Brewer Fanatic

Does this team have the mental strength to make it?

InBraunWeTrust

Simple fact is that this team tanked the past two years. If they do it again this year, it's a trend. I don't know if it's the make-up of the players, Yost, other factors, or all of the above. I will say it's no secret this team is built around slugging, not OBP. It's also no secret slugging will be more streaky than OBP. You just hope they get hot late September into October. I don't think it's unfair to point out franchise guys like Sheets and Fielder haven't been as productive as you would like down the stretch (so far.)

With all that said, it was one series. They were playing very good ball prior to this series, and if they play well the remainder of the HS all will be back on track.

It was interesting listening to Gabe Kapler this morning on Bob & Brian here in Milwaukee. Gabe was saying the mood in the locker room was really down after the team had lost the first two games to the Mets and he wondered whether he should say anything to get guys heads back up, but decided to wait it out a few more days.

It makes me wonder a bit of the guys are starting to press a little, knowing the goal is now in sight.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

I have to believe that making it is being mentally tough for 6 months, not just September. For 5 months, this team has been the 2nd best in the NL when it comes to winning games. I understand that it's painful to watch the team get swept the minute the calendar hits September, but I'd like to stop a minute and look at 140 games instead of the 3 to start the month. If the team goes 5-23 on the month, then maybe it was mental, but I'd have to remind some that this team was below .500 and in dead last nearing the 1st of June. Not 3rd, Not 4th, not 5th, but dead last. Dead last with the #2 pitcher out for the season. They had the resolve and mental toughness to continue churning forward and that has to account for something. They may not advance in the playoffs, but I think experience and mental toughness in winning these games against "playoff type" teams are two seperate things.

This team could have easily won 2 of 3 minus a Gagne crap of an inning and failing to execute with plenty of chances on night #2. Minus Bush's blowup inning, they lost 3-2 today. I'd be more apt to call it lack of experience than lack of mental toughness (See Mid-May).

"It's also no secret slugging will be more streaky than OBP."

Individual batting lines are going to be a bit more streaky, sure. Take a player that generates the majority of his offensive value in less AB and he'll be more prone to longer streaks from randomness alone. Have 8 guys like that and it would tend to smooth that out pretty well though. I'm not sure you'd even be able tot notice it at the team level, in terms of run production.

I have no proof at all to back this opinion but I agree that SLG seems like it would be more streaky than OBP. More 2B/HR means more crooked numbers and more OBP means a higher likelyhood of a 1 run inning. That at least makes some sort of sense to me even though I'd have to go into research mode to put it to the test.

I don't think I have the mental toughness to make it

Well said, sir. Every single pitch makes me anxious -- I know baseball is supposed to be fun, but waiting for this team to clinch has become a chore. Come mid-late September, I suspect this board will be frantic. As for the team, hopefully this weekend will be a litmus test. IMO, they're fine. This series was tough, but the Mets are the #2 team in the NL, and 2/3 games were close.

This team could have easily won 2 of 3 minus a Gagne crap of an inning and failing to execute with plenty of chances on night #2. Minus Bush's blowup inning, they lost 3-2 today. I'd be more apt to call it lack of experience than lack of mental toughness (See Mid-May).

On top of Gagne it was Riske and Stetter's inability to throw strikes, poor hitting with RISPs, defensive miscues, followed by more inability to throw strikes by Bush and just about the entire staff on Wednseday (50/50 balls/strikes isn't good). It all adds up to a lot of ifs and buts which makes it scary and frustrating.

As Russ mentioned one would think that the streakiness would even out and one guy's bad streak would be offset by one guy's good streak but the Brewers seem to be a highly correlated team (if that is possibl) i.e. if one pitcher can't find the zone they all lose the ability to throw strikes. Weeks and Hardy get on, Braun, Fielder, Hart, etc. can't hit or vice versa.

I just find it so frustrating in those games when pitchers can't throw strikes and seemingly every guy out of the pen follows suit by missing the zone by a foot like they all suddenly lost the ability to pitch. That seems like a mental issue.

Hopefully Bush doesn't revert back to his early season form when he couldn't throw strikes and got rocked when he did. I know he built up a nice streak against the dregs of the league but he hasn't shown the ability to work well against the playoff caliber teams during his recent 2.5 months of decent pitching.

This thread has gotten me thinking about the enormous pressure on guys like Hart, Hardy, Fielder, Weeks, Braun...A few years ago these players were (rightfully) hailed as the bright future of the Brewers organization that would bring the franchise back to the promised land.

Failure in '06 could be attributed to injuries and general lack of talent. '07 could be spun as a "practice run" of what a pennant race is like, but there really are no excuses this year. I'd imagine the potential weight of letting down the franchise and the hero-worshiping fans is immense on these kids. (Others may disagree, but I definitely still see them as "kids")

"I have no proof at all to back this opinion but I agree that SLG seems like it would be more streaky than OBP. More 2B/HR means more crooked numbers and more OBP means a higher likelyhood of a 1 run inning. That at least makes some sort of sense to me even though I'd have to go into research mode to put it to the test. "

I won't pretend to have done an exhaustive study but I've looked at run distributions (how often a team scores 0, 1, 2, 3 runs) and can't find anything obvious. It's not like the Brewers run distribution curve is an inverse bell curve or anything dramatic. I just think things get smoothed out enough by having 8 streaky hitters that it's hard to even notice it.

Archived