Brewer Fanatic

CC and his next scheduled start

Brewcrewin07

After tonight, CC will be scheduled to pitch the finale against Cincy on Wednesday. My question is why? This means he misses the entire Philadelphia series(way more important than the Cincy series), but starts the first game against the Cubs. If I am Ned(and thank god I'm not), I'd push CC back one day after his start tonight, therefore meaning he'd pitch the first game against Philly followed by Sheeter. You could get two "W's" in that series starting out then and anything after that is gravy. This would also allow him and Bennie to throw in the Cubs series as well.

Seems like sound logic to me doesn't it? Especially if they have won the first two against Cincy. Give McClung a spot start on that Wednesday or something. All I know is I absolutely want CC pitching in that Philly series, especially with their LH bats.

Edit: Eliminated unnecessary punctuation. - Toby

Yeah, by Wednesday/Thursday the scenario could look a lot different. You could also choose to look at it this way: Nothing is a guaranteed win, but CC against the Reds is more likely to be a win than CC against the Phillies.

CC against the Reds is more likely to be a win than CC against the Phillies.

Yep.

I don't know how anyone on this board can be content to play for the wild card right now... The Cubs are failing and their pitching injuries haven't even had a chance to take effect yet! Play for the division and if we don't catch them then we settle for the wild card.

If you are going to change the rotation at all, the only thing you can really do or should really consider doing is to move Sabathia back one day to start the series off against the Phillies. In the short-term, that sounds great. But check out the domino effect that this has on the rest of the season:

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp313/sfinman/Brewsched.jpg

You'll notice that with "Option B", Sabathia pitches 3 times on 5 days rest. This includes that game against the Phillies. While he could use the rest, it doesn't necessarily mean he will pitch better. I seem to remember him saying that he felt rusty after a game where he pitched on five days rest. With "Option A", he pitches on 5 days rest twice.

Also, "Option A" gives CC two starts against the Cubs while "Option B" only gives him 1.

Lastly, check out the potential playoff matchup differences. With "Option A" you have Suppan, Sabathia, and Sheets to start the series on a full four days of rest per pitcher. If you want to get crazy you could even start it off with CC and Ben on 3 days a piece. But with "Option B" you'd have to put them all on 3 days rest just to avoid Bush starting off the series.

For me, the clear winner is "Option A" and it isn't even close.

Nice chart Steve, Option A looks like the clear choice.

Option A gives maximum opportunity in the NL Central. I'm VERY thankful our rotation, unlike others (ahem...Cubs), isn't bedraggled entering the stretch run.

Video scouting is useful, but Option A has the added benefit that Mets-OR-Phillies batters must wait until Playoffs to face CC's live pitching for the very first time.

Also, "Option A" gives CC two starts against the Cubs while "Option B" only gives him 1.

Nice chart. I think you mean "Option B" gives Sheets 1 start instead of 2. CC would still pitch in 2 Cubs games (9/17 & 9/28), but Sheets would lose one start against them.

As far as starting McClung now, I think that's a bad idea. Unless he's had some simulated starts his arm is nowhere near ready to be a starter and the absolute best you could hope for is 5 innings and that might be a stretch.

Brewers need wins. Giving CC fewer starts (if games are rained out later) is not a way to get more W's.

Exactly. Don't try to get cute putting together the most ideal matchups. Just try to win as many games as possible with your best players on the field.

I talked about this last night with a buddy of mine, but as of right now, CC will pitch the last game of the season against the Cubs the way the schedule/rotation stacks up right now, meaning he gets more starts than anyone else (at least since he was acquired).

And that could mean Sheets is working on a day or two of extra rest come playoff time.

I'm with you guys on the split theory when it comes to Philly. I'd be extremely happy if we could do that.. but for some reason i just keep seeing Burrell terrorizing us..

Anyway, i like the idea of Suppan starting the first game of the playoffs for us. That's why he's here.

CC is now listed on Brewers.com to be pitching on both the last game of the Cincy series as well as the first game of the Phillies series.

Obviously he won't pitch in both, but it looks like they may indeed push him back into that series.

EDIT: I realize it also may not mean anything.

Well, he COULD start the first playoff game but he'd be pitching on 6 days rest. I just don't even see that as a situation that Ned would allow himself to get into.

Here's another question... given the way Parra has pitched lately and given the fact that he has less experience than Bush and Suppan, is Manny the odd man out should we go to a four man rotation in the playoffs? I say yes.

Wait.. There is an "Option C"

http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp313/sfinman/optionc-1.jpg

CC is moved back one day to start against Philly and then instead of pitching on 5 days rest again on 9/17, you skip Suppan on 9/16 and you are now back to the regular schedule. This is a hybrid of Option A and Option B and it gives you exactly what was good about each of them. The only two negatives here are: A. The "Spot Starter" and B. Suppan would pitch on 10 days rest at one point. Maybe good, maybe bad.. But I like it better than Option B. Also, Suppan could make a couple bullpen appearances while he's waiting to start again. I'll take him over Gagne any time.

I apologize if I'm repetitive Steve, but the image isn't coming up on my screen.

It seems there are two choices. 1) Go with the current rotation: This gives CC & Sheets 4 starts each including 2 each against the Cubs, but has CC missing the Phils series. 2) Throw McClung Wednesday and have either Parra, Bush or Suppan skip a start in Philly. This puts CC in the first game of the Phillies series and preserves CC & Sheets starting 4 each. The rest should be ok since CC & Sheets would get one extra day before the Phils and would be back on 5 days after the off day. For both options, I like having CC & Sheets in the last two games since they can either start with a lot on the line or slip to Game 1 & 2 if we make it.

My vote is the second option. I would probably skip Parra for a start, he may be getting gassed anyway. He could be available for a 2-4 inning stint behind either Bush and Suppan in Philly.

The difference between going 0-4/1-3 in Philly and 1-3/2-2 is huge. I'd let CC slip to Philly.

Archived