Brewer Fanatic

Why not let Gamel give it a go?

Madtown Bomber
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why not let him? Because he's not some washed up veteran that Yost prefers. See Helms...Counsell...and now Lamb.

What? Lamb hasn't even played yet. Helms PT dropped big time once other options arrived. And is Counsell really worse than the other options now? Hall has been pretty good at defense this year, and Counsell is always steady. I haven't seen Gamel play at third base, but I don't feel like returning to poor quality defense, giving up extra outs. Who knows what kind of butterflies Gamel has going on that would affect his offense and defense. Hall and Counsell may not be the strength of the team, but we got to where we are with them (and Branyan for a bit). I don't feel like trying new things at this point of the season at our current position in the standings.

UndraftedFA wrote:

Hall has been pretty good at defense this year

I disagree with that. Hall has been better lately, but he started out the year playing really poor defense. His arm is strong, but not very accurate. He makes some spectacular plays and has improved on the routine ones. Overall I would say he is average at best.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

A side note on Gamel. I know we're all excited about his first half in Huntsville and I'm in the camp that he should start a couple of games before the season ends, but his bat is not going to be a 25 - 30 HR bat in the majors for a few years. He needs to bulk up and get stronger, which he will.

I don't understand this. Why should anyone be expecting Gamel to hit 30 HR, that they need to be told not to expect it? You're right, this is his season high of 20 HR, we shouldn't expect him to hit 30 HR next year. Would you be unsatisfied with Gamel if he didn't hit 30 HR next year? the zMLE of Gamel's year this year is .295/.345/.472 with about 21 HR and 39 doubles over a 162 game pace.

You say he needs to bulk up and get stronger. Are you saying he needs to do that to hit 30 HR, or that if he doesn't hit 30 HR, he won't be a good option at 3B? IMO, he shouldn't bulk up if he wants to stay at 3B.

What? Lamb hasn't even played yet. Helms PT dropped big time once other options arrived. And is Counsell really worse than the other options now? Hall has been pretty good at defense this year, and Counsell is always steady.

I take it you missed two years ago when Hart was up and we got to see Jenkins and Mench stinking it up regularly before he finally got playing time as a full timer last year.

Yost is going to go with the players that got him to this point in the season....to a fault. I don't know if Gamel is the answer, but there are and will be situations this year where other options may appear better but he will stick with his guys. It reminds me of the '93 world series when Phillies mgr Fergosi kept using Mitch (wild thing) Williams when he clearly didn't have it. The analysts commented on the drop in velocity on his fastball, which was topping out at 88-90. Fergosi's answer at post game was "I'm going to go with the players that got us here".

Neither Gamel nor Escobar are going to be on the post season roster (well Escobar could be if Hardy or Counsell gets hurt, but thats the only way). No reason to give playing time to players who are most likely going to struggle and who aren't going to be the players you'll be using in 3 weeks.

I don't understand this. Why should anyone be expecting Gamel to hit 30 HR, that they need to be told not to expect it? You're right, this is his season high of 20 HR, we shouldn't expect him to hit 30 HR next year. Would you be unsatisfied with Gamel if he didn't hit 30 HR next year? the zMLE of Gamel's year this year is .295/.345/.472 with about 21 HR and 39 doubles over a 162 game pace.

You say he needs to bulk up and get stronger. Are you saying he needs to do that to hit 30 HR, or that if he doesn't hit 30 HR, he won't be a good option at 3B? IMO, he shouldn't bulk up if he wants to stay at 3B.

I don't understand what you're saying. If you've followed the minor league forum, there is plenty of 'hype' around Gamel. We have been spoiled to a certain degree because of Braun and it's not normal. I'm just saying to caution some high expectations. I personally would take 15 or 20 HRs his frist year in the bigs.

Also, in regards to getting stronger have you seen Gamel ever play? He's clearly small compared to most MLB players and like most players over time 'fill in'. I'm not saying he needs to be McGwire big, but he clearly has the frame to put on 10 - 15 pounds.

If you've followed the minor league forum, there is plenty of 'hype' around Gamel.

There should be plenty of hype around Gamel. There was certainly higher expectations (or maybe hope) when he was destroying the ball a few months ago. Is there someone now that is saying that they expect Gamel to hit 30 HR next year?

Also, in regards to getting stronger have you seen Gamel ever play? He's clearly small compared to most MLB players and like most players over time 'fill in'.

I've seen snippets. He looks good to me. I would definitely dispute that he is clearly small compared to most MLB players. Braun isn't a huge guy and he has plenty of HR power.

I'm not saying he needs to be McGwire big, but he clearly has the frame to put on 10 - 15 pounds.

You previously said "he needs to bulk up and get stronger. That is different than saying he has the frame to grow, which as you said is fairly common for players in their early-mid twenties. Maybe you didn't intend the word need to be so strong, but that seemed like you were saying that he wouldn't be what you thought he should be if he didn't bulk up.

I say we should play Gamel. We need all the offense we can get at this point and Hall has been nothing less than an absolute albatross on this team. Gamel couldnt possibly be any worse than Hall and might be appreciably better.
This is true. Bill Hall has to be the worst third baseman in the NL. Gamel should be able to accomplish at least that.

I say we should play Gamel. We need all the offense we can get at this point and Hall has been nothing less than an absolute albatross on this team. Gamel couldnt possibly be any worse than Hall and might be appreciably better.
That's what I don't get. I could understand not playing him if we were getting at least average production from third base, but Counsell and Hall are terrible. Yeah, maybe Gamel will be terrible too but what do we lose if he is? Nothing. Now if he plays well, we gain a lot.

There should be plenty of hype around Gamel. There was certainly higher expectations (or maybe hope) when he was destroying the ball a few months ago. Is there someone now that is saying that they expect Gamel to hit 30 HR next year?

I'm talking about the hype. I don't know if anyone flat out said 30 HR, but you can go dig around to prove me wrong. I'm saying the 'hype' isn't saying 'Start Gamel he'll hit .260 with 3 HRs the rest of the way!' Look at the minor league forum. And AGAIN we've been spoiled.

I've seen snippets. He looks good to me. I would definitely dispute that he is clearly small compared to most MLB players. Braun isn't a huge guy and he has plenty of HR power.

Braun is at least 20 lbs heavier than Gamel...and that's from the minors guys. Braun isn't huge, but Gamel has plenty of room to grow. Did you see his first at-bat with the Brewers? He clearly is smallish at this point and that's not a knock on him, but it's how players develop.

You previously said "he needs to bulk up and get stronger. That is different than saying he has the frame to grow, which as you said is fairly common for players in their early-mid twenties. Maybe you didn't intend the word need to be so strong, but that seemed like you were saying that he wouldn't be what you thought he should be if he didn't bulk up.

I have no clue what your point means at all. So bulking up and getting stronger means gaining 50 lbs or what? He still needs to bulk up and get stronger. He has a frame that allows it. I have zero idea what you're picking on this for. If Gamel is going to be a 'power' hitter in the bigs, he DOES have to bulk up and get stronger and that doesn't mean he needs whatever crazy idea you think that means. A frame to grow doesn't mean go eat a buch of fast food. I think you are way off base since the Brewers like their players 'bulked' up when they are in AAA or are new to the bigs. What does this mean? Well you work out and get stronger. Did you see the reports on Hardy and Hart this year? The both gained a ton of muscle...bulking up or not if you want to nitpick on something else let me know.

TH claims to know so much about minor league baseball and at times he doesn't show it.

Imho the only opinions that should be trusted on minor-leaguers are from people who watch them play on at least a semi-regular basis. TH obviously doesn't have the time to do so during the regular season. What concerns me is that one of the things we heard about Braun was that 'it was his footwork' and he could improve. I sincerely hope Mat can shore up those defensive concerns.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...
Tidbits

Third baseman Mat Gamel, a September callup considered one of Milwaukee's top prospects, was sent back to Milwaukee on Wednesday night to see head team physician William Raasch about a sore elbow.

Well, this probably explains quite a bit.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived