Brewer Fanatic

Miller Park food policy change?

olsonnet

heard from a source recently that the carry-in policy will be changed next year and it's looking like no more bottles/liquids and quite possibly no carry-in food either.

they'll spin it as a way to get people in the park faster when there are large crowds (no having to check coolers or as many bags), but i think we know the real rea$on.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That policy change would really sadden me. When I'm actually motivated to eat healthy, I like to carry in my food since there really aren't that many healthy options in the stadium.

However, I don't know what this piece of info has to to do with this thread.[/s]

(edit: line removed to reflect thread split --1992)

I agree that a change in that policy would have a sizable backlash. It might also have a detrimental affect on concession sales-- if I can't bring in my own food, I'll eat somewhere else beforehand. Often I will bring in a sandwich and have a snack from a concession stand later on.

I think they should still let people carry in water and stuff. But I guess their argument would be that there are public water fountains all over the park anyway. Really, we usually just carry in a couple water bottles and maybe some peanuts or pistachios. We either tailgate before the game, or get a brat or whatever inside.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm going to about 25 games this year, not including playoffs, and hope to be able to do the same next year.

I simply can't afford to buy food or drink while I'm in the park or pay for parking, for all of those games.

I had better be able to bring in my one bottle of water and my one granola bar, and if I bring my 2-year old daughter, I better be able to bring in an apple or a pear, and some watered-down juice, for her snack.

Terrible idea. Brewers really need to rethink this.

Community Moderator

If the change occurs, the Brewers are asking for it...

It takes less than 5 seconds for our bag of peanuts/soda/chips to get checked. The cost of the items is maybe $7 total, but in the ballpark that would be $25 worth of stuff. Like many here, I don't have unlimited money to go to games, as it is already trouble enough to drive in from Madison and make arrangements. They will be able to get away with price increases and policy changes when the team is winning, but if they go back to being a 4th place team, I can guarantee you that crowds of 15,000 on weeknights will be back within 2-3 years.

I should add that we have carried stuff in for almost every game that we have been to, which is around 200 over the past 10 years.

Is it really that hard to not eat anything for 3 hours?
Well of course not. But it's a great, fan-friendly policy that people have gotten used to. I'm reminded of how cool the Brewers are for having this policy everytime I go to another venue. I don't care for most of the stadium food options and enjoy planning ahead to bring healthier food in. So few people know about this policy or take advantage of it as it is.

As others said, you gotta eat more than once every 3 hours? Golly.

Way to make eating food sound like a chore rather than something that can and should be enjoyed. Between the tailgaiting, concession stands, vendors, and whatnot, I think you'd be hard up to find more than a handful of people that think sporting events and food are mutually exclusive.

What's the source? Can you say?

We mostly bring beverages in and a few snacks, but we always purchase hot dogs, brats, etc. I would be very disappointed if they make a policy change regarding this. I'm wondering if Mark Antanasio had any input in this. Antanasio has been great for the Brewers in all aspects, however I think he tends to look at what other parks do. I'm not sure what the Angels or Dodgers policies are, but he needs to be aware that Milwaukee has a much different fan base that tends to be a lot more cost conscious than an East or West coast fan.

I've always been concerned that the carry in policy would change. Not by the Brewers but by MLB. I was actually surprised that they went back to allowing carry-ins after 9/11. I thought that would put an end to it permanently.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Lame. I usually eat something at the game during weekdays, hardly on weekends (Go tailgate!), but when I have 4 games in a week to watch, I simply can not afford to eat at the stadium. I carry in once or twice that week.

I guess if they are looking to increase per-ticket revenue, it'll work. But I'd see a big backlash and people making the decision to go less.

Anyone have the email address of the appropriate personnel for the Brewers that we could contact and voice our opinions regarding this? I know it's a "rumor" at this point, but I'd rather be proactive instead of reactive.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I had better be able to bring in my one bottle of water and my one granola bar...

Buy one drink in a bottle and then refill at the fountains bubblers, this is what I do with my first bottle of beer. Put the granola bar in your pocket and I'm sure you will be fine, if they change this policy.

Don't most ballparks allow carry-ins? I'm pretty sure Wrigley does, or did...have not been there in a while. Ah, yep...they do:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.c...chc/ballpark/security.jsp

Don't most ballparks allow carry-ins? I'm pretty sure Wrigley does, or did...have not been there in a while. Ah, yep...they do:

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.c...chc/ballpark/security.jsp

I looked at a few different ball parks. It appears that the Angels and Dodgers have pretty strict policies (no coolers - soft or hard sided - and only water in a store bought bottle of less than 1 liter) compared to the midwestern parks. Antanasio lives in LA and, as I said in a previous post, seems to get ideas from what they do in LA (i.e. - ribbon board).

What about peanuts? Imho, peanuts should be allowed to be brought into every MLB park. It's part of baseball. The price they charge for the not very large bag of peanuts in the stadium is crazy..not to mention they are not very good peanuts.

This would anger me about as much as anything the Brewers could do. I won't pay $10 for a hot dog and bottle of water. As someone who goes to a lot of games, I can't afford to do that, and time doesn't always allow for eating beforehand. This move would alienate me and my family and cause us to attend fewer games, I'm afraid. The Brewers may not have a problem with this now, but who will be out there when they suck again? The people who are going to be most affected by this are the ones who kept the park warm for everyone else.

As others said, you gotta eat more than once every 3 hours? Golly.

That's not really the point. I attend a ton of games, but I'm naturally going to need a bottle of water or a snack to get me through the game comfortably. I save at least a hundred dollars a year because of the carry-in policy. Not everyone going to the game is going to study the game. Most go to hang out with friends, family, etc. An amended or eliminated carry-in policy will likely deter many people who will decide that going to the ballpark is too expensive of an endeavor. Mark A. needs to think twice about a policy change.

If I only went to one or two games a year, wouldn't be a problem. I'd probably be buying 2 or 3 beers, a couple brats and probably some peanuts.

But not for the amount of games I am fortunate enough to be able to attend. I have to stretch my budget as it is, just to fit in the ticket price of our 20-game pack. Probably shouldn't even be doing that these days, but I do need some kind of entertainment besides TV.

And on the times I would like to bring my daughter, there isn't much I can get for her, that I would even let her eat outside of the park.

Think of a family of four. They bring in four bottles of water at probably $1 total cost, or buy them inside for what, $16? Add on some peanuts or something. Some famlies don't have the luxury of thowing $15 or more, down the drain on overpriced food. As each year goes by, all sports not just the Brewers and baseball, are pricing the average family right out of the park. I see this as one more step in that direction.

who will be out there when they suck again? The people who are going to be most affected by this are the ones who kept the park warm for everyone else.

Let's hope they don't suck again. Would you rather have it be cheaper to go to the games and have a poor team or have to pay more and have them remain good? If the latter, would you rather have to reduce the amount of carry-ins and buy more over-priced consessions or pay more for tickets?

Archived