Brewer Fanatic

6/3/06 - Washington (O'Connor) v. Brewers (Davis) 6:05 CST

Mass Haas
Quote:
1 of those 6 games was on Turnbow. If you're looking to blame someone for this losing streak, there are plenty of other players to look at other than Turnbow. And I wasn't defending his performance today, just saying that it's never fair to expect a closer to not give up 1 hit or walk in an inning.

Actually, 2 out of these last 7 games have been on Turnbow. That's why they call him a CLOSER -- his job is to CLOSE out games. If he did that in the 2 said games, we're a .500 club right now instead of 4 under. No, I don't expect him not to ever give up a hit or a walk, but I do expect him not to allow 2 runs to lose the game in 1 inning every time he pitches, like he has done his last 2 outings. That's not what we pay him for -- we have other guys who can do that. They're down at AA and AAA.

I hope Turnbow can figure it out. I think he has the stuff and I think he's just hit a rut. I also feel it was shameful for Yost to replace him with Shouse -- not saying there is a connection, but it doesn't seem that he has been the same since. Never forget how much of the game is mental...

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2 of 7 now, but when I typed that the Brewers hadn't quite lost yet http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I in no way was defending Turnbow's last 2 outings; they really haven't been good. I was only meaning to respond to a poster's comment saying that even when Turnbow gets a save, he can't get three straight outs....he always comes close to blowing it (something along those lines). Yes, Turnbow hasn't been doing well lately. However, all players go through ups and downs. I'm not ready yet to give up on Turnbow and say he sucks. I think when all is said and done he'll finish the year with around a 3.00 ERA or so..

AJAY has a point. In a way (aided by hindsight of course), I would not have minded Doug batting for himself in the 8th and trying for the CG (with a quick hook) in the 9th. His pitch count was 106, I believe, maybe 107 because the scoreboard tends to be slow to add the last pitch of an inning. The CG wasn't implausible, given how Sharpie seemed to be in a groove.

Still, I can see why Ned wanted to increase the chance of insurance runs and Prince was a solid choice for PH at that moment. Kind of makes you want to slap Koskie 'longside the head, but what's done is done.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived