Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Mike Lamb, Lou Palmisano DFA'd

I didn't realize it but the Brewers can keep him through next year at the minimum with the Twins liable for his contract. As he's only 1 year removed from back to back .800+ OPS seasons with Houston, I think this could be a good pickup. It accomplishes several things besides adding a much needed lefty bat.

It basically eliminates a need to pickup Counsell's option. Now Counsell might still make a decent backup in the middle infield, but he's not worth $3 million. It also allows Gamel up to a year at AAA which after he struggled in the 2nd half, he might need both offensively and defensively.

Early in his career, Lamb, fittingly enough, was a butcher in the field but he progressed to adequate. If he returns to his 06-07 offensive form, he's a nice addition.

As for Palmisano, he got passed up by half the catchers in the organization in one season: Salome, LuCroy, Fryer, and I'd even throw in Corporan who had a decent season too.

Is this thing official yet?
It is, TH has it up on the Brewers blog and ESPN has picked it up.

I don't think Lamb can be any worse than any member of our current 3B platoon or any late game PH option.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

If a healthy (enough) Branyan can come back for any potential postseason, I think the Brewers would be thrilled.
You'd think so, but considering the way Ned used him in the weeks up to his injury, I'd almost say it's more likely that Yost is hoping he needs another month before he's ready.

wait, why would the Brewers keep Lamb next season when they have Branyan for the role of lefty power hitter off the bench? Branyan is simply a better player than Lamb. I'll be very disappointed if that's the plan. If only Russ had come up with Texas, his future would be assured.

edit: btw, Lamb is assuredly a butcher at 3rd but he doesn't have the bat for 1st, LF or RF. He's like a lefty Wes Helms, though more error prone.

You'd think so, but considering the way Ned used him in the weeks up to his injury, I'd almost say it's more likely that Yost is hoping he needs another month before he's ready.

It's hard to say 100% if Branyan's injury was nagging or he didn't let the team know in regards to how he was used. If Branyan was 100% healthy, he wasn't used right, but I'd hope that it's possible this injury was lingering and eventually the Brewers decided he wasn't getting better.

Lamb is one of the few players in baseball that I would play Counsell ahead of. He was beyond atrocious with the Twins this year, probably the worst position player who saw significant playing time in the A.L. Isn't Morgan Ensberg out there at least? A lot of people on this board were high on him this past off season.

Archived