Brewer Fanatic

should we really worry about Houston

brewmann04
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point that many were making was that for Houston to pass us we would have to play terrible baseball (which we are) and that some other team would pass us first (which may or may not happen but I would say Philly is the team to be worried about). Those people were right on. We played bad and now Philly (and Houston) are ready to pass us. Some may have underestimated Houston but i think it is more that we have played worse than anyone could have imagined.

I just dont understand the point of bragging up your prediction. I said I was worried about Houston as did a few others but I get no pleasure out of being right here. It was a lucky guess, and it was a calculated prediction because if Houston did not make a run it was easy to pass off as a long shot.

If sports fans had to even bet $10 every time they wanted to share their predictions with the world, you'd have a lot less predictions. As it currently stands, every possible result is predicted by someone, so there's always someone who can gloat about their awesomeness. Of course, they usually wait until they are right but hey. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

The Astros have been an insane tear and STILL have something like a 10:1 shot at making the playoffs. I know, I know... but they are hot! We'll see.

The point that many were making was that for Houston to pass us we would have to play terrible baseball (which we are) and that some other team would pass us first (which may or may not happen but I would say Philly is the team to be worried about). Those people were right on. We played bad and now Philly (and Houston) are ready to pass us.
This is what brewmann keeps forgetting while bragging about a prediction that has yet to come true.

If the Astros pass the Brewers, it would be A LOT more because of the Brewers than it would be because of the Astros.

no i just making a prediction based on each team is currently playing and their schedule.

I will be pissed if they blow this lead i have been a fan for a long long time and been continue to be frustrated by this team play.

living here in Ny is not very easy being a brewer fan ,but my loyalty to crew should never be questioned.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say the Astros are pretty much out of it now...they had some tough luck with both the Hurricane situation and the relocation of the games to Milwaukee, but they were playing way over their heads.

Still a heck of a run, but 4.5 back with 5/6 to play is probably not going to happen.

Yes, the hurricane is an excuse, but I think it's a valid one. They had to deal with their city being torn apart, worrying about their families, etc. I don't know what that's like being in Wisconsin but I can see how they had bigger things to worry about that baseball.

Being put in Milwaukee was just another dimension to it.

I think we should worry about Houston next year. Getting as close as they did this year will just make them want to spend even more money this offseason to get over the top. I am sure they think they are a starter away from the playoffs at this point. That is something I would disagree with since I think they are a 75 win team playing like they are an 85 win team.

Next Season, their rotation will most likely be Oswalt, Sheets, Wolf, Backe, whoever.

Unless the Brewers make some dramatic splashes in Free Agency or Trade, they will likely have the 4th best rotation in the division and likely will fall in line in the standings likewise around 4th/5th.

See I think this pretty much means Houston is a bad team that even a superhuman performance by Lance Berkman could do very much to help them go anywhere. Tejeda's almost Bill Hall bad and is really expensive, Lee is about out his prime, and Hunter Pence is a bust.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
whoever = Wandy Rodriguez who's been pretty decent this year. Granted he's 28 or 29 and unlikely to duplicate but.......what was the question?
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

See I think this pretty much means Houston is a bad team that even a superhuman performance by Lance Berkman could do very much to help them go anywhere. Tejeda's almost Bill Hall bad and is really expensive, Lee is about out his prime, and Hunter Pence is a bust.
The guy's got a .785 OPS in his 2nd year, with 61 extra base hits and he's a bust? Then Corey Hart is obviously a "bust" too.

Tejada hit .283 vs righties and just a shade higher vs. lefties, so unlike Hall he's not completely worthless vs 2/3rds of the pitchers in the league.

Pence's BABIP came down from an ungodly .378 in 2007 to a more normal .305 in 2008 and his OBP came down to .315. Now if they move him back to CF you can deal with it, but he doesn't seem to have the talent for a corner position. As to Hart, he is King less and walking less while hitting more GBs, my guess is that he was told to go up there and be more agressive.

Tejeda is hitting .283 against RHers, but his OBP is still .309.

Pence's BABIP came down from an ungodly .378 in 2007 to a more normal .305 in 2008 and his OBP came down to .315. Now if they move him back to CF you can deal with it, but he doesn't seem to have the talent for a corner position.

He's obviously not hitting like he did as a rookie, but to call him a "bust" is a bit heavy in my opinion. 24 homers, 33 doubles, and 80 RBI with a .780 OPS is not a guy who's dragging your offense down.

Tejeda is hitting .283 against RHers, but his OBP is still .309.

Yes, his OBP is .309, but he does hit. NL avg of righties vs. righties is .315/.397/.711. Tejada is .313/.418/.731 vs righties, so his SLG makes up for the tiny drop from league average in OPS. Hall is worthless vs. righties. .243 OBP and a .562 OPS. That's worse than a backup catcher. To compare the 2 really isn't even close, again, in my opinion.

Archived