Brewer Fanatic

Trip to Helena, Montana ... to see some prospects!

nodakfan17

Hey Brewer Fans, I'm currently attending grad school in close proximity to Helena, Montana. Naturally, the thought has crossed my mind more than once that I should make a trip out to Kindrick Field to catch some rookie league action. With the possibility of the Brewers having as many as 5 first round draft picks next June, I have started putting a few bucks aside for the trip next summer. If anyone has made this trip before (or can provide some insight), I'd definitely appreciate a little input ...

- Do we know for certain that the Brewers will be affiliated with the Helena rookie league club next summer?

- Are there any sights to see near Helena that could fill the time between games?

- Is it better to catch a weekend series in June or August? I understand that some of the top prospects may not have signed yet in June, but they could also be in low A by August.

- Do we know for certain that the Brewers will be affiliated with the Helena rookie league club next summer?
They will be. I'd try July if at all possible. Most of the top prospects should be signed and still be there. If not, I'd take a gamble on August over June.

No suggestions on the area since I've never been near there (although I know there are some beautiful national parks in that area), but make sure you let the Helena staff know if you go. I know they have expressed interest in meeting Brewerfan.net folks in the past, and their radio announcer (Steve Wendt) seems like a pretty cool guy.

Depending on where Lawrie debuts, you might have a chance to see him in Helena since the Brewers typically are a little more conservative with their initial placements (especially if they intend to groom him as a catcher).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I was considering making that trip next summer as well - Montana and Idaho and two states I've never visited. We'll have to make sure to bump this thread in about 9 months.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived