Brewer Fanatic

The Gagne Era Should End

JJHardy7

This isn't an in-game thing or anything like that since I've wanted to post this for awhile. Eric Gagne should not pitch another game for the Brewers and I don't care how much he makes this year. He's clearly shown he is not in the same league as an average of relief pitcher and he can't maintain any consistency. I make this point more so now since there have been players called up that IMO I'd much rather have then him. I'm sick of the early season thoughts that he got squeezed, than was injured, was good, and now is bad. He was a pretty bad signing at the time and I'm sick of the Brewers seemingly trying to prove the signing. If we do miss the playoffs for a few games (I sure hope we don't), Gagne should be on the top of the list as reasons why. I'd almost rather see Mota in place of Gagne. I don't get what Ned and the Brewers are trying to 'prove' and I've been behind Yost most of the year. This Gagne plague has to stop. He's not that good and if we make the playoffs the last thing I want to see on the roster is Gagne -- leave it blank so he can't be used. This might be a rant, but I haven't seen a Gagne thread lately so this is mine. Gagne should not pitch another game unless there is a large window. $10 million sunk...so let's cut our costs and have Mr. Gagne rake the infield or paint the lines for his pay...kidding on that part of course.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tonight, I said to my wife after giving up the double: "I wonder what is going through his mind." Think about it: he was one of the most dominant closers ever. He gets injured, then just sucks. In his defense, it has to be tough. I really wanted him to turn it around, but I can't see him being on the team anymore.

Do you put him on the post-season roster (if they even make it to the post-season)?

He really buckled down tonight....after serving up a HR and a double down the line. I have to say I would have rather seen it go CC to Torres, but he was the next best option for the eighth after Carlos pitched last night. Also, as evidenced by the Red Sox run last year, even when he's no good, he's still a good luck charm.

If we do make the playoffs which is a big if I hope they don't include him on the roster. He continues to be the 8th inning guy and he has been terrible its too bad we don't really have any options although Mota has been better lately.

I don't know about never pitching for the Brewers but he at the very least should be behind Torres, Shouse and CV on the totem pole and probably behind Mota as well at this point.
I agree that the pecking order should be Torres, Shouse(vs lefties only,)Villy, Mota/Gagne but to be honest I really don't feel to comfortable with any of those guys.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

My biggest issue with continuing to pitch Gagne is he's never really shown any glimmer of hope all season that something is there to grasp that he'll get any better. Even when Mota was terrible before rebounding lately, he looked good for awhile.

Gagne has stunk pretty much from the start and has stayed bad. Ned would see Gagne have a few outings without giving up a run and thus assume "he's turning it around", when all it really was is simple odds, any big league relief pitcher who pitches enough will have some innings without giving up a run.

His ERA for the most part has been above 6 all year because he simply no longer is an effective big league pitcher, just cut your losses, the money is already spent. Don't leave him on the roster where Ned can see a Gagne throw 1-2 scoreless outings and then proclaim Gagne is "fixed" and ready to again pitch in close games.

AS ILuv pointed out, he deserves a lot of credit for not giving up the lead. Really gotta give Giles credit, the pitch he hit out was low and in...lefties often like it there, but it was not even a strike.

AS Torres says, it's one thing to let the opponent tie it, it's another to fall behind.

If we make the playoffs and Ned brings Gagne in to a tight game, I'm going to throw heavy things across the room

Am I the only one here who is certain that will happen? Gagne is Ned's guy and that won't change until Gagne takes himself out the role himself or until the season is finished.

when all it really was is simple odds, any big league relief pitcher who pitches enough will have some innings without giving up a run.

So true. Look at his outing on Tuesday night. The Mets torched Gagne. Fortunately for him, they hit them right at our outfielders. Has his proclivity for surrendering HRs completely escaped Ned?

Community Moderator
I was embarrassed to be a Brewers fan for a while there tonight. I don't care how bad Gagne has been, it is unnecessary to boo him when he comes into the game before he hasn't even done anything wrong. After the HR I understand, but I'm sure that booing contributed to Gagne blowing up when he came in. He even got booed after the strikeout--and Maddux got booed for not taking him out, even though the pitcher warming up in the bullpen hadn't gotten more than about 5 throws in. I completely agree that he is a disaster and a waste of money, but tonight was upsetting. Considering this is the same city that booed a player during introductions on Opening Day, I'm not really surprised.

I was embarrassed to be a Brewers fan for a while there tonight. I don't care how bad Gagne has been, it is unnecessary to boo him when he comes into the game before he hasn't even done anything wrong. After the HR I understand, but I'm sure that booing contributed to Gagne blowing up when he came in. He even got booed after the strikeout--and Maddux got booed for not taking him out, even though the pitcher warming up in the bullpen hadn't gotten more than about 5 throws in. I completely agree that he is a disaster and a waste of money, but tonight was upsetting. Considering this is the same city that booed a player during introductions on Opening Day, I'm not really surprised.
I agree, booing a guy is out of line (unless they aren't giving it their all) and something Milwaukee "fans" do a lot. We seriously have some of the worst fans in baseball and its hard for me to say that because I want to love them all. We do waves at stupid times, don't pay attention to the game, are impossible to make cheer and get loud without a sign telling them to, are generally not knowledgeable about the game and boo players like this team is having its dynasty tarnished or something.

Now, people here I'm probably not talking about. And I have sympathy because this team was so and you couldn't expect a lot of people to really watch and have been into baseball for years.

But our fans are pretty much garbage, lets admit facts.

Honestly, there's a reason you never here players refer to the fans here "as the greatest fans in the world" and you get a general feeling of resentment. We don't chant much, we hardly cheer unless its an obvious situation, but we sure do like to boo guys!

...but we sure do like to boo guys!
Sorry for going off-topic, but I just wanted to share a good Milwaukee booing memory. This was from about 3 or 4 years ago. The Brewers were losing like 9-1 or something, and after returning from a commercial break, the camera was showing a closeup of a guy with a mask on like this:

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:0VZU7XkvVt6rSM:http://www.halloweenstreet.com/images/product/181.jpg

Daron and Bill were trying to keep the mood positive and fun, even though the team was sucking. The mask just looks fun and silly, and the announcers were talking about how he was a great fan still having a good time. All of the sudden, the guy leans forward and lets out the loudest BOOOOOOO I've ever heard. Then there was silence. It was hilarious. Booing (especially a loud obnoxious boo from just one person) is pure comedy in my book. I guess I'm crazy.

Anyway, back to Gagne. Yeah, he stinks. I think he should be used for mop-up duty. It's been pretty clear for nearly the whole season that's the only role he can be trusted with. Yet here we are in September, and he's pitching in the setup role.

While Frenchy has been an enormous bust, I still think it's obvious that he isn't the primary culprit in why this has become such a big problem. The funny thing about bad players is, they can only be as detrimental to the team as you allow them to be...

I vote for DFA. It costs the Brewers almost nothing at this point. Most of the $10 million is already spent. Dillard and Stetter should also be in the pecking order ahead of Gagne. (and possibly Rottino and Nelson).

Archived