Brewer Fanatic

Excitement becoming the norm in Brewer Nation?

brewerjamie15

Fasten Your Seatbelts….

By Jordan "Trainwreck" Klimeck

Of Sportsradio 1250 WSSP

Well what can be said about the Brewers that can't be said already? Everyone in Brewer nation is aware of how excellent the team has become at finding a way to miss the playoffs. Earlier this year, I even saw an article on another website with a breakdown of what caused the Crew to miss the postseason each and every year since 1982. The team has become so good at never having a taste of the postseason that I have even used their lack of success to my advantage. The typical pick up line goes something like this … "of course I'm a loyal guy…. I'm a Brewer fan. I mean let's be honest here, haven't I had the opportunity to explore greener pastures over the years?" Usually when the ladies hear that, they just melt knowing they can trust me not to cheat on them. Well, ok, not really… after all I am the trainwreck but enough about me…

The point is, we ALL are well aware of the Brewers' consistent track record of disappointing. The question I am going to attempt to answer is… can they FINALLY get over the hump?

Let's look at the stats for a second. I am writing this on the evening of September 3rd, in the thick of late-season pressure cooker territory. With the just completed loss to the Mets, the Brewers are now five games behind the Cubs in the NL Central. The Phillies are now just four games behind the Brewers in the Wild Card and the Cardinals and Astros aren't exactly laying down and dying. The Astros have won nine out of their last 11 and the Cardinals are still just a "nice run" away from making things very interesting. Meanwhile, the Brewers have now LOST 16 of their last 27 at home, and they have 13 home games remaining. Their last 27 on the road? Glad you asked. They have WON 20 of 27.

Coming up are CRUCIAL games against the Cubs and Phillies. Obviously every game is crucial as far as wins go, but there are some important chunks of home games left, and the Brewers haven't exactly been taking the world by storm while playing in Milwaukee lately. With seven home games left to play before traveling to Philadelphia, it is conceivable that the Crew may only hold a 1.5 game lead on the wild card when they roll into Pennsylvania.

Can you imagine holding a 1.5 game lead over the wild card heading into a four game series against the team that trails you? It could happen. While the Cubs and Phillies games are do or die for the Crew, the wins should really start stacking up here at home against the Padres and the Reds. They have to get it done. I don't know which is worse, playing so bad for so long and not having a shot at the playoffs, or racking up a lot of wins and still somehow coming up short.

My prediction: the Brewers make the playoffs but JUST BARELY and it will come down to the last two days of the season. I wouldn't have it any other way.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Archived