Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Mike Lamb, Lou Palmisano DFA'd

Lamb was a very useful player until his horrific 2008 so far. Not sure if his age (33) has just caught up with him ultra-suddenly, or what his problem has been this year.

It should be interesting to see if he gets some starts at 3B, as this could be a sign that the team is really unhappy with it's thirdbase situation right now.

Does this mean that Russell isn't expected to come back?

There have been rumblings that his injury is fairly severe.

I don't think it's a 3rd base problem so much as with Fielder not hitting, they are getting nothing from the left side of the plate. I think they've needed to take some pressure off of Fielder for some time. Stairs would have been a better option offensively but Lamb is a guy at least capable of a hot streak and who knows the NL. That he plays 3B is a plus.

ok, here is how Tom Haudicourt explained it to me. If any player is on the DL on September 1st is eligible to be on the playoff roster. If come playoff time the Brewers have 3 current DL spots (which they still do) then the Brewers can select upto 3 players from the entire organization to take those spots, thus being eligible to play in the playoffs. The one thing I am not sure of is if the player isn't in the organization August 31 if that doesn't make him eligible.

On the topic of Lamb, it is a good move because nobody can be worse then the 2 headed turd we are starting there now.

While he hasn't hit very well in recent years, he has always been much better vs. RHPs as a LH hitter, which would seem to fill the void at 3B in a platoon situation since Branyan went down. Having a proven, "professional" type hitter like Lamb come off the bench certainly doesn't seem like a bad thing, and of course Melvin has had some reclammation-project type success with former Rangers.

This seems to show that they don't think Gamel is ready. I mean, I'm not saying they should think he's ready, just that he doesn't figure to get any PT down the stretch.

It's a shame Russ is hurt, he's a heck of a lot better than Lamb. Lamb is a butcher at 3rd, but you can't expect too much when you sign a guy in September. Hopefully he'll at least hit for a couple weeks (although his season numbers are horrible and his career numbers are below average, a guy could get hot). It seems a little weird to hope that a guy who has hit .233 with 1 home run in 260 PAs this year will get hot, but at least Melvin gets to add another ex-Ranger.

Lamb's previous two years at Houston are representative of the type of hitter the Brewers sorely need. Average in the 280's very good on base pct, slugging in the .450's. It wasn't all due to MinuteMaid park either. He was however, terrible at the Metrodome this year. Not sure why; statistical anamoly most likely. On the road in the AL he was closer to his career numbers.

What's not to like about this? Stick him between Hart and Cameron and the Brewers score a couple extra runs in their last 22 games.

Archived