Brewer Fanatic

should we really worry about Houston

brewmann04

If Houston goes nuts and finishes 18-1 or something absurd like that, you gotta hand it to them that they got it done. Seeing as last year's Rockies finish is pretty much a big-time fluke event, I'll be very surprised if the 'Stros can do it the very next season.

I'm not worried about any other team except the Brewers. Like someone else said, if they lose out on the playoffs they will have no one but themselves to blame for it. And I'll cry in my beer, I'm pretty sure.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW, anyone still questioning the Wolf and Hawkins pick-ups? They are 8-1 in Wolf's starts, and Hawkins has a 0.00 ERA over 13 innings with 19 strikeouts. Ed Wade for GM of the Year!

What I find more impressive is how Wade inspired the offense to the 6.1 runs per start it's averaged for Wolf's games so far. Wade for GM & Manager of the year!

Wolf has been around where he should have been expected -- a tick above league-average -- for Houston.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

What I find more impressive is how Wade inspired the offense to the 6.1 runs per start it's averaged for Wolf's games so far.
Ding Ding Ding! Thank goodness they don't give away post-season awards for what your players and teams do only from August 1st to the end of the season. 6.1 runs per game could make Dave Bush 8-1 as well, that's just simply the law of averages running its course where normal ball games is runs scored 5 vs runs given up 5. You push it to 6 and what does that say about your win expectancy. TLB was right on with his assessment and Ed Wade for GM of the Year is laughable.

Yes I am worried. The Astros surge means that the Brewers would have a harder time backing into the playoffs. I realize the Brewers haold their own cards but I want playoffs, anyway possible. That means, I don't care if they lose every series from here on out as long as they get in. The Astros being just one more team (with the Cards/Brewers/Phils) now means that more than likely all four teams won't struggle.

Big series with the Cubs this weekend (who they did just sweep). Assuming we can win a couple in Philly, we'll either be in a great spot for the division, or the Astros will be 5-6 back.

Personally, I just want to get in, so I'm almost rooting for the Astros to lose to the Cubs...eliminate them once and for all. I hope. This is all assuming we can actually win a couple games in Philly....

Per ESPN:

Astros, since July 27

• Have gone 32-11.

• Wigginton (32) and Blum (29) lead the team in RBIs.

• Are now 16-2 record in games started by Oswalt and Randy Wolf. Oswalt alone is 7-1 with a 2.20 ERA.

• Valverde and LaTroy Hawkins have allowed one run in 34 2/3 innings. Valverde has 16 saves during the hot streak.

• Won all four extra-inning games they've played.

• Posted a 22-8 record without Lee.

They'll come to earth eventually, but hopefully at the right time.

"Houston has played very well, they seem to be doing it with smoke and mirrors but they are getting the job done. Their pitching was god awful but somehow those same pitchers are all of a sudden good. I just hope Wade thinks these same pitchers will duplicate their 2nd halves next year, because they will most likely not be able to duplicate this."

If they aren't good pitchers, they most likely won't keep it up this year. That's the thing people are missing when they say, "But they are playing really well right now!" If the Astros have players overperforming, they are more likely to revert back to career norms than continue to be "hot". Now many times does a team have to flip back and forth between hot and cold in one season before people realize this?

I am confused by this comment. I thought I implied that the Astros pitchers pretty much suck but are pitching well right now and that I hope Wade brings tham back next year because they will probably suck again?

I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that sucky pitchers can go on a 2 month hot streak so I think the Astros pitching could hold up this year but sooner or later (hopefully sooner) they will start to suck again

I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that sucky pitchers can go on a 2 month hot streak so I think the Astros pitching could hold up this year but sooner or later (hopefully sooner) they will start to suck again

I wasn't disagreeing with anything you said. They certainly could keep it up. If they are bad pitchers, though, I wouldn't expect it. That's all.

and the astros agian are winningf and going to gain a game on the crew ,jsut want credit when the astros take the WC

It seems like a popular pastime on the internet to make a bunch of bold predictions and then want to get credit for the one or two that actually prove correct. If I have you all wrong, I'll tell you what... I will bet you some cash that they won't. I'll even be nice and give you 3:1 odds. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Loser donates to brewerfan.net.

One of these days, someone is going to take me on one of my wagers!

Prop to the Astros

Their fans had to think their season was toast and be shaking their heads at the pickups of Wolf/Hawkins, but now the team is on a massive role while teams like the Brewers have on the gag collar. They may not end up in the playoffs, but it has to be great fun right now for their fans as they just keep winning nearly every night why we are getting beat at home by bottom feeding teams.

To be left for dead like they were and then to be back in it while their team is on fire has to be great fun for their fans. Even though we still have a three game lead on the Stros, i'm kind envious of their fans because things feel so grim for the Brewers while Astros fans have to feel excited like something special might be happening for their team this year.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yes you are and you will deserve a cookie and a pat on the back for being right if it actually happens.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I might be one of the few on this board that said to watch out for the Astros comming on to take the wild card no Matter

what % everyone else game them.

Yep and I'm sure somebody said look out for the Rockies and the Y ankees during their last hot streaks and look where that got them. Sometimes 1% longshots happen and the Astros are in position to have a small chance to be that team, I'm really impressed.

But Ladies and Gentlemen it does now look as the Astros just might be that team,I believe they have done this in the past .

Just to bad it took another collaspe by our Brewers .As of now the brewers have show no signs of life and a major inability to win

games. What Funny everyone here will be saying it Neds fault and he needs to be fired ,But it the Players on the Field who are at fault here. Sounds like some of them don't think they should be booed at home, Too bad win and that won't happen.

But Ladies and Gentlemen it does now look as the Astros just might be that team,I believe they have done this in the past .

Just to bad it took another collaspe by our Brewers .As of now the brewers have show no signs of life and a major inability to win

It's funny... the date on your post says 9/12/08. By my count, the Brewers are ahead of the Astros by 3 games on that date... did I take a time machine or something? I didn't realize the season had ended. Dang! Hey did Sabathia win the NL Cy Young? I can't believe it... I must've slept too long or something.

Sounds like some of them don't think they should be booed at home, Too bad win and that won't happen.

Got it! Go 82-0 at home, fans will send Oreos.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

1. Some people actually did agree with you that they were worth worrying about, so please stop painting yourself as some martyr lone genius, and

2. The season isn't over yet so save your crowing. No one's "right" yet, and at any rate, if the Brewers choke this away it'll have as much if not more to do with the Brewers as the Astros.

Archived