Brewer Fanatic

6.1.06 Brewers (Bush) @ Pirates (Maholm) 11:35 AM CST

brewers19
  • Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ryan Doumit is an agent of the devil.

Actually, you could make that case for any if not all of the scurvy Pirates.

And JK Hernandez helping to turn the screws? Pass the barf bag.

All that said, a part of me is relieved it wasn't another blowout. Sure, that's rationalization, but some days that's what helps keep the head on.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Okay, lets take the blame game even further.

Doug Melvin blew it.

Yost could not counter the Pirates bringing in the lefty to face Koskie with the key insurance run sitting at 2nd base because he has 13 pitchers on his roster instead of an extra right handed bat like a Mike Rivera who would have allowed him to go to Damien Miller without jeopardizing the catcher position.

As I think about it, Yost still should have countered with Miller and taken his chances.

So, yes Yost blew it.

Um...Turnbow blew this game, hence the blown save. To try to blame Yost for having Turnbow pitch to Castillo etc. is just stupid. Place the blame where it belongs, on Turnbow.

These kind of things will happen, sure its frustrating to get swept in a four game series, but you just have to take it in stride, remember its only the first of June and hope for a few series wins. If that happens we'll be right back where we want to be.

Here's where we temporarily prune BF.net of all its excess bandwagoners.

At least the bandwidth cost should go down a little this month(?).

Before the year, i figured this would be a learning year with Prince adjusting to the majors. He has done well, the hitting is fine. But when you take out Sheets, Ohka, and Helling, it's only a matter of time before the pitching implodes. We have been witnessing that for a while now.. Very inconsistent. We still aren't out of it (like the Pirates), but we're not exactly in it.

I don't care, though. It's fun to watch this team most of the time, and it'll be something to reflect on in a couple years.

Quote:
Happydays, i'm sure everyone here at BF.net will sadly miss you and all 70 of your posts..

Nothing like saying "screw you" to a fellow Brewer fan. Way to represent BF.net.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

steve267268,

In your one post, you handed the team two excuses. Sure they are down two or (three) starters if you count Helling, but just about every other team in the division is down at least one starter including last year's Cy Young winner.

And yes Prince is young, but for the most part this team has a lot of key veterans in the lineup, more so than many teams.

If this team is ever going to get there, they have to stop looking for excuses and start playing winning smart baseball. Fortunately its only June 1st.

Provisional Member

Someone explain to me how this season is going to be different from 2001 or 2004. In 01 after a PNC sweep we went 30-56. In 04 after a PNC sweep we went 26-56. And those two teams were pretty healthy at the time of the sweep. This year we have an offense that can only hit for power, one good starter, one mediocre starter, and three bad starters, a worthless bullpen, and injury problems with no end in sight.

So someone please explain how this year will be any different.

Someone explain to me how this season is going to be different from 2001 or 2004.

Even with injuries, this team has more talent.

If this team is ever going to get there, they have to stop looking for excuses and start playing winning smart baseball.

Teams win games with talent, not attitude.

Community Moderator

You seriously have never seen anyone post that? Please.

I have not seen that posted within the last month for sure. Good yes, nothing about elite.

If the posts are so abundant, you should have no trouble finding a couple to link, right?

Provisional Member

Even with injuries, this team has more talent.

How do you figure? In 01 the offense was spectacular with Burnitz, Sexson, Jenkins, Hernandez all red hot at the time of the sweep. In 04 all five pitchers were at .500 or above at the time. This team has neither. The hitters have raw talent, but they are cooling down fast and that talented rotation is Capuano, Bush, Davis, Eveland and ?. How can you call that more talented?

Verified Member
Quote:
Before everyone jumps off a ledge, just remember we have a better record than the....Angels, A's Cubs Twins and almost Cleveland and Houston.

There is no relavence comparing records with American League teams as the overwhealming majority of their games are not against common opponents, and then there is the DH which can be a big differentiation when comparing teams.

What matters is that they are 8.5 behind St.Louis, 4.5 behind LA, 3.5 behind Cincinnati and 2.5 behind Atlanta after 50+ games. Those are the 2nd place teams in the NL divisions, along with the Cardinals 1st in the Brewers division.

What matters is that the overall trend during the last 50 games has been playing losing baseball, and that they have been exposed as pretenders by the Pittsburgh Pirates.

Community Moderator

I've seen turnbow put in a sentence with Rivera, Gagne and (pre-Pujols) Lidge recently. Will that qualify for elite enough, or does it have to be semantically explicit?

I'd like to see links, as I said.

I have not seen that posted within the last month for sure.

You don't say? I wonder why.

When Turnbow was given his last contract it was debated about at great length. I find it hard to believe you have no recollection of anyone ever suggesting Turnbow was among the best closers in the game. I disagreed then and I obviously disagree now.

Quote:
I've seen turnbow put in a sentence with Rivera, Gagne and (pre-Pujols) Lidge recently. Will that qualify for elite enough, or does it have to be semantically explicit?

I'd like to see links, as I said.

I was involved in that conversation as well. If you want proof, tell ezboard to make their search function not suck.

Quote:
hey Joe 3 of the Clubs are in the American league and no Bearing on us.

Apparently you don't get the point I was trying to make. All of those teams were expected to be better than us this season/contend for the playoffs and I don't see people counting the A's and Angels out yet.

Quote:
please stop trying to find that silver lining after the team loss

Please stop trying to make it seem as the world is about to end and this team is doomed for another 90 loss season. I'd be willing to be a lot of money that if we sweep the Nats, you'll be back here singing the Brewers praises on Monday.

I like your attitude, BrewCrewIn2004.

I'm not done with these guys yet. They never play well in PNC Park, and the Pirates are really hot right now. I'm not going to bank on any of the injured pitchers coming back this season (really, I'm not), but I think that we can depend on all the starting pitchers but Capuano to improve.

If the hitting could get more consistent and the pitching could improve to a manageable level, I think the Brewers could at least make a run at a winning season.

Archived