the team's void at third base, where no certain regular is penciled in for 2009.

"We know it's a big adjustment," Evans said. "Just getting his feet wet is a big help for us, especially as we see him as a guy who needs to be on the fast track."

Manager Bruce Bochy said that Gillaspie wouldn't start a game immediately but might be available sooner for pinch-hitting. The 21-year-old spent the previous few weeks batting a combined .269 with no home runs and 15 RBIs for the Giants' Rookie-level Arizona League affiliate and short-season Salem-Keizer, so playing in the Majors would be an ambitious leap.

"We want him to get settled in and give our staff a chance to work with him," Bochy said.

Gillaspie, an All-America selection this year at Wichita State, seemed relatively unfazed by the whirlwind he had experienced.

"When my name's called, I'm going to do it the way I've done it my whole life," he said.

Yeah, that's dumb. I'm pretty surprised by that move. I don't care if the team has an unsettled problem at 3B, and I don't care that Gillaspie is relatively polished as a hitter. At least when Ryan Zimmerman did this he tore up the minors and was already a Gold Glove caliber 3B. Gillaspie has some issues on D' and obviously didn't enjoy anywhere near the success, and I haven't even touched the financial aspect of it.

I think this is another sign about how desparate the Giants are for bats.

Archived