Brewer Fanatic

Love Jams '08

thebruce44

A little background before I ask for help with this task: Last weekend I was in a limo for a bachelor party. Knowing that nobody else would think of it, I was planning to make a mix cd for the ride (clubby-ish songs that don't suck), but I ran out of time so we were forced to listen to the radio...obviously not ideal when your pimping around town in a limo but nobody was mad at me since they didn't think of making one until we were listening to commercials.

Next weekend, I have a wedding (not the same guy as the limo bachelor party) that I am standing up in. We are suppose to ride in a limo from the Church to the reception and I don't want to be caught listening to the radio again. My plan is to suprise everyone by pulling out a CD when we get in the limo and give it to the married couple afterwards as a sort of joke gift.

I am well known by my friends as the person who takes something small like this and blows it out of proportion; so this is sorta a joke, but I also want it to be a nice thing for them. Last night I sat down and came up with a preliminary list of "love songs" that I like and I think the couple would like too. I have listed them below. You may notice the common theme is that they are more upbeat and not at all sappy. Everyone in the wedding party is between 21-27 so I want this cd to rock out more than be romantic. I want some of the songs to be a little funny/suprising when they come on too.

Below is my preliminary list. Please, if you can think of anything else post it here. I have rhapsody and can check out any song. I know there is a lot of musical knowledge here in addition to baseball knowledge. Also note that I am not necessarily going for obscurity here, as I know there is a very large range of musical interests (i.e. a lot of hipsters) on this site. I want people to be able to sing along or at least know the song that is playing for the most part.

If nothing else, this is a good spot to list love songs that aren't lame. Thanks for any help.

The Power Of Love - Huey Lewis and the News

Hello I Love You - The Doors

I'll Make Love to You - Boyz II Men

Hey Lover - LL Cool J

The Love - Tribe Called Quest

Love and Happiness - Al Green

I'm Still In Love With You - Al Green

Maybe I'm Amazed - Paul McCartney and Wings

Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On

Crazy Love - Van MOrrison

All of My Love - Led Zepplin

Baby I Need Your Loving - The Four Tops

Standing In The Shadows of Love - THe Four Tops

Happy Togeather - The Turtles

Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen

Nighttime - Josh Rouse

Love Vibration - Josh Rouse

You Got Me - The Roots

Could You Be Loved - Bob Marley

I Wanna Love and Treat You Right - Bob Marley

Caress Me Down - SUblime

Better Together - Jack Johnson

Love - G. Love and the Special Sauce

Your Touch - Black Keys

Have Love Will Travel - Black Keys

Your Touch - Black Keys

I'll Be Your Man - Black Keys

Obviously, I will be trimming this down in addition to adding songs that people suggest. As you can see, I like the Black Keys a lot. I think they will work well on the cd though because everyone either likes them or has not heard them yet.

EDIT: And it will be for sure starting with Huey Lewis and the News.

• God Only Knows - The Beach Boys (outside of the ones listed, probably the most obvious song I could think of)
  • The Cyring of Lot G - Yo La Tengo (pushing the limits of the categorizatin here, but it's a great song. Besides, when was the last time this site had a Yo La Tengo mention?)
  • Conquest - The White Stripes (for levity)

When I'm 64 - Beatles
You Might Think - Cars
Your My Best Friend - Queen
Anyone Else But You - Moldy Peaches

So Happy Together - Turtles

All I can think of right now.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Gimmie all your Lovin' - ZZ Top

Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley (that's right.... Rick-roll 'em!)

Addicted to Love - Robert Palmer

Hold My Hand - Hootie and the Blowfish (which I have a copy of from a CD one of my friends made for his wedding)

Do You Believe in Love? - Huey Lewis and the News (better song than Power of Love, IMO)

Stolen - Dashboard Confessional (lyrics even fit the season)

All I Need is a Miracle - Mike + the Mechanics

Love's Divine - Seal

Girlfriend - Matthew Sweet

Gimmie all your Lovin' and Girlfriend are two great rockin' recommendations given the context. Hootie has no clue what jammin' means (but he's pretty good on Sesame Street) http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Here are a few I can think of:

Beginnings - Chicago

Dance the Night Away - Van Halen (this is also a song played during Brewers radio games leading in from commercial breaks)

Bad Time - Grand Funk Railroad (a more playful Love Jam)

I Think I Love You -- Partridge Family

Unchained Melody -- Righteous Brothers -- Or Vito & the Salutations.

When a Man Loves a Woman -- Percy Sledge (NOT Michael Bolton he is the Kevin Costner of music, up until the point Kevin Costner joined a band and became the Kevin Costner of music)

So in Love -- Tymes

Kung Fu Fighting -- Karl Douglass

In the Still of the Night -- 5 Satins

I Only Have Eyes for You -- Flamingos

True --- Spandau Ballet

Try a Little Tenderness -- Otis Redding

Time After Time -- Cyndi Lauper

Loving You -- Minnie Ripperton

Baby I love Your Way -- Frampton

Only You -- Platters

When You Close Your Eyes -- Night Ranger

I Do -- J. Geils Band